• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    Younggun is right, no one is concerned. You'll immediately see that if you go. I like both USPSA and IDPA but they are different and IDPA has the advantage in that its culture is more in line with casual shooters looking to improve and get some trigger time in situations they would not normally be able to at your stereotypical gun range. Its not a substitute for defensive training, but will help in many of the basic skillsets required, as well as stress your gear to see if it really fits...YOU (thats why I keep harping on forgetting the 34 and run your pistol).

Plus its FUN!

Masterchief%2Bdachshund.jpg
    Capitol Armory ad

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    TBH, I can't remember which is which. This was the one where they set up plates of various size and distance then you shoot for fastest time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'll put it this way. If all I had was a Hi-Point, I would still rock that and wouldn't even let one of those get in the way of me just getting started. In fact, if I can ever manage to get any free time, I've thought about doing just that for a little while, just for the laughs. ;)

As far as holsters, Comp Tac is here in Texas, they're quick to ship, and they make a decent OWB holster that's extremely popular in IDPA http://www.comp-tac.com/competition-holsters/paddle-holster-10212

And here's some mag pouches: http://www.comp-tac.com/magazine-pouches/twin-belt-clip-magazine-pouch-10623

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    I really really appreciate the holster and mag holder recs. Thank you.

cant : FBI or Speed?

Last edited:

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Speed = straight drop
    FBI cant = 10-20deg forward cant

It's all personal preference. For me, I find that wearing it at 3:00 with a straight drop is ideal for typical IDPA type competition shooting, considering what's allowed within the rules. Generally, if the holster position is farther back, like 4-5:30, you'll want cant, and more cant the farther back you go. For me, I find that the cant makes me bend my wrist in an uncomfortable manner, plus it's a weak position for wrist to be in generally. Straight drop is just easy. :-)

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    I'll put it this way. If all I had was a Hi-Point, I would still rock that and wouldn't even let one of those get in the way of me just getting started. In fact, if I can ever manage to get any free time, I've thought about doing just that for a little while, just for the laughs. ;)

As far as holsters, Comp Tac is here in Texas, they're quick to ship, and they make a decent OWB holster that's extremely popular in IDPA http://www.comp-tac.com/competition-holsters/paddle-holster-10212

And here's some mag pouches: http://www.comp-tac.com/magazine-pouches/twin-belt-clip-magazine-pouch-10623

I use these to compete. I use the same for carry as well (except just the single mag pouch). I like their fit and just stiffen the holster and mag patch on the carry versions.

I prefer FBI carry just a bit more because it conceals better on my frame, but don't really notice a significant difference. Try it by just holding your pistol straight or at an angle where you would have the holster and see which you prefer then order appropriately.

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    Thanks for the info. I'm a lefty and usually when I carry open, it's closer to the front a bit. I have not really tried going back farther than 9:00. ( When I conceal I'm usually using a sticky holster inside the waistband at appendix, so that won't fly for this application.) Sounds like the Speed cant on the Kydex is best for me.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Great shooting, Diva. I am a FAN!

I have the benefit of hindsight over many years of friend Bonnie's shooting skills. May I share? Bonnie and I have been "together" for 16-17 years. She is my best friend in the world and shooting skills changed her whole life!

I got her a "Chipmunk" rifle because she is so small (5'1") she shot it well, but out grew it in a few days.

Got her an old Marlin .22 bolt action rifle, refinished it and she began to shoot it very well. She participated in Pearland's "Roses with Guns" group with my G26.

I gave her my Glock 26 for a birthday or Christmas, and she was off to the races!

She shot her first 200 yard rifle match at Pearland with that Marlin .22 rifle and her scores were very respectable. She was so nervous at her first match, she lost her breakfast.

When her Marlin 917V .17HMR rifle came aboard, she really took off! That accurate rifle was amazing in her hands and she progressed very quickly in the 200 yard matches in Beaumont.

Because of back surgery, she had to shoot matches from a little table that we made, so they gave Bonnie her own class in the matches. Her class was the "Butterfly class" named after the butterflies that she suspended from wires on the receiver of her rifle! The REAL reason that she had her own class was that no one could beat her, so they put her in a class by herself! She shot "High Master" (over 97%) scores at every match at 200 yards.

If you look closely at the photo, you can see the butterflies flying over the receiver of her rifle and her "Scooby Do" ammo box. She did things HER OWN way!

The pistol matches were too "Type A" high strung for our laid back lifestyles, so we continued shooting rifle matches at Beaumont for nearly 8 years.

Bonnie competed in many 600 yard matches in "F" class (scoped rifles) and continued with her pistol shooting. She also shot 200 yard matches with her AR-15.

She became a Correctional Officer and qualified every year with .357 magnum, 12 gauge shotgun and AR-15 rifles. She has her Texas LTC and carries her G26 in a shoulder holster.

She retired as a CO-4 from Texas Dept of Criminal Justice. She was so small that folks called her the "Shetland Sheriff." She was a Mentor training officer for new Officers. The Offenders respected her highly and she retired without a single demerit or disciplinary report!

It all started with her shooting skills! Her confidence soared and it changed her life!

You go girl! Good things are gonna come from this adventure.

