• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Have you, or any of your immediate family, been to Vietnam fairly recently? I know a few people in situations analogous to yours who have, and all were very glad they went.

My mom and older sister (was born there) went back for the first time about 5 years ago.

Yup, they were super glad they did.
    It’s a shithole compared to when they left.

I wanna go one day, prolly when the boy is older.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    My mom and older sister (was born there) went back for the first time about 5 years ago.

Yup, they were super glad they did.
    It’s a shithole compared to when they left.

I wanna go one day, prolly when the boy is older.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    My wife became friendly with a Vietnamese lady restaurant owner years back. Once while having lunch after the rush she joined us. We got to talking about retirement and she suggested Vietnam. I think I pissed her off saying I wouldn’t think about living in a commie turd world shit hole, especially without guns!

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    The 20 SOS still exists at Cannon AFB in New Mexico, flying CV-22 Ospreys. Have your or your Dad reached out to them?

Most USAF units, and especially special operations squadrons, are very cognizant of their history and those who made it; and I am sure they would love to hear from him!

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I had several uncles and cousins that fought in Vietnam. I was just barely too young. My draft card is designated "1-H". I asked the lady at the draft board what that meant, since that wasn't listed as a possible designation. She said it means, "holding". OK, what does that mean? She said, "They're not drafting right now, but if they change their minds that "H" will magically turn into an "A", as in 'Your ass is going to Vietnam'. Any more questions?" Nope, clear as a bell.

That war was a mess, as most all of them are when you look at them closely. But regardless of how you feel about the politics and corruption, the men and women who served deserve our respect. They put their own lives on hold and in jeopardy. They did what had to be done, fighting and taking care of each other. For that they were mostly spit on by the hippies that took over American politics. They deserve a lot better.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    I had several uncles and cousins that fought in Vietnam. I was just barely too young. My draft card is designated "1-H". I asked the lady at the draft board what that meant, since that wasn't listed as a possible designation. She said it means, "holding". OK, what does that mean? She said, "They're not drafting right now, but if they change their minds that "H" will magically turn into an "A", as in 'Your ass is going to Vietnam'. Any more questions?" Nope, clear as a bell.

That war was a mess, as most all of them are when you look at them closely. But regardless of how you feel about the politics and corruption, the men and women who served deserve our respect. They put their own lives on hold and in jeopardy. They did what had to be done, fighting and taking care of each other. For that they were mostly spit on by the hippies that took over American politics. They deserve a lot better.
    Fifty two years ago I was leaving Phu Bai for my next duty station in Okinawa.
    I don't remember the 1H designation. When I received my draft card, I was 1A. When the lottery was created, my draft number was 002. At that time I was in Flight Training at Fort Wolters, TX.

Wudidiz

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 8, 2022
    Tomball
    Fifty two years ago I was leaving Phu Bai for my next duty station in Okinawa.
    I don't remember the 1H designation. When I received my draft card, I was 1A. When the lottery was created, my draft number was 002. At that time I was in Flight Training at Fort Wolters, TX.
    In 1968 the 5th SFG set up a SOG group at Phu Bai. I rotated in & out of Quang Tri from Okinawa with the 1st SFG In 1966-67.

thescoutranch

TN Transplant - We love living in TX
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Georgetown
    The 20 SOS still exists at Cannon AFB in New Mexico, flying CV-22 Ospreys. Have your or your Dad reached out to them?

Most USAF units, and especially special operations squadrons, are very cognizant of their history and those who made it; and I am sure they would love to hear from him!
    We have not reached out to the current squadron. My dad has progressing dementia / Alzheimer’s, unfortunately he doesn’t even remember his mission anymore.

When he was younger he was very active in the USAF helicopter pilots Association and the Legion of Valor.

My parents do still keep in touch with the door gunner that was on my dad’s mission. Real nice guy.

red442joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2022
    Michigan
    We have not reached out to the current squadron. My dad has progressing dementia / Alzheimer’s, unfortunately he doesn’t even remember his mission anymore.

When he was younger he was very active in the USAF helicopter pilots Association and the Legion of Valor.

My parents do still keep in touch with the door gunner that was on my dad’s mission. Real nice guy.
    I have spent a LOT of time reading on this site. Truly awe inspiring.

Joe

Top Bottom