• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Although I firmly believe in constitutional carry, I understand the challenges faced in obtaining such. That said, lets consider the scope of ANY firearm law in Texas. One size fits all may be fine for Rhode Island, but will ultimately fail to cover all the bases in most other states. Metro areas have issues to address that vast rural expanses don't. My hometown has a population of 1200 +-. If I go due North to the Oklahoma border, I'm going to see Childress as the largest "city". Most threats outside of interstate corridors have 4 legs and teeth. I don't think they are gonna " go for my gun". If I visit one of your fair cities, bet your ass, my guns are secure and hidden.
    Just a Western perspective.
    Texas SOT

Last edited:

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    I'd really like two separate 30.06 signs. I think it relieves some of the concerns about more signs going up that also bar concealed carry, while giving property owners more say in exactly what they want / don't want happening on their property.

I think separate signage is a win-win.

It's one of the reasons I'd like to see OC in a completely separate section than CC. Two sections. Two fights. More likely a store won't post BOTH signs (though some will). But if the end goal is to get to Constitutional Carry, I think two sections are a good step. If OC is challenged in court (and the bed wetters will try) and is survives, it's not too far to jump from there to Constitutional Carry.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    It's one of the reasons I'd like to see OC in a completely separate section than CC. Two sections. Two fights. More likely a store won't post BOTH signs (though some will). .

I think that is a leap. I have not polled many business owners. On what do you base your "more likely"?

JaredW

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    Spring, TX
    IANAL, but does this bill reduce the requirements for a 30.06 sign?
    It seems it edited 30.06 as follows:

(A) a card or other document on which is written language identical to the following: “Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by holder of license to carry a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (concealed handgun law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun”; or

to

(1)AAa card or other document on which is written language
    indicating that pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by holder of license to carry a concealed or unconcealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, may not enter the property with a concealed handgun or with any handgun, whether concealed or not, as applicable;or

Which could mean a "Gun Buster" sign (regardless of size) with "TPC 30.06" written underneath in 1" lettering would now be legally enforceable for both CC and OC? Since the "identical language" is no longer required?
    Can anyone with a better grasp of legal speak confirm or deny this?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

(A) a card or other document on which is written language identical to the following: “Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by holder of license to carry a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (concealed handgun law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun”; or

to

indicating that pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by holder of license to carry a concealed or unconcealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, may not enter the property with a concealed handgun or with any handgun, whether concealed or not, as applicable;or

Which could mean a "Gun Buster" sign (regardless of size) with "TPC 30.06" written underneath in 1" lettering would now be legally enforceable for both CC and OC? Since the "identical language" is no longer required?

I have read it more times than I care to admit, and I have reached the same conclusions.

Just noticed your screen name. Are you a current PPO?

soada101

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Euless, TX
    Get it passed. Regardless of small concerns. The bill is bigger than the holster and sign. Then constitutional carry!
    @vaquero Childress is really small. I drive through to go to Amarillo on a run. The pawnshop that sells guns(next to gas station on 287) there has a dick of a owner from an outsider point of view.
    But with people reactions who don't know about oc in Dallas would be interesting if it passes.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk.

Last edited:

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX

to

This is a concern of mine too. Hopefully that can be changed to match the original.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I pinged my rep and Lavender about the dual signage.

Going from proscribed language to door busters would be a big step back. We all should bring up this concern as well with our reps.

JaredW

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    Spring, TX
    "I want to thank everyone who has expressed support for Open Carry in our state. The response has been phenomenal ! I also want to say that some folks believe that our bill changes the 30.06 signage requirement. That is not our intent. We worked with the NRA, who has been very supportive, to come up with a bill that would not make a business bar concealed carry because they may have concerns about Open Carry. The new signage applies only to Open Carry. We will have several more attorneys and interested parties review the language next week to make sure that's what we have done. If we missed the mark, it will be fixed. The last thing we want is to diminish our right to concealed carry in an attempt to expand our legal carry rights. Thank you all."

The above quote is from Rep. Lavender's facebook page on Saturday (1/26/13)
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/George-Lavender-for-State-Representative/118702241499237?fref=ts

Hopefully this gets straightened out this week.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Although I firmly believe in constitutional carry, I understand the challenges faced in obtaining such. That said, lets consider the scope of ANY firearm law in Texas. One size fits all may be fine for Rhode Island, but will ultimately fail to cover all the bases in most other states. Metro areas have issues to address that vast rural expanses don't. My hometown has a population of 1200 +-. If I go due North to the Oklahoma border, I'm going to see Childress as the largest "city". Most threats outside of interstate corridors have 4 legs and teeth. I don't think they are gonna " go for my gun". If I visit one of your fair cities, bet your ass, my guns are secure and hidden.
    Just a Western perspective.

Bingo! We've got at winner! (at least in reference to us out here in the sticks).

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    "I want to thank everyone who has expressed support for Open Carry in our state. The response has been phenomenal ! I also want to say that some folks believe that our bill changes the 30.06 signage requirement. That is not our intent. We worked with the NRA, who has been very supportive, to come up with a bill that would not make a business bar concealed carry because they may have concerns about Open Carry. The new signage applies only to Open Carry. We will have several more attorneys and interested parties review the language next week to make sure that's what we have done. If we missed the mark, it will be fixed. The last thing we want is to diminish our right to concealed carry in an attempt to expand our legal carry rights. Thank you all."

The above quote is from Rep. Lavender's facebook page on Saturday (1/26/13)
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/George-Lavender-for-State-Representative/118702241499237?fref=ts

Hopefully this gets straightened out this week.

Nice, thanks

ShootWhenICan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Houston
    As long as it's legal open carry where it isn't illegal to conceal I'm all for it, so I can choose to do either.
    Would hate to go to a meeting or a fancy dinner party packing a full size 1911.
    Thus concealing needs to stay an option.
    I say this because I think I read something about some state(s) making it illegal to conceal a weapon once they had ok'd open carry.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Any info on to when they will try to have this passed? like a "date" saying they will vote or if it will even proceed?
    Some bills are effective as soon as they are signed by The Governor and others have an effective date set as part of the bill. Who knows, this bill has an uphill climb.

As far as dates things are happening, keep checking the link in the first post for updates. If there is a public hearing they give 5 day notification at least.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    As long as it's legal open carry where it isn't illegal to conceal I'm all for it, so I can choose to do either.
    Would hate to go to a meeting or a fancy dinner party packing a full size 1911.
    Thus concealing needs to stay an option.
    I say this because I think I read something about some state(s) making it illegal to conceal a weapon once they had ok'd open carry.
    I can't think of a state that revoked concealed carry once open carry was made legal.

outdare

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Cumby
    I emailed my Representative (Gary Elkins). He is not showing sponsorship of any bills at this time. We as gun owners need to take the time and write to our representatives to make sure this is a priority.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    We have a winner here, if I'm reading this correctly. I'll call it stealth open carry.

SB 299 Relating to the unintentional display of a weapon by a person licensed to carry a concealed handgun. Red below is stricken.

SECTION 1. Section 46.035, Penal Code, is amended to read as
    follows:
    Sec. 46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE
    HOLDER. (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license
    holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder's person
    under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code,
    and intentionally [fails to conceal the handgun] displays the
    handgun in plain view of another person in a public place in a
    manner calculated to cause alarm and not pursuant to a justified use
    of force or threat of force as described in Chapter 9.
    (b) A license holder commits an offense if the license
    holder intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun
    under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code,
    regardless of whether the handgun is concealed, on or about the
    license holder's person:

Top Bottom