• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Yep, hand up. I'm one of them. What's the hurry? Speeding is a habit not a need. If you're late you should have started earlier. Simple.

Two lanes I'm in the right lane, 3 lanes I'm in the middle, 4 or more I'm in the 2nd lane from outside. Normal driving I go the speed limit +/- conditions. Pulling my RV, 63-64. It's not my fault you're late.

Tailgating: Sore point, as previously stated, "Don't like the gear I'm in, you damn sure won't like the next one". It causes too many wrecks.
    Simple: Courtesy.
    If you can't be courteous, don't expect others to be.

What's the harm in letting someone who wants to travel faster than you go merrily on their way?

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    There's a long, mostly straight stretch of Aldine Westfield that is a 4 lane divided boulevard, with a 30mph limit. Birnham Woods is a similar road, but has a higher speed limit. Why?
    Typically it involves number of access points. How many driveways or side streets intersect with the primary road.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    For those of you who want others to drive within "the rules", here's how you can help with that: Harris County Sheriff's office recruitment

To answer your question, yes - and it's pretty much always been whenever possible. The 610 Speedway it used to be called. The Beltway 8 race track. Ben speaks of 99, I take that way home every workday, and whenever possible the prevailing speed of the left lane column (barring any human pieces of garbage) is between 90 and 100 mph.

Youngun, I'll toss you a question. Do you honestly believe speed limit signs exist for safety reasons?

Generally yes, I believe that is the intention of current speed limits. With certain exception for simplicity.

People who try to "influence" others' driving while behind the wheel of their own vehicle, not only are they hypocrites (let me guess, you don't want people telling you how many and what type of guns you can own right?) they are directly or indirectly responsible for a multitude of traffic issues. Think of traffic flow like water flow. If you introduce a restriction, the entire system feels it. If you slow even ONE person down, that causes a "pressure wave" to move backward through the column of traffic, and it gets worse as it moves. You slow down, the car behind you brakes, the car behind them brakes, each time adding more distance with each braking event becoming more sudden and powerful. Have you ever been cruising along and wondered why freeway traffic slows suddenly, even coming to a complete stop, yet when you get moving again there's no signs of why? It's people like you who interrupted the laminar flow of traffic. You're the asshole. You screwed up traffic for everyone, congratulations.

I tend to agree with your thinking here also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Then the 1970's are calling you back, because the 55mph limit was set for fuel consumption reasons.

Speed limits are actually set with a number of factors considered...

I understand all of that but thanks.

My point is that the speed limit keeps the lowest common denominator from being dumber than normal behind the wheel.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    The old screen play. When two or three cars drive side by side at the speed limit. Or any speed.
    One time driving west on I-10 two tractor trailers drove side by side at the posted speed limit for miles. No one could pass, I was the first car behind the truck in the left lane, when he finally moved over and we passed him we saw a big smile on his face.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    You can skip the lecture because I understand all of that.

My point is that the speed limit keeps the lowest common denominator from being dumber than normal behind the wheel.

It tries to keep the lower common denominator from being dumber. Problem is the lower common denominator doesn't know that he/she is. How do you fix that?

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    It tries to keep the lower common denominator from being dumber. Problem is the lower common denominator doesn't know that he/she is. How do you fix that?
    Hell... I thought that was the sole purpose of tailgate'n! Edu'ma'kation!

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Mexican road block
    I thought it was a Louisiana road block. There were several times back when the speed limit was 55 (in the 1970s or 1980s, iirc) that LE in LA decided to start a rolling road block on I-10 eastbound. The idea was to slow down those crazy Texans. They'd line up side by side and drive 55 mph all the way to from the Texas border to Mississippi. The backups stretched for miles and even made the national news a time or two.

Y'know, maybe sometimes a little road rage is actually justified... :)

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    I thought it was a Louisiana road block. There were several times back when the speed limit was 55 (in the 1970s or 1980s, iirc) that LE in LA decided to start a rolling road block on I-10 eastbound. The idea was to slow down those crazy Texans. They'd line up side by side and drive 55 mph all the way to from the Texas border to Mississippi. The backups stretched for miles and even made the national news a time or two.

Y'know, maybe sometimes a little road rage is actually justified... :)
    I remember that! Grrrrrr....

Top Bottom