• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GasGuzzler

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2018
    Cooke County, TX
    One caliber I failed to stock up on. What is the approximate price per round to roll your own?

At the prices I can because I stocked up it would cost $0.02 for powder, $0.03 per primer, I get lead free so add a subsidized cost for the mold, pot to melt, and electricity, press, and dies. $0.08 per round sounds about right. At today's prices it would cost about $0.15-0.18 per round.

You were able to buy WWB 9mm for $8.50 a box 2 years ago?

I bought Blazer Brass more than once in 50's for less than $9.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I bought Blazer Brass more than once in 50's for less than $9.
    I can remember when Academy put the regular aluminum-cased Blazer on sale for $3.75/box of 50 on a regular basis, like at least once a month. I used to swing by and grab a case every time. My supply of that stuff is almost gone.

My recollection, though, is just a nostalgic memory; we'll never see those days again.

GasGuzzler

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2018
    Cooke County, TX
    My comment was regarding experience from not long ago. In the last ten years the price of 9X19 has spiked to the same level as recently and all three times over a decade it has returned to $0.18 per round or less. Why is it different this time?

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    All the common ammo, 9mm 45 ACP, .223/5.56 etc. is pretty much exactly double what it was pre-covid. 300 Blackout too. .22 LR seems to have tripled in price from .6¢ pr to around 20¢.

I'm no conspiracy theorist, but I'm starting to think there is some kind of deep state conspiracy involved here to stem the increased sales of firearms and reduce stockpiling. I wonder if the DOD and the other federal depts are paying 60¢ a round for 5.56.

ATN2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2022
    Texas
    All the common ammo, 9mm 45 ACP, .223/5.56 etc. is pretty much exactly double what it was pre-covid. 300 Blackout too. .22 LR seems to have tripled in price from .6¢ pr to around 20¢.

I'm no conspiracy theorist, but I'm starting to think there is some kind of deep state conspiracy involved here to stem the increased sales of firearms and reduce stockpiling. I wonder if the DOD and the other federal depts are paying 60¢ a round for 5.56.
    I get 22lr for 6 cents a round

Academy frequently has 22lr for 7 or 8 cents a round

sorry...corrected

Last edited:

GasGuzzler

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2018
    Cooke County, TX
    I was in Academy in Sherman yesterday and they basically had the shelves full on the whole aisle. Another shopper saw me looking and said "Looks a lot better, huh?". I replied: "No, it looks terrible. Look at the prices!".

I turned around and walked away. People like to predict prices staying high but going from no inventory to fully stocked in a few weeks tells me the retailers will have to make adjustments to pricing just like they did when the "shortage" started.

.22 LR seems to have tripled in price from .6¢ pr to around 20¢.
    I have never seen 22LR that high across the board. Sure, someone out there is always asking too much. My Walmart as CCI Minimags for $0.08 and Federal AutoMatch 325 packs for even less per round. Academy had CCI 22 shorts and dozens of other rimfire for decent-ish pricing.

It was the center-fire ammo that sucked price-wise. Monarch steel case 7.62X39 for $8.99 per 20? Winchester white box 9X19 for $40 per hundred? Bras case 5.56X45 for $14.99 per 20? No thanks.

Top Bottom