Gun Zone Deals

6 dead, dying or obsolete handgun cartridges. An article by Field n Stream.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    cporfe,

Fwiw, I suspect that articles like the article in F&S on "6 obsolete calibers" gives someone "something to do", "fills blank space on pages" & little more than that.

FYI, I've NOT even SEEN any handgun/ammo in .45 GAP in a long time, so it may be DEAD already.

yours, satx
    .....and it's been awhile since I've seen 15mm Pinfire. Maybe the writer has a point.....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Ioannes

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2019
    US
    357 Sig till I die. 40 SW in the same guns too. Had no problem getting them during the shortage for range practice. 90 gr XTP in 357 Sig will put a hurting on a bad guy.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    357 Sig till I die. 40 SW in the same guns too. Had no problem getting them during the shortage for range practice. 90 gr XTP in 357 Sig will put a hurting on a bad guy.

loannes,

PERSONALLY, I like the .40 S&W 180 grin JHP as loaded by BUFFALO BORE, though there is NOTHING at all wrong with the .357 SIG..
    (FYI, I have a friend who is a THP TROOPER & he REALLY LIKES the .357 SIG.)

yours, satx

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    zackmars,

Inasmuch as you said that pistol bullets just "poke holes", are you saying that getting hit in the lungs with a .25ACP is really little/no different than being hit in the same lungs with a .45ACP??

FYI, I was shot with a "Baby Browning" in .25ACP in 1991 in South America & I didn't`
    even know that I had been shot until a CPL in our Civil Guard company said, "Is that blood on your shirt, Commandante??"
    (FYI, the creep that shot me quickly DoW, as he was hit in the K5 area with a 9x19mm 140 grain FMJ & passed away from shock/blood loss .)

yours, satx
    Can I come to your house and sit on the porch and listen to your lifes story?
    I'll bring beer or whatever you drink.
    Come on can I can I ...Pleaseeeeeeee

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Can I come to your house and sit on the porch and listen to your lifes story?
    I'll bring beer or whatever you drink.
    Come on can I can I ...Pleaseeeeeeee

45tex,

ALL that I drink these days is STRONG/ICED/SWEETENED coffee & occasionally iced tea, as I'm a LONG-TIME "Friend of Bill".
    (I'd guess that makes me a CHEAP DATE - At least that's what my lady says & then she CHUCKLES.)

ADDENDA: Last December a longtime friend of mine asked my lady what sort of "adult beverages" that he should buy me for Christmas.

She said, "None." = Steve asked, "OK. So what should I buy him?"

She responded, "No question: Red Velvet cake, with cream cheese icing."
    (The 7-layer cake arrived on 23DEC20. = MMMMM GOOD. - We were still enjoying it on New Years Eve.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    Obsolete does not mean that there is no niche for some older cartridges, I have a 92 Winchester in 32-20 Win with set trigger , schuetzen buttplate, windage tang sight and globe front sight which still makes holes in targets at the appropriate places. Super cheap to shoot, cast bullets from original Winchester dies, bench loaded at the range in a Winchester saddle die.. I do use modern powders vs Pyrodex (unless required by match). The brass lasts almost forever due to low chamber pressure.
    Also .. it is a takedown with a 25-20 carbine barrel for plinking!
    I enjoy my obsolete toys-41 Swiss Jaeger centerfire "modernized " from a percussion gun in the late 1800's is a hoot to shoot! A shout out to Starline for making golden oldies brass.
    A plus for 30 Luger over 9mm is the reload time, 2 dies vs 3
    Yes there are far more capable cartridges around , but none more fun;)

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I really like the 41mag, wish I could find a clean pre-lock S&W Mod 57 4” at a reasonable price. It’s a great companion to have when camping or hiking.

Windrunner50,

FYI, the SAPD here in San Antonio once issued the model 57 to all of their patrolmen. - When the revolvers were replaced, SAPD "surplused off" the Model 57 to individual officers, so you might well find one in The Alamo City, if you advertised in the local "news media"..
    (At that time & NOW, I had zero interest in acquiring a .41 MAG revolver., so I don't have any more information.)

BEST WISHES on your search.

yours, satx

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I have a Beretta 81BB 32 ACP. Very fun and pleasant gun to shoot. @Moonpie is correct, the 32 still has a following and several guns are still chambered for it. Kel-Tec discontinued their little P-32 and prices have gone through the roof for them. It's probably the smallest 32 out there.
    Where did you read that Kel-Tec discontinued the P-32?

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    GAP 45 was just a really bad idea for an unneeded cartridge. The H&R 32 mag is a very good cartridge, but no one is making new guns for it. The 40 S&W was over-hyped form the very beginning and never lived-up to its publicity. Our Son, the ATF Guy, told of a gunbattle in an adjacent Parish, in which a Deputy fired 5 rounds of 40 S&W back into a felon-shooter-driver's car door at close range. The Department thought the door was "armored", but no, it was a regular Chrysler sedan door. None had penetrated the lightweight steel door. leVieux

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Windrunner50,

FYI, the SAPD here in San Antonio once issued the model 57 to all of their patrolmen. - When the revolvers were replaced, SAPD "surplused off" the Model 57 to individual officers, so you might well find one in The Alamo City, if you advertised in the local "news media"..
    (At that time & NOW, I had zero interest in acquiring a .41 MAG revolver., so I don't have any more information.)

