Hurley's Gold

A word of warning to those plan on bugging out if SHTF.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    you may have to.

I would have a serious problem on foot. I have a 4 year old, a 19 month old, and a elderly women, that would not make it very far.

I'm betting the event won't happen like in "World War Z" and the whole towns goes to crap in 10 minutes from the first notice.

The key is to start moving when the first warning signs happen. If you move out and it's a false alarm, consider it practice

I'm not doing it on foot unless there is something like a EMP and blows out my car's brains, then I go to the 1982 Diesel truck..

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I'm betting the event won't happen like in "World War Z" and the whole towns goes to crap in 10 minutes from the first notice.

The key is to start moving when the first warning signs happen. If you move out and it's a false alarm, consider it practice

I'm not doing it on foot unless there is something like a EMP and blows out my car's brains, then I go to the 1982 Diesel truck..

I just dont see how driving out of a major city is going to be an option unless you're one of the first ones. Dirt bike may be a good way to go or one of those enduro (sp?) bikes.

However it happens, it definitely wont be exactly as anyone planned it.

Get the basics. Do what you can. Bugging in for a few days may be a good move. Who knows though depending on the details. So i suppose just prepare for both. Live in an RV.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I just dont see how driving out of a major city is going to be an option unless you're one of the first ones. Dirt bike may be a good way to go or one of those enduro (sp?) bikes.

However it happens, it definitely wont be exactly as anyone planned it.

Get the basics. Do what you can. Bugging in for a few days may be a good move. Who knows though depending on the details. So i suppose just prepare for both. Live in an RV.

I've got a BOL

I also don't know what some folks are going to do besides plan to run away from the cities...then what? get killed for trespassing when you go off road, or stay on the roads and get picked up by DHS and sent off to camp

I feel bad for those who have to live in big cities, I can't figure how you can get out of there unless you get the jump on a million other people

I'll take my 30K town with a 5 minute rush hour

Last edited:

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    I've got a BOL

I also don't know what some folks are going to do besides plan to run away from the cities...then what? get killed for trespassing when you go off road, or stay on the roads and get picked up by DHS and sent off to camp
    thats ideal, but i dont have a bol, so when people flee, i go through and find what i need

RickLovesBacon

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Austin
    It just depends on what part of the city you live in and how big it is. If you know the back roads well, that could lead You out of a city quickly. Everyone is going to listen to the news for some kind of exit. And you just avoid that route. Since I bet all those listening for instructions will not be prepared.

Sent from the Bacon isle at your local grocery store.

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    The biggest question is where do you go?
    I was thinking about buying a boat and heading to the inlaws.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    With Lubbock being located in the south pacific, I don't expect to have to bug either way. As long as my supply of Cheetos and Old Milwaukee holds out, I will do just fine. Oops, gotta go......I'm refereeing a volleyball tournament on the topless beach. This post should mess with the NSA's mind.

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    It saddens me to heart you say that. "For as long as i can". I hate to think of you alone putting up the good fight.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I've got a BOL

I feel bad for those who have to live in big cities, I can't figure how you can get out of there unless you get the jump on a million other people

I'll take my 30K town with a 5 minute rush hour

Good point, it'll be interesting to say the least.

As I see it, whether you are in the country or the city/burbs, if you're in any structure it's going to be a bitch. I don't care what preps you have to defend it, all's it's going to take is fire to take it down.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I always plan to go it alone. In true Texan fashion, "I'll do it myself". People will flake on you (unless it's vaquero). Never put my eggs in that basket...

Keep your eye on Kroger. They run sales on 3 liter bottles of water for 50cent from time to time

I'll be dipped. Somebody's paying attention.
    You make it to my side, you're covered bro.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Good point, it'll be interesting to say the least.

As I see it, whether you are in the country or the city/burbs, if you're in any structure it's going to be a bitch. I don't care what preps you have to defend it, all's it's going to take is fire to take it down.

If I am a target. I promise to be a pop up shoot back target.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    OP, you need to re-acess your situation and form a better plan

not everyone can bug out and I can't imagine bugging out on foot

Where are you going to drive too?

traffic-jam.jpg

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I'm gonna sand bag the front porch, climb up on my deck that is suspiciously tall, sit there with my rifle, and watch the world burn.

And if you try to take one of my cows, your done and I'll scavenge your ammo.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Living on the coast, bugging out is a slightly more real proposition.

Basically if a storm is close, I'll send my wife and the kid to DFW. 2 days before Evacs are ordered. Realistically work will keep me here. So I have a drill, chainsaw, gloves a couple guns and a few clothes within 10 minutes of packing. An ice chest a little grill and an assortment of lanterns/flashlights and a tent too. Basically short of a cat 5. I'm hunkering down.

I figure no nothing I can last a couple weeks. Before I get sick of canned tuna, lol.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Where are you going to drive too?

traffic-jam.jpg

I don't live in a place that even remotely resembles that. That's not a problem for me. I've got 3 solid routes to my place, only one of them involves a state highway and none of them even come close to an interstate. And in 4 more months, I will live in a town of less than 2000 that's ten miles closer to my BOL.
    I'm getting further away from people every chance I get, they're crazy you know;)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom