Advice/input/info. for AR gas piston system?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shooter McGavin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Free Texas
    I posted this in the gun smithing section but haven't recieved any replies, with more traffic here I'm hoping someone can offer some insight.
    I'm starting another AR build and I'm gonna go with a piston system this round. From the research I've done thus far it would appear as though Adam Arms has the more recommended piston set up. I will be purchasing the barrel, upper receiver, and piston system all separately so I'll be starting with a clean slate. However I'm curious if anybody has already been down this road and can offer any advice.
    Would anyone recommend another company over Adam Arms for the piston system?
    Mainly I'm uncertain on whether to go with carbine or a mid-length piston set up on the "16 barrel or if it makes two chits either way?
    My second concern is the quality of the kits BCG, I can modify a BCG of my choosing to work with the system or purchase their BCG with the kit. I'm not sure on how the quality is compared to say Bravo Company, Daniel Defense, or Colt.
    Also, would anyone suggest upgrading to a heavier buffer to counter the additional mass of the piston?
    And finally, I'd really like to run a lite weight, slick, free-float tube but from what I've read the gas block creates a clearence issue with your average for end, so any recommendations with that would be nice.
    Sure do appreciate any input, thank ya much!

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Rock River Arms sells a pistol with the piston driven system. What's the viability of building a pistol with a piston system and at a later date acquiring a stamp for an SBR to allow one to use a folding stock?

Shooter McGavin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Free Texas
    Wasn't really considering going in that direction with it, as of yet anyways. I got in on a lower group buy and just wanted to try out the piston system on one of the builds to see how I like it. I may venture into your suggestion for one of the next builds however. Thanks!

Rangerscott

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    Lubbock
    I have their 5.45 upper and it only comes in carbine lentgh. Would like to shoot a mid length from hearing how they shoot smoother than carbine length.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I have assembled an AR with the Adams Arms kit, their customer service was good when a problem arose. The next one though, especially if it's a refit, will probably be a Bushmaster kit. Either way I would use the BCG designed for that kit, and not try to make something else work. Lot of the new piston BCGs are designed with anti-tilt features, unlike modified regular carriers.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I don't trust the ones that use modified carriers. Hello, carrier tilt. Ghetto-ass crap.

Unless you're shooting lots with a rifle that's suppressed, with a super short barrel and throwing in a good amount of full auto, the "piston guns" (a term I hate because a standard AR has a piston) are a solution for a non-existent problem on the user's end.

On the supplier's end, it's a solution to the problem of "how do we get suckers to pry their wallets open and pay us stupid amounts of money for no good reason." And it's a very effective solution.

Shooter McGavin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Free Texas
    I don't trust the ones that use modified carriers. Hello, carrier tilt. Ghetto-ass crap.

Unless you're shooting lots with a rifle that's suppressed, with a super short barrel and throwing in a good amount of full auto, the "piston guns" (a term I hate because a standard AR has a piston) are a solution for a non-existent problem on the user's end.

On the supplier's end, it's a solution to the problem of "how do we get suckers to pry their wallets open and pay us stupid amounts of money for no good reason." And it's a very effective solution.

I won't be running a suppressor and the barrel will be 16", no full auto either.
    I simply just want to run a gas piston set up as opposed to the DI gas system. I have other ARs and all of them are DI, I keep them clean and well lube I've yet to have any issues with any of them. There are pros and cons to both systems, to say one is better than the other is ultimately the opinion of the user.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I had an Osprey piston on a Colt 6920. No issues with it. Much cleaner and cooler on the bolt/BCG/chamber than DI. Limited handguard selection though.

DI isnt bad but piston is better for me.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I echo what Sage said about the advantages of a gas piston system. It will really shine when suppressed, SBR &/or full auto.

You don't have to shoot under those conditions though. Go for it.

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
    silencers
    DK Firearms
    Tyrant Designs
    Every Day Man
    Shroud
    Shroud
    Weapon displays
    Ammo
    Defender Tactical