• ...and so much more!
  • Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    There are probably many people that are.

I guess that isn't the answer you are looking for.

What's up? You wanting to load some up for one?

Rangel

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Crosby Tx
    500 S&W Mag

My hand still hurts from shooting those beasts.

I've been tossing the idea around of starting reloading. A little overwhelming.

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    I agree. I think in order to make it worth your while you need to load and shoot a fairly large amount of ammo. I have no problem with that. I would like to do some comparing buying and re loading. I used to re load about 35 years ago so I am sure that any reference will be way out of line. I am going to decide if jumping into this with feet first and balls to the wall... Or Not.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    For the oddball rounds reloading is very worthwhile not only from a economical standpoint but also from a variety standpoint. You can load maximum or minimum loads and anywhere inbetween.

Plus reloading is a great hobby. I enjoy it almost as much as shooting.

Good equipment will last a lifetime and beyond. Divide the cost of equipment by how many rounds you will shoot over your lifetime. It is very cheap in the long run.

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    I am all for setting up a reloading rig. The problem is coming up with the space to set it up. It may require relocating to a bigger house.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I bolted my presses to wood and clamp them down when I reload. It saves a ton of space. The kitchen counter or table works fine for a bench.

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    I am all for setting up a reloading rig. The problem is coming up with the space to set it up. It may require relocating to a bigger house.
    I just picked up some 500 grain Hornady XTPs for my 500. I started reloading back in college in a 450 sqft apartment, using this portable reloading stand with a big ol '70s rock chucker and hopper mounted to it. (+ a corner of my desk for my powder scale) Works for me, and I still use it to this day. But I don't shoot huge quantities of the stuff I reload (.44, 10mm, 500mag etc)

Last edited:

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Im in austin so its probablu not practical buy I've got the stuff coming to start reloading. I've got a 500 too, and I've had good luck with hsm loads and theyre decently priced.

Gramps

Cultured Pirate
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Central Houston
    Great googly moogly that thing uses rifle powders! And large rifle primers. Wow this is a serious round, not sure I want to play in that pond!

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Agreed but whats the fun in that? Velocities will be around 38spl levels.
    A 400 to 700 (yes, 700+) grain semi-wadcutter trundling along at 850 feet per second delivers a heck of a wallop on the receiving end. A case full of Trail Boss (uncompressed; Trail Boss should never be compressed) and a plain lead, blunt bullet makes for a very useful load in the .500S&W.

I think I need one. I wonder if John Ross still has them in stock? Sugarland, did you check out the JR version of the Smith before you bought yours?

Gramps

Cultured Pirate
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Central Houston
    Ben I did not know 700gr projectiles were made! That changes things a little bit but for me, the 500 would only be a range gun. And at my age (30) if it don't hurt at least a little, it is not that much fun!

Top Bottom