Capitol Armory ad

A word of warning to those plan on bugging out if SHTF.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M1Garand

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    WARNING : Brain is rather scattered right now due to the intense heat, some things may not make much sense.​

I've noticed a lot of people who plan on bugging out make it out to seem like a hiking trip. I'm here to tell you, that it's far from it. I (stupidly, but ingeniously) decided to go for a quick 3 mile hike. (Which actually turned out to be a 6 mile hike, since I had to walk back. Kids sure don't think ahead, huh?) I got the inspiration to do this out of the blue after watching THIS video. I wanted to assess my fitness levels, to see if I could hack Bugging Out.

I made adequate preparations for the trip. I packed a 24 oz bottle with very chilled water, made sure I had a good meal consisting of carbs and protein 30 minutes prior, good, comfortable hiking shoes, light clothing, etc. I wanted to simulate a Bug Out situation and packed two 15 lb weights in my pack. (30 lbs is a good 72 Hour Get Home bag, imo.) Since I live in the country, there's various backroads with canals along the sides. I did my hiking there, very rough and uneven terrain. (I'm a bit of masochist, I like to push myself beyond my comfort zone.) Having to had walk four miles before in a semi-SHTF situation (I was in 7th grade in Austin, and some dumbass bus driver dropped me off at the wrong stop. I was very unfamiliar with the area and since the roads/sidewalks dip then go up, I was very unprepared at the time) and making it alive (thankfully), I figured I could do three miles (really 6, 'cause I had to walk back) no problem. The first three miles weren't so bad, I was enjoying it really. Seeing ducks, whitetail, cows and various other farm animals and wild life in their natural habitat. I stopped at a little bridge (2 mile mark), drank about 4 Ozs of water then continued down. It was at the 3 mile mark that the fatigue starting setting in... I was only .5 miles away from the end of the canal.

I noticed my backpack seemed heavier, so I took it off and set it down on the canal walkway, which was grassy and had some flowers. I took a 20 second break, drank 2 Ozs of water then went on my way. One my way back to the lil' bridge, I was taking a 10 second break every .5 mile... I figured I'd take a five minute break when I got to the bridge.

Once I got to the bridge, I took a nice, 'long' break. I started drinking the rest of my water until there was only 1/4th left. I figured I would need it, considering the heat was at its peak right now. Once I packed up and got to the 3.5 mile mark... My skin felt like it was literally on fire. I grabbed the water bottle out of my pack and drenched my arms and head with what little water I had left. It felt good... and I was re-energized. I marched onward (naively, one might say). The clouds started coming back and I was relieve... until the 4.5 mile mark. I was walking dangerously close to the edge of the canal and the steep dip that was only a few feet from me... I started thinking about getting one weights out of my pack and tossing it down there. (Which, thinking back now; would've been a wise move). I decided to man it up and keep on going... though I was going at a snails pace now, I was going around .1 MPH, at this point. When I got off of the canal... I was very relieved. I finally could walk on something that was more comfortable. I took a one minute break, the 30lbs now felt like 90lbs. I was only .7 miles away from home, though. I figured I could make it...

Boy was I wrong. When I got to the .5 mark, I immediately took shelter underneath the big ol' tree, threw my pack on the ground and sat on it. The shade helped, but it didn't stop the heatwave, neither could the wind. I wasn't thinking logically now, my body went into survival mode. I felt some weird sensation in the lower part of my stomach. I rested for five minutes, cleaned out my boots and socks and got up. I tried to lift the pack up, but realized I would probably pass out or die of a heat stroke or something if I continued at the pace I was going. I (stupidly, but again, ingeniously) threw out one of the 15lb weights and started walking as fast as I could (Even though I was going now at .2-3 MPH, it was still an improvement over .05-1 MPH).

