• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    I don't know, and maybe it's just me, but I can't imagine just standing by while children are being slaughtered.
    I remember a female DPS trooper who was recorded with her own body worn camera saying she wouldn't go into the school to face the shooter. Her reason was that her own kids weren't inside the school so she wasn't going anywhere inside.

She quit DPS after the school shooting and go hired by Uvalde ISD as a school police officer. She only got fired after the community outrage but the school district had no problem hiring her in the first place.

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    I'm still surprised that some of the parents didn't arm up and proceed anyway....and take care of any resistance along the way.
    They tried...

'They were just angry, especially the dads. We were wondering, "What the heck is going on? Are they going in?" 'The dads were saying, "Give me the vest, I’ll go in there!'

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Heartbreaking for sure.

He literally says “we don’t know where in the timeline this fits”

Still not sure how the parents outside knew whether the shooter was dead or not. From the report, comms were so bad not even those cops outside knew what was going on inside.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....

jjkukla

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Richwood
    As a parent with children in TX public schools myself, I completely understand wanting to go in and do something, especially while 5-0 sat around doing nothing. I would have wanted to as well.
    But after thinking about this quite a bit, consider this. Let's say parents were allowed (or forced their way) in. Who's to say that they wouldn't inadvertently shoot innocents while attempting to engage the hostile? Can you imagine the backlash?!
    IMO, the "best" (meaning without major legal repercussions) way to execute a parental rescue would have been to arm them with non-lethals and shields. Let them beat the bad guy into submission. Or death.

Still praying for all these families and their community.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    But after thinking about this quite a bit, consider this. Let's say parents were allowed (or forced their way) in. Who's to say that they wouldn't inadvertently shoot innocents while attempting to engage the hostile? Can you imagine the backlash?!
    IMO, the "best" (meaning without major legal repercussions) way to execute a parental rescue would have been to arm them with non-lethals and shields. Let them beat the bad guy into submission. Or death.
    That's much the same argument that many people use against people carrying firearms in public. It was much what I heard before they passed campus carry on colleges. Are there people that could be dangerous to others? Sure. Same with cars.

The problem is, the public schools are soft targets. Throw in an ineffective police force and it's a recipe for disaster.

How many mass shootings do you hear about in Texas at colleges since campus carry went into effect? They didn't put walls and moats around them.

roadkill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    M
    The ones that do worry me. The ones who are willing to if called on are the ones we need.
    when I say killer I’m talking about a cop who will show up. Assess the situation then set out to find and kill the shooter. Instead we have a system that wants and seeks out diversity hires and officer friendlies. We don’t need the overweight out of shape cop with a few years till retirement taking the position of SRO. we need the younger cop with a few years experience filling that roll. Also we don’t need the 100lb female on the streets dealing with thugs. Sorry but if they’re not built for the job (physically and mentally) they really have no business wearing that badge. Psychopaths we don‘t need, but a killer isn’t necessarily one either. There’s a difference.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    The problem is, the public schools are soft targets. Throw in an ineffective police force and it's a recipe for disaster. Yup. And staff isn't alert for problems. Release some wet-eyed adrenaline crazed armed parent? Nope. Why they didn't use CS or flashbang plus sniper amazed me.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    in·ad·vert·ent·ly
    [ˌinədˈvərtn(t)lē]

ADVERB

1. without intention; accidentally.

Seriously, the police generally suck at marksmanship. Letting emotionally driven citizens drive an assault would be an epic shit show.

Considering the quality of some police responses, it doesn't see like the citizens could do worse. And as Easy Rider said, "what if they inadvertently shoot the wrong person" is the exact argument anti-gunners used to oppose concealed carry, open carry, campus carry...

"What if someone fucks up" isn't a valid argument against saving lives.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Considering the quality of some police responses, it doesn't see like the citizens could do worse.

Well it certainly would have been over a lot sooner.

I think 2-3 gun folks could have done better. But dozens of Fudds running to the school would have been the shit show.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Dozens of anyone responding to one shooter would be a shitshow.

If it gets to more than 10, it is already a shit show.

One officer solved Allen Outlet Mall. A second or third were only a few seconds away. Would have been over sooner but officer 1 was on far side of and had to chase down shooter.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    My biggest beef is with them restraining parents who were willing to make the assault.
    Agree. They were talking about criminal charges against some of the responding officers. My first thought: if they can positively ID any that arrested the desperate parents trying to get to THEIR OWN KIDS, yeah, do that.
    After that, sue the district for not arming their teachers. Or even locking the doors.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    How did they know an assault was needed?

By the time parents showed up, no shots were being fired so from their perspective it was over. Until BORTAC fired a few shots an hr later and it was over.

Mr BORTAC was on scene in the hallway at 1221 when four shots were fired in the classroom and assembled a(nother) ad hoc entry team, and decided not to attempt an entry. The report states Mr BORTAC assumed the door to 111 and 112 was locked, without ever checking.

Mr BORTAC’s actions (he was a unit commander, no longer a doorkicker) from arrival until 1221 were all about trying to find out who was in charge of the tactical response so he could establish the chain of command…that’s ICS/NIMS in action.

I don’t want to criticize him much, but active shooter guidance says go. He got led by the Ranger lead and other LEOs into believing the suspect was a barricaded suspect and I think his mindset was wait for all his assets to get there so a a team could do it’s deal.

This mindset is reinforced by his decision to deploy a DPS drone to shortly after 1235 to see about collecting visual intelligence on the rooms, then putting/wanting to put a BORTAC sniper on the roof of an adjacent building for overwatch or engagement, and finally, fucking around with the door to 111/1112 for a full minute opening it, only to for it to self close, trying to prop it open, and finally just having somebody hold it open so the entry team could get into the classroom. All of this with no shots being fired; the suspect apparently was hiding in a closet in the classroom.

It was not until after the entire ad hoc team entered that the suspect exited the closet and shot at least once before someone smoked him.

The report did a good job of both slamming everyone on scene for not treating the scene as an active shooter while also going to great lengths to document why *most* of the LEOs that arrived after 1150 thought this was not an active shooters incident. Effectively, DOJ talked out of both sides of their mouth in that aspect.

But make no bones about it, the UPD LT and Mr BORTAC knew in their guts what needed to be done, tried to do it, but convinced themselves it couldn’t be done because a door was shut.

Top Bottom