• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Cop cars that have "certified" on the speedo are often inaccurate....sometimes from the day they are delivered. The "certified" designation is a joke.

Well yeah. Ive seen one that was off by 15mph. The tranny had been worked on. But what police department is going to pony up and say. "Our Bad"

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Cop cars that have "certified" on the speedo are often inaccurate....sometimes from the day they are delivered. The "certified" designation is a joke.

It use to be when people would argue a speeding ticket in court, the officer would be called to testify that he had calibrated his radar at the start of his shift and he would explain what he had performed o calibrate the unit. I always got a laugh at it because they would always come up and explain it to the court and the person would always go home with his speeding ticket plus court cost!!!

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    While we are on the speedometer issue.
    How accurate is a gps in regards to land speed?
    I know how it correlates to my speedometer but wonder which is more accurate.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    While we are on the speedometer issue.
    How accurate is a gps in regards to land speed?
    I know how it correlates to my speedometer but wonder which is more accurate.
    Should be pretty accurate if you keep a steady speed while you're checking it. I use one to calibrate the speedo on my motorcycle; there's a gadget you can buy that lets you program in a correction factor for the speedo, and what you have to do is measure your speed via GPS, make note of what the speedo says, then plug the numbers into a calculator app they have on their website to set the correction. Motorcycle speedos are notoriously inaccurate (mostly to the high side, making you think you're going faster than you really are), so I highly recommend one. HealTech Electronics Ltd. - Makers of the SpeedoHealer, GIpro, X-TRE, FI Tuner Pro, Brake Light Pro, MM5, OBD Tool

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Dewd, "H" is rated at 130mph. there's very little tires out that won't handle 90+. The temp spare is rated at 81.

L75 mph120 km/hOff-Road & Light Truck Tires
    M81 mph130 km/hTemporary Spare Tires
    N87 mph140km/h
    P93 mph150 km/h
    Q99 mph160 km/hStudless & Studdable Winter Tires
    R106 mph170 km/hH.D. Light Truck Tires
    S112 mph180 km/hFamily Sedans & Vans
    T118 mph190 km/hFamily Sedans & Vans
    U124 mph200 km/h
    H130 mph210 km/hSport Sedans & Coupes
    V149 mph240 km/hSport Sedans, Coupes & Sports Cars

Tire Tech Information - How to Read Speed Rating, Load Index & Service Descriptions

Other than temp spares or some oddball specialty tires, I can't think of a single tire in my 14 years as a mechanic that didn't carry at least an S rating.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Other than temp spares or some oddball specialty tires, I can't think of a single tire in my 14 years as a mechanic that didn't carry at least an S rating.

Im guessing that the "L" tires are those farm lug tires that sing going down the road. The tractor looking jobs. You couldn't hold the truck on the road at 85 if you wanted to. 55 will drive you crazy. And most guys fill them solid anyway.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Yeah we all about getting to go fast and think the state loves us. Wake up people it's all about money and a Spanish company is getting a boat load of it. Bribe to the state to let us travel faster, so they can collect higher tolls, and the reduced speed limit on the alternate route to help promote it.

"This is no small financial matter to the state," wrote The Austin Statesman's Ben Wear back in April, when the bill setting the limit was passed. "Its contract with a consortium led by Cintra, a Spanish toll road company... specifies that TxDOT would get an extra $67 million if the speed limit is 80 mph. Set the limit at 85 mph, and that premium rises to $100 million."

In a move that presents drivers with a stark choice, the Express reports, the speed limit on a highway that runs parallel to Texas 130 has been lowered, from 65 to 55 mph.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    It is not the "speed" that kills, but the idiots who drive in the left lane below the speed limit, and the "racers" who pass on the right side.

In Germany, the Autobahn has fixed rules:

1. The faster car has right-of-way: Always!

2. Unless passing, stay in the right lane.

3. Before passing, use turn signal, check mirror, and clear your rear.

4. Anytime a vehicle approaches from behind and flashes his lights, move over to the right lane immediately, he has the right of way.

5. It is unlawful to pass a vehicle from the right lane.

6. If stopped on the Autobahn, go to the next call box and call for help (call boxes are spaced one kilometer (.6 miles) apart. If you can't walk half a mile, you should not drive.

Enjoy controlled chaos on the Autobahn.

Wish we did that here.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas

You should have been over there right after re-unification, that was uncontrolled chaos, LOL. All those East German POS's hitting the roads, damn it was adventure. (Good news a lot of those Trabants brought hot women experiencing freedom for the first time)

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    A couple of years ago I was going out I 45 from Houston to Galveston and running a solid 85 mph. I didn't pass a soul on the road and the cops were setting on the side just watching what was going on. You don't need a new toll road for that. At 85 I could finally get my Hemi out of the eco zone.

CZ guy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Left of Galveston Bay
    Yeah, take your vehicle to some "in & out in 15 minutes" oil change place and depend on some minimum wage kid to keep a watch for defects that will cause you to explode at 85mph. RIGHT!

The issue I have with 85mph freeways is when bubba sees 85 posted he thinks he HAS to do 85. Rain, heavy traffic, low light conditions, headache, medical issues? Screw it......I GET TO DRIVE 85, by God. And paw-paw forgot how fast things can happen when you are running that speed.

Just saying to BE CAREFUL folks! Oh, I heard a DPS Captain say once that the "unofficial policy" for speeders was give 5, take 6. Not sure they are gonna let you drive 90 now though.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    My opinion is that 85 will mean 85. Not much wiggle room when the speed limit is that high.

I flew past cops at 90mph in west Texas (posted 80mph) and they never came after me. I'm sure 90 will still be allowed.

100? maybe not.

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    It is not the "speed" that kills, but the idiots who drive in the left lane below the speed limit, and the "racers" who pass on the right side.

In Germany, the Autobahn has fixed rules:

1. The faster car has right-of-way: Always!

2. Unless passing, stay in the right lane.

3. Before passing, use turn signal, check mirror, and clear your rear.

4. Anytime a vehicle approaches from behind and flashes his lights, move over to the right lane immediately, he has the right of way.

5. It is unlawful to pass a vehicle from the right lane.

6. If stopped on the Autobahn, go to the next call box and call for help (call boxes are spaced one kilometer (.6 miles) apart. If you can't walk half a mile, you should not drive.

Wish we did that here.

Hell yes, I was going to post we need to have the right lane rules like the autobahn. Wanna go 60-65, (which I do in my truck 95% of the time) stay right and keep the f*ck out of the way.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Well, be on the lookout for those 18 wheelers that run over the speed limit going downhill and hold up traffic going uphill ! The 30 mph Elmer Fudds in their autos wont be the only hazards !

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jakeps
    Top Bottom