• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thack1963

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Copperas Cove
    Retired Military guy here, teaching my Wife and Daughter to shoot. I had my wife out the first time for her to fire anything other then a Rifle she fired back in ROTC, she handled my Springfield Armory 40 XD(M) very well. I will be going for my CHL soon, would like some recommendations please. Also on concealed carry, here is one issue, I wear a back brace most of the time, after 3 operations on my lower back I need it, but it completely blocks my belt line, any suggestions on alternate carry holsters that might be worth looking at? I am a fairly large guy, 6 foot 230 lbs.
    Thanks, enjoy reading the posts and plan to be active.
    Terry and Carolyn
    Venture Surplus ad

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Welcome aboard brother, thanks for your service, former jarhead here. A lot of guys on the forum are former military/LEO so you're amongst friends. As far as your holster issue I guess it would depend on your EDC (every day carry) there's a lot of good in the pocket holsters and might check into a shoulder holster setup for when you could wear a jacket or something. I'm sure someone with better advice to offer will be along shortly, again welcome.

10mm and 45

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    San Antonio
    Welcome and thank you for your service. You might look into a shirt style holster like the 511 tactical. I never tried one but it might work well in your situation.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    welcome and thank you me army 78-82 sorry about your back i would go with a shoulder rig cover shirt but this is texas and its hot

Gramps

Cultured Pirate
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Central Houston
    Welcome to the forum and thanks for your service! Have you looked into appendix holsters? I have been eyeing the Dale Fricke Archangel myself.

thack1963

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Copperas Cove
    Thanks for your service also. I am thinking I may have to go with a shoulder rig. The brace is pretty large and covers a lot of my torso. I wear a lot of shirts from Duluth trading company over a tee-shirt, so I would be OK. My carry may end up being my SA 40 XDM 4.5 inch, so a shoulder rig might be it.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Welcome from just down the road.

Is an ankle holster out of the question? I am guessing you have limited mobility. You could pocket carry with a holster.

thack1963

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Copperas Cove
    thanks for all the input, might be easier if i post a picture of the brace. ankle is pretty much out a lot of times i cant get my own shoes on perhaps iwb might fit on the brace sorry for the poor typing grandson on lap...lol

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    My only thought other than something like a shoulder rig would be to maybe try to modify your back brace in some fashion. Some pics of the brace at some point would likely give us a better idea of your options.

And welcome to the forum.

Dredge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Spring
    You could probably get one of the "shells" from Comp-Tac or whomever, maybe even attach a leather version directly to your brace.
    Just have to check out positioning so it won't profile so much. Depending on how long you need to wear your brace in the future, when you have a new one made, have your Orthotist take your concerns into consideration for fabrication.

Top Bottom