Flash

Attachments

• BONNIE WITH HUMMINGBIRD TINY 4-9-08.jpg
      BONNIE WITH HUMMINGBIRD TINY 4-9-08.jpg
      26 KB · Views: 222
    Last edited:

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    Flash! That's an amazing story, and a great picture. I really get the point about getting started and not sweating the small stuff. It looks like you have had some great experiences doing matches and how awesome that match coordinators worked with her to make that happen. Bonnie sounds like a really ace lady!

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    On top of that, I helped some ladies learn shoot that wound up shooting better than me. Moonpie can attest to that.

from an idgit coffeeholic

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Yes, Bonnie is a gem! She moved away (25 miles) but she comes over a lot to co-parent Jake the Wonder Dog. Well, maybe to see me, too. She'll be over tomorrow and she is always welcome.

Bonnie gave me some words of wisdom that I'll share. We went to a match at Pearland and the light was awful, wind was blowing like crazy and I was getting frustrated as heck. She said "Everyone else is battling the same conditions, too." That was true and I'm ashamed that I didn't think of it. As some of the other members said....You don't go there to win against the other shooters. You compete against yourself from your previous matches. Annoying though it may be, those adverse conditions make you a better shooter.

Not to brag, but I beat some damned good shooters simply by double checking my equipment, ammo, loaded the gear into the car from a checklist and being fed, rested and committed to shoot the BEST that I could. Some of the others didn't keep all of the loose ends tied up and they beat themselves!

Bonnie shooting the NRA High Power matches didn't come easily. At first, the match directors were not very positive about her shooting the 200 yard matches from a table.

I sent for a copy of the NRA rules which stated very clearly that matches WOULD accommodate shooters with handicaps (her back surgery). After she shot a few matches, the guys accepted her as one of them. Heck, they liked her better than they liked me! If I showed up without her, they'd ask: "Where's Bonnie?"

Thanks for the kind words. Please don't miss the point that every time Bonnie overcame a challenge in her match shooting, she got stronger, more confident and more capable! Her shooting sports activities changed her whole life!

Go Girl!

Flash

Last edited:

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    Thanks, Flash!

I just bought ammo for my next A Girl and A Gun class on Tuesday. I'll have to leave a little early because I gotta take my son up to his doctor's appointment in Houston, but I bet I'll get a good couple of hours in. Last month at the breakfast meeting it was so much fun, and so neat to be hanging out with other cool Texas ladies which I don't always get to do very often cause I'm too busy with my work/ family.

I'll go to the Pearland ladies class again in a couple of Saturdays also.

I'm getting really motivated to find the right holster. I did see on that Comp-Tac site they have a drop offset holster which they report is good for ladies with curves and is legal for IDPA. I have arms that are kinda long so I think this might help me a bit too (with the gun further down on my body; I'm pretty short waisted). I'm gonna give them a call there and talk to them.

https://www.agirlandagun.org/competition-gear-check/
    a paddle mag holster is also recommended here to address the issue of crappy minimal belt loops on most women's pants.

So, holster, mag holder, and belt coming soon!!!

I also researched the 511 pants I want but honestly at $75 those will be for the budget next year. (First in line is my foot orthotics to correct my ankle issues!).

Last edited:

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    I stumbled across these guys either by way of someone on TGT or another forum:

www.whitehatholsters.com

If my attempt at providing a link fails (I am on Tapatalk) just use your Google-Fu and track them down.

They look like a good product, have good reviews, and are right here in Texas. Numerous gun choices to choose from, and you can swap the Kydex portion out if you switch guns. This would be a less expensive alternative to buying a new holster for the new gun.

There are numerous customizable options offered by White Hat as well. You choose your leather, what image or design you want on your Kydex, and wether you want standard or combat cut.

I don't know if any of thier offerings are usable/legal for competitions, but you could easily find out.

I have never done any competitive shooting, but would really like to give it a whirl. I'll just make sure I am not competing against you. You would most likely smoke me, and I would have to turn in my man card for losing to a girl.

PhulesAu

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 26, 2013
    Texas, Mostly
    Where did you find info for Pearland ? Herself has been dropping hints about trying some hand gunning, if I ran across a group.

PhulesAu

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 26, 2013
    Texas, Mostly
    Ahhh, I had given up on them. The waiting list time was a real Bummer.. She'll be happy to have something so close, 10 minutes on a bad day.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Years ago in Tulsa, I competed in what they called "Combat Shooting." I preferred belt holsters with 1911 pistols rigged for cross draw right hand shooting. Never had a bit of problems from safety issues. All of their match stages started from a holster draw. (Incidentally, Bill Wilson of Wilson Combat, from Berryville Arkansas, used to drive over to compete with us in Tulsa.)

Now, in 2017, I'm a big guy and wearing a belt holster just doesn't work for me, so I carry with shoulder holsters and that means.....cross draw. That started some controversy at the BASC (Bay Area Shooting Club) facility especially with horizontal positioned shoulder holsters because you sweep other shooters when you draw.

Anyway, we settled it this way: We can carry our CHL/LTC pistols in horizontal SH's on club property, but we can't use the SH's for actual practice on the pistol range. It seemed like a good compromise.

Flash

Top Bottom