Texas SOT

A new situation to consider: attack on you and a loved one by a group of young teens

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sid

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Austin
    Just saw and then read up on this story on the news. A marine, on leave, and his wife got assaulted while exiting a theater in Florida.

The media is also downplaying or ignoring a good semaritan who brandished his CCW to help aside, but that's a whole different thread.

Marine Home From Iraq War, Wife Allegedly Assaulted Outside Florida Theater by Teen Mob - FoxNews.com

As a CHL/CCW carrier, I'm not sure what I would have done in this marine's place.

There is this issue of "disparity of force" in this situation, where things can escape your control in an instant. A shove, trip, sucker punch, etc.

Next, the whole age of the assailants, some as young as 15.

Finally, so many bystanders in the path of over penetration.

Yet another reason I don't like crowded events and new situations to be aware of...
    ARJ Defense ad

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    Thats sad!
    I agree the man should have pulled the gun and even shot any of the trash as they attacked the lady. He didnt, so who know's what could have happened.

I know what I would have done and it's the same thing I did in Abbeville Louisiana several years ago as a mob of punks surrounded a cop when he was attempting to arrest some POS I threw out of a cafe I was eating in.

All I can say is when your threatened with violence, Law Makers can kiss my ass!

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    Disparity of force isn't an age issue. "There were a lot of people near me, they were threatening me, some of them physicaly attacked me. I was in fear for my life, so I drew my firearm and shot the attacker(s)". Then STFU until you speak with your attorney.

APatriot

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    Thats sad!
    I agree the man should have pulled the gun and even shot any of the trash as they attacked the lady. He didnt, so who know's what could have happened.

I know what I would have done and it's the same thing I did in Abbeville Louisiana several years ago as a mob of punks surrounded a cop when he was attempting to arrest some POS I threw out of a cafe I was eating in.

All I can say is when your threatened with violence, Law Makers can kiss my ass!

Oh my!!

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I read this earlier, and I don't know what I would have done had I been the marine and armed. Get the crap beaten out of you, and go home (or hospital) might be better than shooting a couple of the under aged thugs and spend the next 2 years and a bunch of money defending your actions in court. But then who knows, maybe would have killed you with repeated blows to the head. I can say this, had I witnessed someone sucker punching my wife and knocking her out, all bets are off.

APatriot

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    I read this earlier, and I don't know what I would have done had I been the marine and armed. Get the crap beaten out of you, and go home (or hospital) might be better than shooting a couple of the under aged thugs and spend the next 2 years and a bunch of money defending your actions in court. But then who knows, maybe would have killed you with repeated blows to the head. I can say this, had I witnessed someone sucker punching my wife and knocking her out, all bets are off.

An "ass whoopin" of the punks, particularly in regard to punching the wife" would have been in order without qualification or reservation of any kind. Key question: what level of force would have been justified? Who knows based on what I consider insufficient information of the circumstances provided in the article.

Sid

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Austin
    An "ass whoopin" of the punks, particularly in regard to punching the wife" would have been in order without qualification or reservation of any kind. Key question: what level of force would have been justified? Who knows based on what I consider insufficient information of the circumstances provided in the article.

Yes, definitely insufficient facts about this marine's incident. I'm just taking into consideration the conditions that did occur: unexpected assault, large group of assailants, crowd of bystanders behind the assailants, and the very young age of the assailants.

I have the same concern: what level of force would the legal system consider justified? Even here in Texas, will our Castle Doctrine protect someone in this situation who shot to kill a group of 15 yr olds in self-defense?

Just like you two, if my fiance is struck down with a sucker punch, I'll be pulling the trigger till slide lock and speed reload my spare.

rbrthenderson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2010
    NRH
    If I'm in legitimate fear for my life or someone else, then I'm going to try to put distance between me and the threat. If I'm unable to do that, then I'm drawing and prepared to end the threat.

If all else fails, I revert to my favorite quote...

"I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6."

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Yes, definitely insufficient facts about this marine's incident. I'm just taking into consideration the conditions that did occur: unexpected assault, large group of assailants, crowd of bystanders behind the assailants, and the very young age of the assailants.

I have the same concern: what level of force would the legal system consider justified? Even here in Texas, will our Castle Doctrine protect someone in this situation who shot to kill a group of 15 yr olds in self-defense?
    The only aspect if the castle doctrine here is that you would not need to retreat.

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    Pepper spray may be a viable option? I started carrying a can of mean green around with me. Opinions?

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas

I agree 100% with the " All Bets Are Off".
    I have been in a lot of crap and have never had any desire to shoot anyone. I'll be honest, I have shot "At" some scum before, but not with any intentions of shooting them.
    One thing I am subject to do is turn shit for brains black and blue. I have actually done this in front of a Deputy Sheriff before. He saw the whole event and was actually the best witness I could ever had.
    I agree with the time and money defending yourself for shooting someone because I dont feel like a person off his own property will get a fair trial in Texas if he or she doesnt have the CHL....
    But then again yall know all about my opinion toward Elitist Law.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    He is a Marine i dont know about the Corps when it comes to Hand to Hand but if they are trained anywhere near the way we are in the Army he didnt need the gun his hand would have been enough force to take care of the situation.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    He should have also been taught about the use of force and the escalation of force. which should have been use your hands first and the gun as a last resort.

APatriot

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    He is a Marine i dont know about the Corps when it comes to Hand to Hand but if they are trained anywhere near the way we are in the Army he didnt need the gun his hand would have been enough force to take care of the situation.

You don't know all the circumstances here about this Spartan and his wife other than what was mentioned in the freaking article. So quit jumping to conclusions like what the Army teaches is superior to what the Marine Corps teaches, it sounds and looks ridiculous. It paints the picture of a "boy scout" troop talking about "field tactics and urban warfare". Although I do have friends who served in the Army Rangers, I do understand the Army, as an overall organization, has forever lived in the shadow of what is the Marine Corps. Simply ask America!! Speaking specifically about hand-to-hand and the Marine Corps is like putting "hand in glove". The word "Marine" in any context requires a "moment of silence", "appreciation", and above all else, "respect" for what Marines are and what Marines stand for - America's Spartans who have carried the "flag" of American Imperialism Worldwide, and I use the word "Imperialism" with a positive connotation. I know, I am arrogant. I have earned it.

Thank you in advance from a Marine. Hoo Rah!!!

http://www.lifeasamarine.com/marines/supporting/why-the-marines

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering
    if they've made a difference. The Marines don't
    have that problem."
    -Author Unknown

APatriot

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    He should have also been taught about the use of force and the escalation of force. which should have been use your hands first and the gun as a last resort.

Besides the Army affiliation, what are you a retired E5? In either case, such would explain your lack of understanding of what America's Spartans are taught.

cseale86

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    East Houston
    I agree that once force is applied age shouldn't be an issue.Reading deeper into the article it shows that even once the officers responded several of the teens had to be dealt with by force of LEO's.

It's a sad situation that our fighting men get home out of harms way only to have things like this happen.I feel that truly the way this was handled the only way appropriate.If someone had taken a stand and defended the pair with force he would be a "child killing gun-toting maniac".

My main question is why would a group of people stand by and watch.In my eyes seeing something like this that could happen so easily to me,my wife and child sets a fire in me.

Having very little faith in the majority of my society is why i choose to carry everyday. It's the same instance as the viral internet video of the officer getting all but beaten to death while people step around and over whilst the officer yells for help.

Top Bottom