• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Is it SOO wrong to just buy the ammo you plan on shooting right before you go to the range? That's barely even possible now. Not everyone wants to stock up on SHTF every time they go to the store. It's ridiculous. I wish Academy was on the way to the range....

I think it's a luxury to be able to buy things at will. When the luxury is removed it requires planning and ambition. Complaining about it doesn't solve anything in all honesty. It's fun, but it doesn't put ammo on the shelf.
    Guns International

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    I am seeing that here in the DFW area.
    I glad to see it too.
    Just ticks you off when the guy in front of you buys everything and leaves nothing for anyone else. :mad:

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Is it SOO wrong to just buy the ammo you plan on shooting right before you go to the range? That's barely even possible now. Not everyone wants to stock up on SHTF every time they go to the store. It's ridiculous. I wish Academy was on the way to the range....

No it is not. But when you first heard that people were "panic" buying, why didn't you pick up a box everytime you passed an Academy, Wallyworld, or other retail outlet that sells ammo?

I was still easily finding 2-3,000 rounds at a time at a single Academy as late as February. I saw where it was going in August and started buying as much as I could afford every paycheck THEN.

If you put a minimal amount of effort into it you can find the ammo you need. Quit expecting others to do it for you.

je2000

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    So why are people STILL panic buying? Why is cheaper than dirt gouging sooo bad still?

If SHTF I can see it now..."Will trade ammo for food!"

hk boy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    walmart in mansfield had 9mm ammo last night--2 box limit
    100 count wwb is still $19.99 and blazer brass is $8.95 for 50 count
    walmart is NOT gouging their customers!!
    i don't care how people make fun of wallyworld--they got my business

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    No it is not. But when you first heard that people were "panic" buying, why didn't you pick up a box everytime you passed an Academy, Wallyworld, or other retail outlet that sells ammo?

I was still easily finding 2-3,000 rounds at a time at a single Academy as late as February. I saw where it was going in August and started buying as much as I could afford every paycheck THEN.

If you put a minimal amount of effort into it you can find the ammo you need. Quit expecting others to do it for you.

thus i have 12 .50cal ammo cans of 9mm and .45

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    So why are people STILL panic buying? Why is cheaper than dirt gouging sooo bad still?

If SHTF I can see it now..."Will trade ammo for food!"

CTD can ask anything they want for anything they sell. They aren't gouging anyone that doesn't want to buy.

Gouging is usually a cover word used by those that really want a fixed price system when it works in their favor.

We still live in in a free market society. I'm kind of partial to it although I may not like market changes that effect prices on some things. I didn't like it at all last year pulling up and paying $400 to fill a truck with diesel and a boat with premium fuel. I never called it gouging and whined about it. Ok, I whined but didn't complain about a free market.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    thus i have 12 .50cal ammo cans of 9mm and .45

Good on you for being prepared.

I will ask this to the board members who di dnot prepare.

Do you wait until you are hungry to buy food? How about do you wait until you have a sudden urge to dump a load before you buy toilet paper?

The answer to both questions is probably no, but one day in your lifetimes you will probably see shortages of both{ as well as more ammo shortages}

You came in too late to easily find it but it is not too late to start, you just have to work harder at it not. Now stop crying about it and go find some ammo.

je2000

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    CTD can ask anything they want for anything they sell. They aren't gouging anyone that doesn't want to buy.

Gouging is usually a cover word used by those that really want a fixed price system when it works in their favor.

We still live in in a free market society. I'm kind of partial to it although I may not like market changes that effect prices on some things. I didn't like it at all last year pulling up and paying $400 to fill a truck with diesel and a boat with premium fuel. I never called it gouging and whined about it. Ok, I whined but didn't complain about a free market.

The gas last year was a little different than the ammo gouging CTD is doing.

CTD is free to do what they want, they won't be seeing any of my cash!

je2000

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Good on you for being prepared.

I will ask this to the board members who di dnot prepare.

Do you wait until you are hungry to buy food? How about do you wait until you have a sudden urge to dump a load before you buy toilet paper?

