Guns International

A sign of a bad economy and times have changed?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    I was at sears while others where in the mall. After looking in tools I have questions to ask: 1. How does sears make money? With prices higher than what they should be and tools still hanging on the racks from the early 90s!! There were two guys in there and I was one of them. 2. While I was walking into the mall entrance I noticed lots of stuff in sears on clearance big time in their other departments.
    Ok so I get into the mall and almost every store either had a clearance sign or some big sale promotion. I dont remember in the early 00's seeing any of that. So my thought is no one is buying so stores are marking stuff down? Meaning bad economy.

Yes folks I think about this kind of stuff when Im in public.

The other question is where the heck did the younger crowd go? I remember as a teenager we use to go the mall on the weekends for hours and hours. Or to the bowling alley, paintball and or (some place like that) When I was in there today I saw young couples, baby boomer crowd and elderly people.
    Asked my uncle whats the deal he said: well They are either working,vacation, or smoking pot, staying home and on the video game machines. I said yeah your right!
    Texas SOT

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    It doesn't mean the economy is bad off, but the public has gotten wiser and more frugal. Shops will mark items at list price or MSRP, and then sell at a 20-30% discount while still making a 25% profit.

Elbe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    San Antonio
    For clothing, it is close to the time (July)when retailers start moving out their summer items to make way for fall/winter clothing.

I read somewhere that Sears is struggling and will likely close some stores.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    It doesn't mean the economy is bad off, but the public has gotten wiser and more frugal. Shops will mark items at list price or MSRP, and then sell at a 20-30% discount while still making a 25% profit.

People get more frugal when the economy is bad. Had a conversation about that when I was up in Michigan in a town that has no money in it.

kusai

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Bedford TX
    I remember late 80's when i was still pretty young, my uncle bragged about his job and went on with the list of benifits his company paid

His salary
    Rental Home
    Retirement
    Kids Tuition
    Gas (he proudly drove a gas guzzler in those days)
    All expense paid vacation

And now he is thankful if he even got his wage paid in full. No doubt he has become a penny pincher

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Yes, the economy sucks. Less in Texas than some other areas, but lots of companies are hurting. Sears was hurting before they got bought out by Target, now both stores are hurting. A bunch of Sears stores (mostly in other parts of the country are closing). They're desperate for cash flow. With Sears, most of the problems are poor management; the economy just magnifies the issue.

As for cheaper tools at Sears, they are also more cheaply made. When I was younger, Sears tools were the best. In fact, you sometimes paid a premium for their tools. They ALL had a lifetime guarantee, no questions asked. Now? I've seen several screaming matches at Sears with people bringing back tools that were broken and the manager telling them they had to have the original receipt or that they would only give them a discount for what the tool cost when they bought it, etc.

kurt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Tyler, Texas
    As to Sears, I have bought a stove and dishwasher there in the past six months. Both were on sale at a better price than I could find elsewhere. My large rolling tool chest was the same story three years ago. I can't afford to buy tools off the truck and Craftsman still makes good hand tools. I'm not opposed to Kobalt or the other big box brand, they just lack selection beyond the very basic stuff. The bottom line for me is that for appliances and tools, Sears has been competitive, not so much for clothing or other items.

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    Yes, the economy sucks. Less in Texas than some other areas, but lots of companies are hurting. Sears was hurting before they got bought out by Target, now both stores are hurting. A bunch of Sears stores (mostly in other parts of the country are closing). They're desperate for cash flow. With Sears, most of the problems are poor management; the economy just magnifies the issue.

As for cheaper tools at Sears, they are also more cheaply made. When I was younger, Sears tools were the best. In fact, you sometimes paid a premium for their tools. They ALL had a lifetime guarantee, no questions asked. Now? I've seen several screaming matches at Sears with people bringing back tools that were broken and the manager telling them they had to have the original receipt or that they would only give them a discount for what the tool cost when they bought it, etc.

<threadjack> Really? If this truly is the case, I'm 100% done with sears. I've got tools I've been meaning to return for 10+ years but have spares so i keep hanging onto them for my one big return trip. Lately i've been more inclined to buy homie depot tools anyways. I had myself convinced that HD would take a faulty sears tool in trade for a husky tool. there was a big jar full of defective craftsman tools in the HD store. </threadjack>

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Ive been buying tools from lowes here lately with that no hassle life time warrenty. Cant beat it. Wow target bought out sears? So they own kmart too?