BEST WISHES on your search.

yours, satx

Your posts are always informative and to the point. Thank you !
    leVieux

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I remember reading that the P-32 was being discontinued at the same time as the P-11. They still show the P-32 on their website so I guess it's still in production.
    I noticed that too. Always out of stock. I have two of them. Never failed me.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    GAP 45 was just a really bad idea for an unneeded cartridge. The H&R 32 mag is a very good cartridge, but no one is making new guns for it. The 40 S&W was over-hyped form the very beginning and never lived-up to its publicity. Our Son, the ATF Guy, told of a gunbattle in an adjacent Parish, in which a Deputy fired 5 rounds of 40 S&W back into a felon-shooter-driver's car door at close range. The Department thought the door was "armored", but no, it was a regular Chrysler sedan door. None had penetrated the lightweight steel door. leVieux

laVieux,

AGREED 100% on the .45 Gap. = My brother has forgotten more about firearms/cartridges than most people will ever learn.- He is an internationally rated shooter in pistol & High-power rifle.
    Ed simply said that the Gap is a DUD & "the answer to a question that nobody should have asked".
    (I've never shot one, btw.)

I most certainly DISAGREE with the comment on the .40 S&W as it is a GREAT cartridge but MANY factory loads for it were/are simply INADEQUATE for shooting incidents with barricaded subjects BUT some are EXCELLENT.
    (The 180 grain BUFFALO BORE load for just one such factory load.)
    Inasmuch as a considerable number of handguns were bought by departments that previously issued .38spl revolvers & the "powers that be" didn't really want a MORE POWERFUL handgun for general issue so the "management" requested loads that were FAR from powerful. = As the ammo makers are in business to make money, several responded with a "light recoiling"/.38 SPL power level.

yours, satx

Last edited:

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    re: Kel-Tec P-32
    As I understand it the P-32 is still in production.
    The issue is Kel-Tec manufactures "batches" of one type of firearm. They make something for a while then convert their production line to something else.
    Currently they're producing something else.
    Hence the dearth of P-32's.
    Their focus right now is the demand for the PMR-30, CMR-30, P-17, and CP-33.
    These are proving to be huge sellers for K-T.

Not long ago I took the old Seecamp LWS-32 out for a pre-range trip cleaning and inspection.
    Much to my dismay a crack in the slide was found.
    Moonpie was upset. Moonpie had carried this little Seecamp from sea to shining sea for over 25yrs.
    Contacting the current producers of Seecamp pistols Moonpie was informed that the slide could not and would not be replaceable, seems the old and new are different.
    Cost for a difficult to source early type slide was near $300 if one could even be found.
    So with much wailing, rending of garments, and gnashing of teeth, the little Seecamp was retired from the armory. Banished to the Closest of Broken Guns, never to return.
    Wanting a replacement I soon discovered the P-32.
    It checked all the boxes at a much lower cost than a new Seecamp. After several months of searching I stumbled upon one a few days ago.
    It has since fired over 230rounds and it has functioned perfectly. Definitely more accurate than the old Seecamp. Recoil is much more manageable as well.
    The P-32 is receiving much welcome in the House of Moonpie.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I've had two P-32s. First was fantastic. Second was garbage, still jams like crazy even after a trip back to Keltec.

But, .32acp is a good pocket gun round.

Desire to know more intensifying.
    How did it “jam”? Fail to Load? Fail to Fire? Fail to eject?

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I've had two P-32s. First was fantastic. Second was garbage, still jams like crazy even after a trip back to Keltec.

But, .32acp is a good pocket gun round.

TX OMFS,

I won't argue about the .32ACP, as that's my "little" brother's favorite "hideaway" handgun, a Beretta.

Fwiw, my personal favorite "pocket friend" is a 9x18 MAK, firing the HI-Speed 92 grain JHP.
    (When I was in "a place FAR, FAR away" in the blazingly HOT Summers, a Russian MAK was my constant companion. = The night that a local thug pulled a blade on me near the grocery store, one look at the MAK convinced him to seek his loot elsewhere.)

yours, satx

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    Desire to know more intensifying.
    How did it “jam”? Fail to Load? Fail to Fire? Fail to eject?
    Eject. I think it's an extractor issue. I've tried replacing it & the spring but no luck. Brass ammo, factory loads, different brands.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    laVieux,

AGREED 100% on the .45 Gap. = My brother has forgotten more about firearms/cartridges than most people will ever learn.- He is an internationally rated shooter in pistol & High-power rifle.
    Ed simply said that the Gap is a DUD & "the answer to a question that nobody should have asked".
    (I've never shot one, btw.)

I most certainly DISAGREE with the comment on the .40 S&W as it is a GREAT cartridge but MANY factory loads for it were/are simply INADEQUATE for shooting incidents with barricaded subjects BUT some are EXCELLENT.
    (The 180 grain BUFFALO BORE load for just one such factory load.)
    Inasmuch as a considerable number of handguns were bought by departments that previously issued .38spl revolvers & the "powers that be" didn't really want a MORE POWERFUL handgun for general issue so the "management" requested loads that were FAR from powerful. = As the ammo makers are in business to make money, several responded with a "light recoiling"/.38 SPL power level.

yours, satx

I've never fired a S&W.40, what Uncle Ted calls them "S&W Short & Weak" or the "10mm Too Short"; I am just going by a mix of the article and what my kid told me. I certainly am no expert; just an Old Man with a keyboard.

leVieux

Top Bottom