• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DMC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    Navasota
    I am near Navasota and have press and dies for 500SW. I don't have it set up yet since the move here. But I might be willing to let you borrow it for a short time if you want.

Good luck with primers and powder!

Dred

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX
    500 S&W Mag

I've got a few presses set up in Stafford. I don't have dies, shell holder or shell plates.

If you are willing to supply the dies and holders, We can work the rest out. I've probably got an appropriate powder, and I can pick up primers down the street.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    500 S&W Mag

A 400 to 700 (yes, 700+) grain semi-wadcutter trundling along at 850 feet per second delivers a heck of a wallop on the receiving end. A case full of Trail Boss (uncompressed; Trail Boss should never be compressed) and a plain lead, blunt bullet makes for a very useful load in the .500S&W.

I think I need one. I wonder if John Ross still has them in stock? Sugarland, did you check out the JR version of the Smith before you bought yours?

Omg!!!
    John Ross is a hero of mine. I'm ruint, and have to have one now.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    It's beautiful!!!
    I've always thought it was kinda pretty. However, that web site hasn't been updated in ages. I sincerely doubt the price is unchanged and kinda doubt that they're still available. Still, I should check. Picture, btw, is from the web site and I'm in no way claiming any rights to it. I'd just like to see John Ross sell a few if they're still available.

largegun_zps1e1b79a3.jpg

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Id recommend the longer barrel pistols, the 10" models show good fps gains over the stubbys. With the 300gr pills and hot loads youre talking well over 2000#s of energy at the muzzle. According to this site 2600#s Bullet Kinetic Energy Calculator
    thats pretty crazy out of a pistol.

I really love mine
    IMAG0098.jpg

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Id recommend the longer barrel pistols, the 10" models show good fps gains over the stubbys.
    That is one pretty revolver. I'm not surprised you like it.

OTOH, I'm interested in a .500 for roughly the same sort of reasons I'd be interested in any big-bore revolver. I like to lob big bullets at 850-900fps. The JR edition lacks the ear-splitting brake found on most .500s, has enough barrel length to do what I consider practical, and is short and light enough to carry in a holster. If I ever purchase a .500, I won't be chasing high velocities and the revolver will almost certainly be something very different from the common configuration of a loud, braked beast that often sports a barrel so long a bipod is a reasonable accessory.

Different strokes for different folks. If I want ridiculous power from a handgun, I have my XPs and a Wichita in .308Win, a Merrill in .30-30, and a Competitor CP-1 in 7.62x39. If I wanted, I could have a .458 Lott barrel on the Competitor in short order. So I already have high-power options. The .500, however, appeals to me as a low-velocity, big-bullet thumper.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Id like to pick up a 460 eventually too for some cheaper shooting. I dont think theres any real use for these handguns other than theyre just fun.

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    Id like to pick up a 460 eventually too for some cheaper shooting. I dont think theres any real use for these handguns other than theyre just fun.

From what I hear they are for bear hunting with a bow. I guess if you piss one off at close range and the bear comes charging that pistol will stop them.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    500 S&W Mag

I'll one hand those bishes, rapid fire, together.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

Sugarland beat ya to it. He lit off both at one time.

Most of the Houston Crew/Hicksville Crew have shot these with one hand.
    It's amazing to say the least.

Top Bottom