• ...and so much more!
  • oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    1597444001386.png

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Heh that's my standard figure for having our truck fixed. Just had the evaporator done. It was...a little more.
    I usually try to guess what auto repairs are going to be before I take it to the shop. First I estimate what it should be with parts and labor. Then I double that. Comes out pretty close most of the time.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    I usually try to guess what auto repairs are going to be before I take it to the shop. First I estimate what it should be with parts and labor. Then I double that. Comes out pretty close most of the time.
    Just add tax and you’re there!

Tamlibtoim

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2016
    Texas (Bay Area)
    Can’t speak for automotive A/C because I dont work on them. What I can tell you from 20+ years of residential and commercial AC work, stop leak is not a seal conditioner. it reacts with the air & moisture which are normally not in a closed loop system such as your A/C. As it leaks out it crystallizes and plugs the hole. Temporary fix for the most part but might buy you some time.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Is it still cooling? Any system will show some aggressive or residual bubbling just after filling at the valves. R-134a boils at minus 15 F. The highside rubber coated ball valves are notorious for leaking.

Its true that a pressurized system never exposed to atmosphere does not need to be deep vac'd but it aids in refilling and extends the life or your accumulator/drier. Some other hard to find leaks also occur at compressor case halves and front seals.

Also worth looking over the condenser, they can get randomly victimized by road debris or age.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Is it still cooling?

Also worth looking over the condenser, they can get randomly victimized by road debris or age.
    It's only been 10 days since I added the stop leak and recharged the system, but as of yesterday, it was still cooling like a champ. The condenser looks to be in good condition, free of bugs and debris once I hosed it off. All the main components of the AC system were replaced 7 years ago. Compressor, dryer, condenser, evaporator. Okay, not sure about the evaporator, have to check my records.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    It's only been 10 days since I added the stop leak and recharged the system, but as of yesterday, it was still cooling like a champ. The condenser looks to be in good condition, free of bugs and debris once I hosed it off. All the main components of the AC system were replaced 7 years ago. Compressor, dryer, condenser, evaporator. Okay, not sure about the evaporator, have to check my records.
    Good news.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Is it still cooling? Any system will show some aggressive or residual bubbling just after filling at the valves. R-134a boils at minus 15 F. The highside rubber coated ball valves are notorious for leaking.

Its true that a pressurized system never exposed to atmosphere does not need to be deep vac'd but it aids in refilling and extends the life or your accumulator/drier. Some other hard to find leaks also occur at compressor case halves and front seals.

Many years ago, my Ford Ranger had a compressor shaft seal leak. Very difficult to find. I knew the system had a leak, and I could pull a vacuum on the system and let it sit all day long and never drop any vacuum. Even putting leak detector wouldn't reveal the leak. Recharge the system and the leak would happen when the compressor was turning! Ended up just replacing the compressor.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Friend of mine took this picture. A google search shows it's pretty common at Toyota dealerships, too. The marketing says it's "designed to provide colder air, faster cooling, lower system load or power draw, and lower fuel consumption based on a more efficient A/C system " and "is not an oil or refrigerant"... So then it doesn't belong in your a/c :laughing:

It might be a surfactant, which could help an old a/c system where the oils have polymerized, but in a new system a surfactant is just going to make the oil less effective. Amazing that dealerships push this garbage.

118251420_10207509844181935_5609798763909902653_n.jpg

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I avoid dealers at all cost. The last time I was at a dealership for repairs, they wanted $1100 to replace a leaking oil pan gasket.
    Took it to an independent mechanic and he sprayed some black stuff on the leak and it hasn't leaked since. I know that was 15 years ago at least. I think he charged me 2 bucks.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    There is a website that will give you estimated repair costs for about any job. It's based on your area and fairly accurate from what I could tell. Free anyway.

Top Bottom