• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tascofeldman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    texarkana,texas
    I see various 9mm carbines out there, Kel-Tec, Beretta, Hi-Point, etc. Is 9mm an acceptable hunting round? What would it be useful as? Just curious, maybe a varmint rifle? I like the concept, 9mm is certainly less expensive than most and fairly available and would probably be fun to shoot. Any opinions? Thanks!

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I love 9mm carbines. Have an UZI that's about 20 days from being a suppressed SBR and a CX4 which will probably become an SBR also. Might build an AR someday. They are just a blast to shoot.

For hunting, I wouldn't recommend it for much. I took the UZI on a jog hunt last weekend. At 80-90 yards I shit fire rounds, saw dust fly on just one. Not one pig was stopped.

Course, UZI sights are incredibly crude and I could have missed all 5 shots I guess, but it would take a head shot to stop one. I will probably try again one I get a better sight system for the UZI or might take the CX4 if I get the opportunity.

Definitely a viable self defense option for the home.

But mostly just loads of fun.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I really like pistol caliber carbines, but they aren't really ideal for hunting. It can be done, but shot placement and bullet selection would be very critical. A 9mm from the 16" barrel is only going to pick up a few hundred FPS; it's not gonna turn it into a rifle round. I think their best uses are plinking and self defense. A .357 or .44 magnum carbine is a little different story.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I didn't even gain a few hundred FPS from pistol to carbine. It was closer to 150fps IIRC.

Not enough case capacity to get an advantage from slow burning powders.

I haven't tested a lot with different bullet weight/powder combinations. But haven't found anything with enough promise to warrant the investment.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Yeh, for 9mm there's not much you can do. Maybe a shotgun powder? Larger case capacities really help with pistol carbines. A 10mm or 9mm largo would be fun. Maybe a .460 Rowland.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I thought about playing with some 90gr bullets, but the velocity wouldn't really give any gains with such a light bullet.

Still, I shoot the 9mm carbines more than anything else and rarely even touch the AR anymore.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I really like the fact that the magazine is in the grip, too. Shortens the gun up by at least 4". That's like having a 12" AR. Well, except with a wimpy pistol caliber ;)

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I got one for LG, welcome to shoot it if you make it to Hicksville.

Find the model that takes 92FS mags if you want 30 rounds though, or you can buy the insert for them.

Only difference between the PX4 and 92 mag models is the plastic insert in the grip.

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    I got one for LG, welcome to shoot it if you make it to Hicksville.

Find the model that takes 92FS mags if you want 30 rounds though, or you can buy the insert for them.

Only difference between the PX4 and 92 mag models is the plastic insert in the grip.
    good to know, I'll damn sure take you up on that if I make Hicksville

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    A Sub2k that takes P226 mags and a Sterling. The Sterling isn't a great example of utilizing the advantages of a pistol carbine, but it is a whole lot of fun. Had a HiPoint briefly. It sucked ;)

I considered a sterling just because it looked kinda cool. Never found one local for a reasonable price.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    The Sub2k is not one of their better guns. The fit and finish on the PMR-30 is way better than the Sub2k. It's very unique in how it folds up more compact than anything else, but that precludes you from being able to mount an optic to it. The trigger also sucks, but that could probably be fixed. Those are really my only complaints about it. Overall it's a good gun.

They need to come out with a PMR30 version of it. Thirty or even fifty rounds of .22 magnum in that small little package would be sweet!

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    The Sub2k is not one of their better guns. The fit and finish on the PMR-30 is way better than the Sub2k. It's very unique in how it folds up more compact than anything else, but that precludes you from being able to mount an optic to it. The trigger also sucks, but that could probably be fixed. Those are really my only complaints about it. Overall it's a good gun.

Have you seen the improvements they've made on the 2015 models?

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I have a Sterling carbine and a Beretta CX4 carbine in 9x19mm.
    Both have been excellent firearms both in accuracy and reliability.
    As a short range HD/SD weapon they're good to go with proper ammo.
    As a hunting caliber I'd say NO. The cartridge is just too underpowered for anything more than small game at more than rock throwing distances.
    Critters as tough as hogs would most definitely a no go.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Have you seen the improvements they've made on the 2015 models?
    Googling... Yeah that looks nicer. If they were going to redesign it, I kinda wish they would have made it fold to the side instead over the top so that you could mount an optic without it interfering with the folding.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    As a hunting caliber I'd say NO. The cartridge is just too underpowered for anything more than small game at more than rock throwing distances.
    Critters as tough as hogs would most definitely a no go.
    Not necessarily. You just have to think about them like hunting with a pistol only it has a stock. At 50 yards I suspect a warm 124gr would have no trouble dropping a pig with a head or neck shot. Not optimal for sure, but still possible.

Last edited:

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    As said above
    A Marin camp 45 would be the only pistol carbine worth even trying to hunt with

Then you are really distance limited

As for plinking and SD I love my Beretta CX4 in 9mm

Top Bottom