• ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    So, who started the altercation, the dead guy or the shooters?
    Was it the dead guy that threw the mattress away, and the father and son started complaining about it while holding guns?
    If that's the case, then ruh roh......

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    So, who started the altercation, the dead guy or the shooters?
    Was it the dead guy that threw the mattress away, and the father and son started complaining about it while holding guns?
    If that's the case, then ruh roh......
    Dead guy had rage issues
    Multiple arrests
    Multiple threats to police, neighbors, mailman...
    I dont know who started THIS one but I would bet dead guy had been a terrible known problem for the shooters
    They probably had words in the past

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Dead guy had rage issues
    Multiple arrests
    I dont know who started THIS one but I would bet dead guy had been a terrible known problem for the shooters
    According to the cops, that's how it was. Several arguments over the previous few days that ended with howard being ended.

CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US
    Dead guy had rage issues
    Multiple arrests

And this combined with what's shown in the video is what makes the decision to prosecute completely wrong-headed at best, and at worst malicious, ignorant, disingenuous and a gross violation of ethics likely based on an utterly biased world view...In other words, prosecutorial abuse..

I mean, holy shit...The guy was just radiating "imminent and significant threat"; anyone in their right mind would have been in condition red throughout nearly that entire encounter even without any background on "orange shirt", and shots were fired only after being attacked (the level of restraint shown was actually rather impressive). Maybe they could have backed away, but that's often more difficult than one might think and still no guarantee it wouldn't itself have triggered an escalation in violent response.

Not to mention the guy was already at/near contact distance and in-motion; given the size/rage involved, possible that had Jr. not served up the gauge, anything short of a CNS hit by pops might not have been enough to prevent being beaten to death on the spot while waiting for orange shirt to bleed out...

The Right of self-defense is a direct corollary to those core Natural Rights which have been endowed by Man's Creator; this type of biased application of the law is antithetical to a civilized society and can create a perpetual cloud of trepidation (more like the sword of Damocles, but I digress) over law abiding citizens and firearms owners...

Perhaps the DA in this case may find value in educating themselves with regard to principles demonstrated by the Tueller Drill and then taking a good hard look in the mirror and trying to picture their own likely reactions in a similar situation while rethinking how best to proceed...Maybe think a bit about those natural rights and remember the old saying "play stupid games, win stupid prizes". But hey, what do I know...

Excerpt from an online article related to this topic: "A study conducted by the Force Science Research Center concluded that most trained individuals (their study used police officers) were at a severe disadvantage against edged-weapon attackers within a 21-foot perimeter"

Last edited:

Jack Ryan

Mr. Medium
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Eseldorf
    And this combined with what's shown in the video is what makes the decision to prosecute completely wrong-headed at best, and at worst malicious, ignorant, disingenuous and a gross violation of ethics likely based on an utterly biased world view...In other words, prosecutorial abuse..

I mean, holy shit...The guy was just radiating "imminent and significant threat"; anyone in their right mind would have been in condition red throughout nearly that entire encounter even without any background on "orange shirt", and shots were fired only after being attacked (the level of restraint shown was actually rather impressive). Maybe they could have backed away, but that's often more difficult than one might think and still no guarantee it wouldn't itself have triggered an escalation in violent response.

Not to mention the guy was already at/near contact distance and in-motion; given the size/rage involved, possible that had Jr. not served up the gauge, anything short of a CNS hit by pops might not have been enough to prevent being beaten to death on the spot while waiting for orange shirt to bleed out...

The Right of self-defense is a direct corollary to those core natural rights which have been endowed by Man's Creator; this type of biased application the law is antithetical to a civilized society and can create a perpetual cloud of trepidation (more like the sword of Damocles, but I digress) over law abiding citizens and firearms owners...

Perhapse the DA in this case may find value in educating themselves with regard to principles demonstrated by the Tueller Drill and then taking a good hard look in the mirror and trying to picture their own likely reactions in a similar situation while rethinking how best to proceed...Maybe think a bit about those natural rights and remember the old saying "play stupid games, win stupid prizes". But hey, what do I know...

Excerpt from an online article related to this topic: "A study conducted by the Force Science Research Center concluded that most trained individuals (their study used police officers) were at a severe disadvantage against edged-weapon attackers within a 21-foot perimeter"

Even if you do back away, you may not be so lucky as to be aware or have the means of defense next time you bump in to this giant loud mouth threat. More I read here, the more I'm glad the POS is dead. If the cops were truly going to "deal with it", they would have already and this would all be another theoretical waste of breath. Way I see it, he ask for it. They gave it to him. Case closed.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX

The Right of self-defense is a direct corollary to those core Natural Rights which have been endowed by Man's Creator; this type of biased application of the law is antithetical to a civilized society and can create a perpetual cloud of trepidation (more like the sword of Damocles, but I digress) over law abiding citizens and firearms owners...

Perhaps the DA in this case may find value in educating themselves with regard to principles demonstrated by the Tueller Drill and then taking a good hard look in the mirror and trying to picture their own likely reactions in a similar situation while rethinking how best to proceed...Maybe think a bit about those natural rights and remember the old saying "play stupid games, win stupid prizes". But hey, what do I know...

It gets better. Apparently the father and son were re-arrested yesterday. The DA sought and was granted a motion for insufficiency of bond, apparently to "to address the Department and public’s concern based upon the following information". I am not in the area, but I hadn't heard of any public concern over them.

“Detective Jordan Brown reviewed this video. He believes it is apparent from the video, combined with the interviews of the Millers, that they were tired of their neighbor, Aaron Howard, acting out and yelling and threatening them verbally. They brought out firearms during this argument and both Millers stood in the alley as Aaron Howard got more and more upset. As soon as he raised the bat while approximately 7 or more feet away from John, John shot him,” Standridge said in the news release.

From what I saw in the video, Howard was much closer than seven feet, and rapidly approaching.

https://www.reporternews.com/story/...al-video-shooting-man-alley-trash/1383106002/

Maybe there are other facts that make it a different situation than what is apparent from the video alone. For the sake of the DA's career, I sure hope so.

And yes, I agree about disengaging. Even backing away is escalatory to someone in that kind of state. And there's always significant chance that you'll trip over something and they will use that opening to attack you. I have a hard time assigning much blame to the millers based on what is in the video alone.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Edit: I’m not gonna comment anymore about this thread. I can’t defend anyone in this video. It’s four white trash morons. The guy who got shot seemed out of his mind and the kid with the shotgun was making the situation worse by taking part in gestures and name calling. Hell with everyone in that video.

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    What we do see is after the pistol is discharged the guy with the shotgun decides to discharge. If We can’t determine if the attacker stopped, or if it’s thought he did after being shot the first time that’s bad news. That guy with the shotgun is gonna be in deep shit and seen as finishing the job.
    On this point (and narrowly on this point alone) I disagree. The angle of the shotgun was level. That means that orange shirt guy was standing.

Once the shooting has started, I think it's almost always the case that a reasonable argument can be made that the threat is not resolved until the bad guy is on the ground. If he's still standing, I think reasonable doubt exists that the fellow with the shotgun was murderously finishing the job.

Sock Puppet

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2015
    Isn't what the father and son were doing considered brandishing? For handguns, my understanding was that it should stay tucked away until I was ready to use it. Then, it should only clear the holster just prior to my booger hook pressing the bang switch.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    On this point (and narrowly on this point alone) I disagree. The angle of the shotgun was level. That means that orange shirt guy was standing.
    Very good point. He may have also stopped without going to the ground. My post was mostly to play devils advocate. These guys made poor choices. Not one person in that video seemed above the line.

Top Bottom