• ...and so much more!
  • matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Dodge Grand Caravan, Cracked radiator.

Called up the local parts shop $190 for the radiator, $25 ish for the hoses and $15 for the thermostat. Where do they get the $670.00 for labor that should only take an hour?

Looks like I'm doing this one myself. If they charged $75 or so for the hour labor without me paying MSRP on the parts I'd have gone with them.
    Capitol Armory ad

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Probably says 10 hours labor or something when it probably only takes two. But, if that's what the book says it takes, that's what they charge regardless of time actually spent.

If you want a hand, let me know. I'm probably near by and don't get to spin wrenches much anymore.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Probably says 10 hours labor or something when it probably only takes two. But, if that's what the book says it takes, that's what they charge regardless of time actually spent.

If you want a hand, let me know. I'm probably near by and don't get to spin wrenches much anymore.

Thanks for the offer, have a teenaged son to help me, and I've done a few radiators (3). Thought I could be lazy on this one. Guess not.

swcc22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    fannin county
    It pays 1.8 hrs with a/c ad .5 so its 3.3 now I worked at a diesel shop bit in dfw most shops charge 100 hr so labor is 330 the list price on the radiator is 252.00 part# 4677692aa the thermostat pays.7 so thats 70 bucks and the list price on the thermostat is 14.60 part # 4573560ac now the upper hose pays 1.1 so thats 110 the lower hose pays .8 so thats 80
    List upper is 9.85 list lower is 7.80 part number upper is 4881100af part lower is 4881101ad so the total with out tax and shop supplies (ie coolant hose clamps ) is 874.25 so its not a bad price:cool:

The only easy day was yesterday.

swcc22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    fannin county
    Yea from what I hear ( remember I work on things or I used to till I got hurt that will eat your mini van for breakfast) all mini van suck to work on amd are expensive to fix labor hour wise just some worse than others.

The only easy day was yesterday.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    I didn't look at your ticket, but a lot of the $$ is probably in the cost of parts.

When I was selling car parts, I had several mechanics that would get a quote from me, then double the price to the customer. So your 200 dollar radiator might be 400 bucks to you via the mechanic. Your 8 dollar gallon of glycol may be 16 bucks. Then if they're using the gates hoses (and some of those minivan hoses were 50-100 bucks) you may be talking 200 bucks in hoses.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Houston, TX
    I've always been more of a gun guy than a car guy and have never done much work on my own cars, but when the radiator on my vehicle sprang a leak a few years ago, I was faced with a similar dilemma. I found a radiator online for $110 and a thermostat locally for like $12, but the cheapest quote I could find from a shop including labor was about $500. Anyway, to make a long story short, we had a backup vehicle, so I just ordered the radiator online and found step by step instructions on the internet and did it myself. It took me about 4 hours since I didn't know what I was doing and didn't want to mess anything up. It was kind of a pain in the ass with the Summer sun beating down on me while I worked, but better than spending the extra $378.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    I didn't look at your ticket, but a lot of the $$ is probably in the cost of parts.

When I was selling car parts, I had several mechanics that would get a quote from me, then double the price to the customer. So your 200 dollar radiator might be 400 bucks to you via the mechanic. Your 8 dollar gallon of glycol may be 16 bucks. Then if they're using the gates hoses (and some of those minivan hoses were 50-100 bucks) you may be talking 200 bucks in hoses.

+1 ... when I worked for O'Reilly's, the shop would ask for their price (which was usually x% off walk in) and list price. They'd charge the customer list price for it so they're making money not only on labor, but also parts.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Thats the way all shops work got to keep lights on
    One shop I used to take my stuff to sure had expensive lights. Thieving sumbitch wanted to charge me $250 each for front rotors on our Honda Odyssey. I called one of the local dealers and was told $149 ea. plus tax. I don't expect to get a great deal on parts from a mechanic, but a 67% markup over dealer retail?!

Top Bottom