Abilene in Dahouse!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by XDM1244, Sep 25, 2008.

1. XDM1244

XDM1244 New Member

I know Abilene is just about the most uncool city in Texas but I like it. The Air Force put me here in 1994 for 6 years then I was banished to the Kountry of Kalifornia for 4 years and then came back to Abilene in 2004. Repeat offender!

But I was born in Houston and Raised in Spring. Went from first grade to High School at Spring (Wunsche Middle School). Even grew up in North Hills right next to the High School. The pilot for the Goodyear blimp lived a few doors down and I got to ride it a few times. There is nothing there at all now. Not even the overpass that use to be there by the school.

I miss Spring (in about 1982). Now it is overgrown, over business'ed, and way too busy for my taste.

Say Hi to Kat at Carter's Country. She is a sweetheart.

Caveman_AF.gif

2. juwaba98

juwaba98 Well-Known

May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    Welcome aboard!

3. LittleGun

LittleGun Active Member

Jun 27, 2008
    Spring/Houston
    Welcome. Abilene can't be too uncool. It's got gun owners like you.

4. pawncop

pawncop Active Member

Aug 11, 2008
    TEXAS
    Welcome from another new member XDM1244.

5. jim t

jim t Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Hawley Texas
    hey, i am about 10 miles from you. I live in Hawley. it is a lot less of cool, but I like it just fine. My dad worked at the base for 27 years before he died so I know it well. welcome to the site.:happy0001:

6. propellerhead

propellerhead Active Member

Dyess AFB was my last duty station. Then I got out and worked for Boeing. Some of my work is on those B-1Bs that fly around. :)

Any good ranges out there? I wasn't into guns back then but would love to have a reason to visit old friends.

7. XDM1244

XDM1244 New Member

I am a regular at Abilene Indoor Gun Range. Mr James Hill and Josh always make me feel at home. Good conversation. Good selection of guns and usually a good western playing on the TV. I think the name of the street it is on is Rex Allen. The road is very close to the Monogramers T-shirt shop near the end of Treadaway.

Yea, I have been flying C-130's at Dyess for some time now. We tease the Bone guys a lot but I wouldn't want that job brother! They wear those guys out!

And thanks for all the "Welcome and come on in" invites. This seems like a really cool board. K

8. chevydeerhunter

chevydeerhunter Well-Known

Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    Welcome aboard!

When I'm at my lease, I can always count on seeing a stray B-1 or several C-130s roaming about.

9. CowDog

CowDog New Member

Sep 26, 2008
    South of Iowa Park
    Hi, XDM1244, I haven't been here long enough myself to properly welcome you, but I saw your comment on the Abilene Indoor Range, and concur 100%.....nice place nice people. It's on Judge Ely Blvd, if I recall correctly. Wish I could go there regularly. cd

10. jim t

jim t Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Hawley Texas
    there is an outdoor range out at the lake. it is Abiliene gun range. it is a very nice range and my son and I are membersit is set up for both rifle and pistols. it has a 25, 50 100 and 200 yard rifle range. and it has a gong at 250 yards. you will enjoy it very much.:happy0001: