• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SloppyShooter

Certifiable
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    You mean adults. Kids cannot buy ammunition. Education doesn't stop in the classroom. I have learned much more about ballistics and forces outside of school than I did while I was in.

It amazes me the amount of ignorance out there. SOOOOOO many people can't grasp that a bullet fired from a gun drops at the same rate as one dropped from the hand.
    "Flat" shooting rifles...no, the bullet just travels faster, so, has less time to drop.
    ARJ Defense ad

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    It's for men. You wouldn't like it.

annoyed-dogs.jpg

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    It amazes me the amount of ignorance out there. SOOOOOO many people can't grasp that a bullet fired from a gun drops at the same rate as one dropped from the hand.
    "Flat" shooting rifles...no, the bullet just travels faster, so, has less time to drop.

I've had many people try and tell me a bullet rises after it leaves the muzzle.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I've had many people try and tell me a bullet rises after it leaves the muzzle.
    It does if it's pointed up....
    Which, I suppose to be fair, is somewhat "true." I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt that is what people actually mean. It'd obviously be better to explain more, something like "When sighted for zero at 100 yards, the barrel is angled slightly upwards so the bullet will travel slightly above the elevation of the muzzle for a portion of its travel due to the need to overcome gravity." Then you could get more technical and factor all the variables that come into play with distance shooting and asplode das heds.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    But, it's still dropping just as fast as one dropped from the hand.

Well, I gu
    More like one tossed up the same distance vertically...

For direct comparison to the one dropped, the one fired must be from a barrel tangential to the earth, and even then it's drop will be continually affected by the curvature of the Earth, and of longer duration than the one dropped as a result of that curvature. I think I am right on that...

The longest hang time for any projectile, with any initial velocity, will always be for an initial trajectory of 45° tangential.

SloppyShooter

Certifiable
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    More like one tossed up the same distance vertically...

For direct comparison to the one dropped, the one fired must be from a barrel tangential to the earth, and even then it's drop will be continually affected by the curvature of the Earth, and of longer duration than the one dropped as a result of that curvature. I think I am right on that...

The longest hang time for any projectile, with any initial velocity, will always be for an initial trajectory of 45° tangential.

Yep but even still that bullet is dropping by the rate of gravity.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Most .22LR rimfire that’s subsonic is just labeled as “standard velocity” as opposed to “high velocity”. But since most brands print the velocity (fps) on the box, it’s pretty easy to determine which breaks the sound barrier (which, of course, helps to defeat the purpose of a suppressor). Standard velocity (subsonic) is also preferred for most match grade .22LR since transonic instability can be avoided (at least that’s a common perception).

Last edited:

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Most .22LR rimfire that’s subsonic is just labeled as “standard velocity” as opposed to “high velocity”. But since most brands print the velocity (fps) on the box, it’s pretty easy to determine which breaks the sound barrier (which, of course, helps to defeat the purpose of a suppressor.
    Which brings us back to the OP.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Uh, many people can't count change from a purchase.

Anything more complex just eliminates more of the population that will not understand.

Top Bottom