• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • reddog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    Terlingua
    I read/saw somewhere that the 147gr loading was preferred in compact pistols due to reduced felt recoil. So I'm looking for input, has anyone experienced this and is it true or not and what would be an effective commercial loading for carry.

I may be wrong but I'm thinking the 147gr will be a lot slower and less effective with a HP configuration, am I mistaken?

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I read/saw somewhere that the 147gr loading was preferred in compact pistols due to reduced felt recoil. So I'm looking for input, has anyone experienced this and is it true or not and what would be an effective commercial loading for carry.

I may be wrong but I'm thinking the 147gr will be a lot slower and less effective with a HP configuration, am I mistaken?

Here's a thread to peruse while waiting for replies...

reddog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    Terlingua
    Here's a thread to peruse while waiting for replies...

Thanks!

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    It is true, but there's not really a huge difference.

Lots of really good JHP loads out there with good street reps. Gold dot, HST, winchester ranger, critical duty. Take your pick

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    IME typical 115gr is a little snappy, 124 a bit less unless loaded to NATO specs, 147 better. Personally I reload a heap of 135gr for a variety of nines. I keep them subsonic but still full powered for reliability. All modern hps do well even in fairly short barreled pistols but try a few before committing with 147s. The larger bullet tends to have a more square profile that doesn't play well with some guns. A buddy needed a box of hps so I gave him a box of 124gr gold dots and his Kimber choked on it badly.

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX

The thinking behind the 147gr load is that its lower speed allow more time to expand and stop in the body instead of exiting like the fast 115gr load.
    The stopping power is comparable with the 115gr load because the kinetic energy of an object depends on both, its speed and weight. So while the standard RN load travels faster, it is lighter. And the usual JHP loads travel slower (sub-sonic) but are heavier. Based on common load data of the RN and JHP, their muzzle energy is pretty equal, plus/minus a few percent.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    A well designed HP will open up at the intended velocity.

Personally I like 147 grain 9mm's - I carry 147s in my working gun because they were consistently the most accurate. The benefit of being less snappy and more pushy is nice too.

I do tend to carry 115 grain Silvertips in my concealed carry 19 though 1.) because of availability when I bought the ammo and 2.) they are accurate and reliable in that gun.

I also like 124's in most 9mms as a good all around weight.

WT_Foxtrot

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    I don't hate 147 gr., but prefer 124. Main reason is I like to practice with the same grain as what I have in my carry and home defense rounds. And 124 is a helluva lot more available and cheaper in FMJ range than 147.

But in the end, either will do the job.

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    147grn bonded hollow points run really well in my 365 sub sonic
    velocity doesn't bother me (my other carry gun is a .45acp)

Top Bottom