Gun Zone Deals

6 dead, dying or obsolete handgun cartridges. An article by Field n Stream.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    WELP time to make up a prototype and get to the patent office i guess.

dont worry, it will be EXPENSIVE
    \
    --
    for clarity, it will never happen, atleast by me, if i had that talent i would already have the .32 racoon gun
    It's funny that you mentioned a "racoon gun". I keep a .32acp adapter with my 30-30 for just that reason.

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    I would bet that the 41 mag and 32 H&R Mag would maintain their cult following. The 45 Gap is already about gone. The rest on the list I think are here to stay.

Alfarrell45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2021
    Texas
    Not exactly an authority on guns, Field n Stream has this article.

Their list includes;
    32 ACP
    25 Auto
    41 Mag
    32 H&R Mag
    40 S&W
    45 Gap.

I would add 357 Sig at least. I like 41 mag but agree it's an unneeded compromise today.

What say you. I cant really disagree with their list except to say technology has ways of resurrecting the dead and tossing dirt in the face of the newest thing.

Love the 40 cal and have several of them. My favorites are CZ 75 and I have Two. Two I would add to your list is the Sig 357 and the 10 mm.
    I

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    20ga is easier to find than minishells....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    For now. 12 is always easier to find than 20, and shooting full power slugs/buckshot out of a shockwave is not nasty at all.
    I have had pretty good luck getting the minis direct from Federal.

cporfe

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Jun 20, 2018
    Elgin
    I own guns in each of these calibers including the .357 Sig with the exception of the 45 GAP. I did own one Glock in that caliber but didn't like the "glock knuckle" that came with the recoil.

I expect these rounds will be around after I'm gone and another "expert" will claim they are dying. Just like the .32 S&W Long which has been "dead" for some time except I have 3 S&Ws and 1 Colt in this caliber and find shooting them (at 68) a very pleasant experience.

Just my thoughts.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I own guns in each of these calibers including the .357 Sig with the exception of the 45 GAP. I did own one Glock in that caliber but didn't like the "glock knuckle" that came with the recoil.

I expect these rounds will be around after I'm gone and another "expert" will claim they are dying. Just like the .32 S&W Long which has been "dead" for some time except I have 3 S&Ws and 1 Colt in this caliber and find shooting them (at 68) a very pleasant experience.

Just my thoughts.

cporfe,

Fwiw, I suspect that articles like the article in F&S on "6 obsolete calibers" gives someone "something to do", "fills blank space on pages" & little more than that.

FYI, I've NOT even SEEN any handgun/ammo in .45 GAP in a long time, so it may be DEAD already.

yours, satx

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    A lot of magazines have gone to digital online subscriptions years ago. Cuts down on costs of actually writing, printing and mailing out a paper copy of the magazine. I think probably many magazines have maybe even gone completely an online digital media and stopped printing paper copies as well.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    The whole idea behind 10mm and .40 was flawed from the get-go, a knee-jerk reaction to a question that was not understood. Untill you are able to get hydrostatic shock, handguns just poke holes.

The FBI, who are responsible for the .40, had their thinking colored by the 1986 Miami shootout, failed to understand that when rifles are involved, no matter what pistol you have, you are at a major disadvantage.

A pistol can not be counted on to reliably incapacitate an attacker because lets say a rifle round hits someone, the shock of that round will destroy organs it will not physically touch. A handgun round has to hit an organ to damage it.

With larger rounds, you do get a slightly bigger bullet, and that also gives you a bit more wiggle room with lower quality hollow points.

But the downsides, cost, recoil, capacity.

Is it worth losing 1-3 rounds (depending on the gun), dealing with increased recoil, more expensive ammo, and fewer choices in firearms

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    The whole idea behind 10mm and .40 was flawed from the get-go, a knee-jerk reaction to a question that was not understood. Untill you are able to get hydrostatic shock, handguns just poke holes.

The FBI, who are responsible for the .40, had their thinking colored by the 1986 Miami shootout, failed to understand that when rifles are involved, no matter what pistol you have, you are at a major disadvantage.

A pistol can not be counted on to reliably incapacitate an attacker because lets say a rifle round hits someone, the shock of that round will destroy organs it will not physically touch. A handgun round has to hit an organ to damage it.

With larger rounds, you do get a slightly bigger bullet, and that also gives you a bit more wiggle room with lower quality hollow points.

But the downsides, cost, recoil, capacity.

Is it worth losing 1-3 rounds (depending on the gun), dealing with increased recoil, more expensive ammo, and fewer choices in firearms

zackmars,

Inasmuch as you said that pistol bullets just "poke holes", are you saying that getting hit in the lungs with a .25ACP is really little/no different than being hit in the same lungs with a .45ACP??