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I remember late 80's when i was still pretty young, my uncle bragged about his job and went on with the list of benifits his company paid

His salary
    Rental Home
    Retirement
    Kids Tuition
    Gas (he proudly drove a gas guzzler in those days)
    All expense paid vacation

And now he is thankful if he even got his wage paid in full. No doubt he has become a penny pincher

Well, in the '80s a gas guzzler didn't really matter since fuel prices were around $.80.

I worked in CA after the dotcom bust, and one of the shops I worked for, the owner told me about the heyday. These guys would be making so much money, they'd bring a newer car in for service, get an estimate for $800-$1000 and just say "nah, I'll just buy a new one." When people are doing well, they'll gladly pay for convenience or status. When times get hard, they tighten their belts and find themselves a better deal.

We aren't all that bad off in Texas... yet. You guys really should really see how bad things are in Michigan.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Now? I've seen several screaming matches at Sears with people bringing back tools that were broken and the manager telling them they had to have the original receipt or that they would only give them a discount for what the tool cost when they bought it, etc.

I always bought my appliances and tools at Sears. Not long ago, I had a Craftsman laser level that was obviously defective as the liquid leaked out of the bubble levels. They gave me a terrible time about the warranty on that unit and it will be the LAST thing that I buy from them. Their explanation was that the tool end of the business was no longer part of the Sears store, that meant I had to show a receipt and free replacement was no longer an option. Note too, that many of their products are made in China like others are.

I bought Harbor Freight tools when I returned to industry instead of taking my Craftsman, Proto, Snap On and other good tools to work. I worked Maintenance in a steel mill and a heavy manufacturing fabrication/blow molding/welding company where tools get used HARD.

I always let the production workers borrow my tools so they wouldn't steal them. I didn't lock my box during my shift and lost not ONE tool! They always returned them but some of the items were abused beyond belief! I had a pair of HF Channel Locks that were beaten with a hammer (to pull some locating pins) for a full 8 hour shift! I still have them and they're still working!

In 4-5 years of that, I broke a HF ratchet and a spring loaded center punch which HF promptly replaced without a gripe. I burned up a HF angle grinder after working it non stop for hours in the fabrication shop. The motor brush holders actually melted! I ate that but it cost me less than $20 to replace! Those tools were used hard and abused much. I still have all of them and use them every day!

I know some of the automotive shop owners rag on HF tools but I've had terrific luck with them! Tool snobs are just like any other kind of snobs......they're just plain snobs!

Back to the OP. Take Sears guff? Not on a bet! I'm through with them!

Flash

cleric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    DFW
    I was surprised when sears didn't have lock tite a few weeks ago. The guy tried to sell me super glue instead...

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    I used to love Craftsman tools but the Kobalt pro line from Lowes is very much the same if not even higher quality. Malls are dying all over the US and Sears will need to seriously change their business model if they want to remaun relevant. I can't even remember the last time I was at a mall. I'm in Lowes and even Home Depot almost weekly. Shopping and spending patterns have changed drastically over the last 20 years and I just don't see it returning to malls anytime soon. Especially in the South.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    We bought a NordiTrack treadmill from Sears less than a year ago, it not only was a bit cheaper than anywhere else we saw the same model for sale, we also got free delivery and set-up on the deal.

While we don't shop a lot at Sears, they sometimes have some good bargains and are worth checking out; but I agree that for the most part there are cheaper options out there...

Sears also made the mistake of buying out KMart, which is pretty much a retail anchor these days. I stopped by one while in Hawaii, it's a dying chain as well.

Cheers! M2

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    I determined Ive been to home depot 3 times and lowes two times in the last 3 days. Getting the little things fixed on the house... called maintenance.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Sears has been in trouble for a while, it is only a matter of time, just like radio shack.

They just haven't adjusted to the changes in the market.

I guess the people in malls just don't know what a wrench is...

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    Sears...IMO...was one of the first stores to be crapped on by the "bottom liners," who thought by cutting employees and reducing service would help the business overall. Stupid is as stupid does. Like country_boy said, walk into any Sears and it's a ghost town, and about the only help you'll find is a sales clerk or two in the appliances department. The bottom liners killed Sears.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jakeps
    Top Bottom