• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • justashooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    Where is the money going to come from? Or what are you willing to live without? Look at taxes a necessity you cannot evaluate property taxes as one element holistically. Yes our property taxes are a little higher than most states, but we do not have a state income tax. If you compare Texas holistically (income, property, sales, etc) Texas taxes are less than most states.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Just gonna mention it since I e seen several posts bringing up only property owners paying property tax.

No land owner will rent property without factoring the tax in to the price of rent, unless they are stupid. Renters pay property tax same as everyone else. Problem is that many don’t realize the effect it has on their rent so they vote for stupid and expensive bonds for stupid and expensive projects.

Would be nice if everyone with a rental property included something in the lease stating how much of the rent was added in order to cover taxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    High taxes are merely the manifestation of profligate spending. The type of tax does NOT change the real problem!

The worst thing that can happen is to have any of the current VISIBLE taxes replaced with consumption or value added taxes, since they get buried in the “cost” of the items and thus become invisible and no longer the subject of complaints of the screwed electorate. (Nirvana for the career politicians.j
    Yep, no value added taxes. Thats what those dopes in the EU allowed to happen. Product prices skyrocket. Mismanagement is the real problem. Look at the corruption that happened in the DISD.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I dont mind property taxes since we have no state income tax, however it’d be nice if they’d cap it at 1-2% in total. We’re paying close to $4500 on a house that is only worth $135k.

I was paying close to 10% in state income tax (back in CA).
    I'd in many ways be very OK with taxes being shifter away from arbitrary property value and moved to sales and income taxes.

Because as was pointed out earlier, my property is only valued at what it last sold for. And they may not be able to raise the tax rate, but an appraiser can "value" your property to make you pay more. It's like taxing unrealized capitol gains.

I do think the more important conversation is what spending to cut. I am all for a bare bones government with super low taxes.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    No income tax. They need to cut the waste and we need to pay attention to it. They waste our money and then we have to pay their asses for wasting it.

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    I'd in many ways be very OK with taxes being shifter away from arbitrary property value and moved to sales and income taxes.

Because as was pointed out earlier, my property is only valued at what it last sold for. And they may not be able to raise the tax rate, but an appraiser can "value" your property to make you pay more. It's like taxing unrealized capitol gains.

I do think the more important conversation is what spending to cut. I am all for a bare bones government with super low taxes.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk
    govt that governs least governs best

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I pay more in property tax than I payed in property tax and income taxes in AZ.

The way school districts are funded here are almost organized crime. Dont believe me tour some of these school districts new schools and remember most have owned and mostly paid for the property years ago.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    As someone pointed out earlier (TJ?), the COMPLETE tax burden in Texas is still one of the lowest in the country. That is what one must examine. Tax is tax. Does not matter what form it takes.

No new taxes, as the old will somehow never quite be discontinued.

I agree with this. We need to look at the overall picture taking into account everything.

I personally don't want an income tax. I do think there should be relief for retired folks on smaller incomes to be able to stay in their homes. There might be already, I don't know because I"m way far away from that point. :)

That said, property taxes still need reform. I think it's a bit absurd that the ISDs are allowed to be their own taxing entity. Teachers continuously say they need better wages. Considering the amount of money the districts collect, where does it go?

The government school system in this state needs a massive overhaul for a variety of reasons.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Got a card in the mail from Don Huffines. He claimed he would get rid of property tax. Said it was too complicated to put on the card but to look at his campaign website. Here is what he says about eliminating property tax... What in the state's budget would he whack to pay for schools and our emergency service district (read local VFD) etc. While it would be wonderful to stop paying the county for services, this sounds a bit like smoke and mirrors as he wants the state to pick up the tab and where does this money come from? Better budget management? RIght.

quote....................
    Texans deserve to own their homes truly. Our state has some of the highest property taxes in the nation. Skyrocketing property taxes prevent hardworking families from true homeownership by forcing them to pay ever-increasing payments, much like rent, to the government.

The key to property tax elimination is strong leadership—and that leadership starts at the top. Texas needs a governor who wants to provide property tax relief and who will step up to lead the legislature.

It’s time to provide Texans with relief from skyrocketing property taxes. We can phase out the property tax system entirely.

All Texans will get to vote on a constitutional amendment that I will task the legislature to deliver. This amendment will ensure that no reversal can take place after your property taxes start going down. It could be eliminated in as little as 10 years.

Principles that will lead to property tax elimination are below:

• Phase-out the property tax system entirely
    • Allow Texans to vote on a constitutional amendment that puts property taxes on a path to zero
    • Place a stronger cap on state spending and then prioritize our budget to guarantee that public schools are fully fundedas school property taxes are phased out
    • End the largest portion of property taxes, the public school portion, before the end of my time as governor
    • Implement cuts to wasteful programs that don’t serve Texans
    • Ensure that consumption tax swaps are slow and gradual as property taxes fall significantly. Income taxes are off the table
    We have the most creative and innovative minds in Texas. We have the solutions to get the job done and provide relief for hard-working citizens.

Texans deserve real leadership, and they need it now. People are literally being taxed out of their homes. It’s unacceptable that Texans can spend decades doing the right thing, paying off their mortgage, only to lose their home due to skyrocketing property taxes.

The government doesn’t own your home—you do!

Sounds like the far left, promising everything will be free.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I agree with this. We need to look at the overall picture taking into account everything.

I personally don't want an income tax. I do think there should be relief for retired folks on smaller incomes to be able to stay in their homes. There might be already, I don't know because I"m way far away from that point. :)

That said, property taxes still need reform. I think it's a bit absurd that the ISDs are allowed to be their own taxing entity. Teachers continuously say they need better wages. Considering the amount of money the districts collect, where does it go?

The government school system in this state needs a massive overhaul for a variety of reasons.
    Perhaps it just needs for citizens to attend school board meetings and ask questions. And vote in reform minded school board candidates.

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW

There is a lot of mismanagement and corruption in school districts.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I can’t think of any instance in my life where folks have been able to vote in people who actually shrink whatever bureaucracy they oversee
    I have seen it at the school board level. Some at county level. Above that, you are right.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    There is a lot of mismanagement and corruption in school districts.

And there are a lot of school districts that do an excellent job managing their budgets.

I was on a NISD citizens bond committee back in 2007, and was impressed with all the information we had at our disposal. They basically opened their books to us, and we got answers to all our questions.

We recommended a $692.67 million bond which passed during the vote. It remains the second largest bond in NISD history, only being surpassed in 2018 (a $848.91 million bond).

Only two NISD bonds have failed since 1949 (1957 and 1992).

Northside ISD Voters have passed almost $2.5 billion in bond construction programs since 1995.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    We recommended a $692.67 million bond which passed during the vote. It remains the second largest bond in NISD history, only being surpassed in 2018 (a $848.91 million bond).

Northside ISD Voters have passed almost $2.5 billion in bond construction programs since 1995.

Folks want billions for schools, but then balk when it is time to pay for it.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    And there are a lot of school districts that do an excellent job managing their budgets.

Do teachers in these districts also feel they are underpaid do you think? I seem to see this line of thought across districts and think I have only seen one teacher in the dozens and dozens I know say they are happy with what they make.

And that is why property taxes are the way they are.

Top Bottom