FYI, I was shot with a "Baby Browning" in .25ACP in 1991 in South America & I didn't`
    even know that I had been shot until a CPL in our Civil Guard company said, "Is that blood on your shirt, Commandante??"
    (FYI, the creep that shot me quickly DoW, as he was hit in the K5 area with a 9x19mm 140 grain FMJ & passed away from shock/blood loss. = NO, I did NOT shoot him; instead a Civil Guard SGT did the deed, when the creep tried to shoot someone else.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    zackmars,

Inasmuch as you said that pistol bullets just "poke holes", are you saying that getting hit in the lungs with a .25ACP is really little/no different than being hit in the same lungs with a .45ACP??

FYI, I was shot with a "Baby Browning" in .25ACP in 1991 in South America & I didn't`
    even know that I had been shot until a CPL in our Civil Guard company said, "Is that blood on your shirt, Commandante??"
    (FYI, the creep that shot me quickly DoW, as he was hit in the K5 area with a 9x19mm 140 grain FMJ & passed away from shock/blood loss .)

yours, satx

No, that is not what i am trying to say, though my post wasn't very well worded. You are looking at two extreme ends of the spectrum.

However, when it comes to "duty calibers", 9mm, .40, *10mm, .357 sig, .38spl, .45acp, and *357mag, the difference is near microscopic in terms of actual terminal performance.

*obviously 10mm and .357mag full house loads are different animals, as is .45 super

Mouse gun calibers are a different animal entirely, as you can not count on .22, .25acp, .32acp, or .380 hollow points to reliably expand and penetrate to acceptable depths

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    No, that is not what i am trying to say, though my post wasn't very well worded. You are looking at two extreme ends of the spectrum.

However, when it comes to "duty calibers", 9mm, .40, *10mm, .357 sig, .38spl, .45acp, and *357mag, the difference is near microscopic in terms of actual terminal performance.

*obviously 10mm and .357mag full house loads are different animals, as is .45 super

Mouse gun calibers are a different animal entirely, as you can not count on .22, .25acp, .32acp, or .380 hollow points to reliably expand and penetrate to acceptable depths

zackmars,

From personal experience, I can assure you that I would NOT volunteer to be shot with a .25ACP again, as later that evening I was in "considerable pain" from being hit in the right armpit with the "mouse gun".

By the same token after over 30 years as a LEO & SEEING the immediate results of several shootings, any hit to the K5 area is HIGHLY LIKELY to STOP THE FIGHT QUICKLY, though there is NO question that a solid hit to the K5 with a .357 MAG, .40 S&W, .44 SPL, .45 ACP or a more powerful round is FAR MORE LIKELY to end the fight IMMEDIATELY than a similar hit with a 9x19mm, .38 SPL or another "lesser" caliber firearm will.
    (FYI, that's why I have carried a Colt's GM in .45 ACP or .38 SUPER for over 3 decades, every day, rather than the Model 10 S&W in .38SPL that I owned/carried as a rookie lawman..)

yours, satx
    USAMPR, Retired

Last edited:

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    By the same token after over 30 years as a LEO & SEEING the immediate results of several shootings, any hit to the K5 area is HIGHLY LIKELY to STOP THE FIGHT QUICKLY, though there is NO question that a solid hit to the K5 with a .357 MAG, .40 S&W, .44 SPL, .45 ACP or a more powerful round is FAR MORE LIKELY to end the fight IMMEDIATELY than a similar hit with a 9x19mm, .38 SPL or another "lesser" caliber firearm will.

No argument here, though i think including .40 is a bit of a stretch.

.40 factory loadings just don't pack enough to bring it up to light magnum territory

The question i would ask, is one good hit from a .45 worth 2 good hits with a 9? That is an exaggeration, but there are a stupid amount of factors to take in when you are picking between any number of "acceptable" calibers. Ballistics is just one.

For me, my choice in caliber is driven more by the gun, and i suspect most others feel the same, and that's the big strength of 9mm, everyone makes guns in that caliber

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014

.40 factory loadings just don't pack enough to bring it up to light magnum territory

The question i would ask, is one good hit from a .45 worth 2 good hits with a 9? That is an exaggeration, but there are a stupid amount of factors to take in when you are picking between any number of "acceptable" calibers. Ballistics is just one.

For me, my choice in caliber is driven more by the gun, and i suspect most others feel the same, and that's the big strength of 9mm, everyone makes guns in that caliber

zackmars,

As the nation where we will spend at least 5-6 months a year in PROHIBITS several calibers, including my FAVORED .45ACP, I'm going to EDC the .40S&W as loaded by BUFFALO BORE, as the .40 is LAWFUL for civilians/LEOs to carry.

yours, satx

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

I put my top criteria choice in reliable ammo, first and foremost. Accuracy, expansion, and penetration take a back seat for me in comparison to ammo being reliable.

The other aspects are important factors, or features, as long s the ammo is reliable. But, I'd rather depend on reliable FMJ ammo, rather the the best super-duper JHP ammo that wasn't reliable. Ammo that fires each and every time, and hits the intended target, are much more important factors to me.

Top Bottom