The answer to both questions is probably no, but one day in your lifetimes you will probably see shortages of both{ as well as more ammo shortages}

You came in too late to easily find it but it is not too late to start, you just have to work harder at it not. Now stop crying about it and go find some ammo.

I just started shooting a few months ago, so there wasn't much I could do to prepare. I buy when I can.

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    I just started shooting a few months ago, so there wasn't much I could do to prepare. I buy when I can.

I'm in the same boat as you, just bought my guns and ammo for the first time last month. Although I did buy what IMHO is quite a bit after shopping around for the best prices (w/shipping included) that I could find. I intend to get some more each chance I get. Heck with 10,000 .22lr on the way I still bought an additional 2200 at wally world. Just wish they'd get in some .40

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    I was at Cabelas the other day, and the poor guy stocking the ammo shelves was just about trampled as people came rushing over to get the ammo faster than he could get it out of the boxes. It's terrible to see that crap, I know people like to shoot, but come on at least give the store clerks time to stock the shelves before you go hoarding all the ammo.

I'm thinking about getting a .45-70 rifle now, cause the other day at Cabelas I could have got 8 cases of ammo for it for $185/case for 200 rounds a case.

Reacher

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2008
    Grand Prairie, TX
    The day I got my M&P40, I told the guy helping me that I wanted the 2 100ct boxes of ammo that he had on the shelf. He was a slow fella and while doing my paperwork, another guy walked up and told the other clerk that he wanted them so she grabbed them and handed them to him. As he started to walk off, I told him that I was going to get those, but my clerk didn't grab them in time asked if he would split them with me. He said "No, I've been looking all over for these." to which I replied thanks a lot! I was pretty mad at his unwillingness to share what should have been mine and also mad at the clerk for not pulling them off the shelf in the first place. Lucky for me, they were only putting two boxes on the shelf at a time so there were able to pull two more out of backstock and sell them to me. Whew! They said the same reason as stated in previous posts about people buying their entire stock out.

I was at a Wal-Mart up in Irving and they had 10 boxes of 100ct .40 and had a sign up on the ammo case saying "Limit of 2 boxes per customer". I bought two and thought about going back a little later in the day to get two more.

I understand there is tremendous demand right now but what I don't understand is why manufacturers aren't stepping up production and taking advantage of the situation.

Major Woody

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2008
    Went into McBrides today and he was opening a case of Varget, [Woo Hoo], but he limits you to two lbs per same kind which is fair. At least I found some. No bullets in .45 though. Just 55 gr .223's and 110gr .308's.

MikeN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Allen (Dallas), TX
    Well... Academy didn't limit any of us this morning. 3 of us were waiting to get in just before 9 and all headed to the Ammo. I picked up 8 boxes, and the others got about 10-12 or so.

I know they "can" limit... but guess it depends on the employee back there.

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.

+1.... I get that feeling when I call ahead to see if they got a shipment of ammo in. I usually get a "no not today" then when I stop by, there will be some new boxes on the shelf that weren't there the day before. So I've had to change my tactics. I don't call anymore, I just show up. If they have what I'm looking for (or something one of my friends or family members is looking for) I'll get it. If not, no big deal I'll try again later.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    Well... Academy didn't limit any of us this morning. 3 of us were waiting to get in just before 9 and all headed to the Ammo. I picked up 8 boxes, and the others got about 10-12 or so.

:banghead: Walked in to local Academy this morning and noticed they had several boxes of Monarch 115 gr FMJ on shelf. Then I got distracted by 2 new Colt Lightweights in their gun cabinet. Looked up just in time to see all 12 boxes being handed to another customer. :banghead: Also noticed several stacks of this ammo back behind the counter with paper wrapped around. When I asked if they were for sale.........I was told these were being held for customers to come and pick-up. Odd in that when I asked if they could call me when a new ammo shipment came in I was told no that if they started that........it would turn into a full time job. I understood their concerns but now wonder how you get into the elite status club so they hold ammo for you?

Okie 556

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Thaskinny1
    Top Bottom