The heat wave just got worse and the sun rays got brighter, it felt like I was in hell. My own personal hell. When I got to the .25 mile mark, I immediately took shade in one of the few small trees around and dumped the other 15lb weight. I NEEDED to make it back fast, or else I might not make it home. I shielded my face by putting the pack over my head and was now more nimble and able to walk faster. When I was only 15 yards away from my house, I started sprinting as fast as I could. I needed to get into the cold house. And I did.

Now, imagine all that happening while people are shooting at you, you have other people to worry about, you have to worry about hunting, finding shelter, supplies, etc. If I had to get in a gun fight with other people, when I was at the 5.5 mile mark... I highly doubt I would've made it. I know a lot of people who have gear in their BOBS and such that weigh more than 30lbs... I hope they can actually haul it around for a good distance. I'd hate for them to realize they can't do it, when it matters the most.

I plan on trying to do it again, but with much more water the next time around.
    DK Firearms

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Nice read, plus one must think of health issues, age, and flat out one can do.
    I have high bp cholesterol, bad knees, back. So no matter what i see on tv, or think or wish i could do it aint the case,
    In the words of clint (a man got to know his limitations) being billy badass aint going to cut it.
    So now plan b must be put into effect......
    The body tells the tale. I could not walk a mile, before my stints, now i can but not carrying a side arm, long gun 12 ga water food ammo, and the rest.
    Aint gonna happen not me at least.

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    Nice read, plus one must think of health issues, age, and flat out one can do.
    I have high bp cholesterol, bad knees, back. So no matter what i see on tv, or think or wish i could do it aint the case,
    In the words of clint (a man got to know his limitations) being billy badass aint going to cut it.
    So now plan b must be put into effect......
    The body tells the tale. I could not walk a mile, before my stints, now i can but not carrying a side arm, long gun 12 ga water food ammo, and the rest.
    Aint gonna happen not me at least.

you my friend need a serious bug in plan.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    OP, you need to re-acess your situation and form a better plan

not everyone can bug out and I can't imagine bugging out on foot

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    thats a creepy ass thought right there

Everybody needs a gimp.

agejumeh.jpg

Sent from a creepy ass cracka.

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    OP, you need to re-acess your situation and form a better plan

not everyone can bug out and I can't imagine bugging out on foot

you may have to.

I would have a serious problem on foot. I have a 4 year old, a 19 month old, and a elderly women, that would not make it very far.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    No lie i have come that there is no run for me.
    I have food water not enough right now. But workin on it,
    A generator ammo and weapons, my plan is to find some where safe, for momma
    And the babies, me i have no family here, and to get back to Ks. Will be a hard fight.
    So no thats out, get momma safe then stand my ground.
    As best i can. Cause if that happens, if they want it the price will be high.

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    I always plan to go it alone. In true Texan fashion, "I'll do it myself". People will flake on you (unless it's vaquero). Never put my eggs in that basket...

Keep your eye on Kroger. They run sales on 3 liter bottles of water for 50cent from time to time

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Bugging out by vehicle is good IF you can get the jump on traffic.

As far as humping a 50 pound pack out of civilization...most people who think they can do it are lying to themselves. I have hiked a lot, rucked a lot and its not something most can just jump into without training and conditioning.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I think everyone watches too many movies and too much TV. I'd put a bit more importance on focusing on what's right in front of you.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I think everyone watches too many movies and too much TV. I'd put a bit more importance on focusing on what's right in front of you.

I agree on that. Folks should focus more on getting out of debt and in good health and not figuring out the perfect caliber and if 20,000 or 25,000 rounds of 22LR is the "right" amount for the REM song.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Interesting experiment. I've considered doing the same by doing my normal running trails. 3-6miles is relatively easy when I'm doing my workout. Actually carrying a load of stuff, not so much. I don't plan on just grabbing an arm full and walking off into the woods though. I'm confident my fitness level wouldn't be a weak point but an asset to the total plan. As for a plan, well that there is the challenge. A plan for every situation and all variables is a lot to put in place.

Top Bottom