Join TexasGunTalk

Affordable scope for SIG 556 Classic

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by cbp210, Nov 9, 2013.

1. cbp210

cbp210 Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    I will be getting my special order SIG 556 Classic rifle this coming January and am interested in getting an affordable red dot or scope. What are people suggestions. I am more interested in hearing from current SIG 556 Classic owners.

2. 40Arpent

40Arpent TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    You're going to have to define affordable.

With respect to RDS vs scope, it'd be helpful to know your intended use for the rifle. Whatever that use is, if it includes punching paper at 100 yards or more, a magnified optic can be a lot more enjoyable. But if it's primary use is personal defense, an RDS would be more suitable.

What do you think is unique enough about the Sig 556 Classic that makes the advice of non-owners less helpful?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  3. cbp210

cbp210 Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    I have never handled this rifle and do not know too much about it although I have several AR's. This rifle is going to be given to me by my employer as a commemorative for time in service and it will have the employer logo on it. I would most likely use it for patrolling my property as I have had poachers and trespassers come into my land and steal my hog traps. I would also like to use it for some good hog hunts.

4. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    A decent 1-4X scope can't be beat as an all-around optic. Burris Tac 30 is a good lower-end model, and I'm completely in love with my Trijicon Accupoint 1-4X. Dual illumination for the win! :D

Whatever you go with, make sure you use good mounts. They're almost more important to a good scope setup than the glass itself.

5. Charlie

Charlie Semi-Literate TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    I agree with the Burris 1-4 but I don't agree with the label "..lower-end model". Burris makes very good to great scopes in the US that have a no BS lifetime warranty. I had a 1.5 - 6 EuroDiamond illuminated rectical on a Burris years ago and it was fantastic. A great close-up or 100+ yd. gun.

6. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I only call it that after playing with scopes even lower-end than it and deciding that they're not really worth wasting time and money on.

Buy once, cry once.

7. 40Arpent

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Then defintiely a 1-4x, in my opinion. Now, again, what is your definition of affordable?

8. cbp210

cbp210 Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    I would say a lot lesser than the Trijicon or Aimpoint prices.

9. 40Arpent

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Then i'd second the vote for a Burris Tac30. I have one, along with a couple other more expensive 1-4x illuminated scopes, and it is definitely a great scope for the price.

10. ad5md

ad5md New Member

Sep 7, 2013
    Another vote for the Burris Tac30. I have mine on a Stag Arms model 3 using the Burris PEPR mount. Glass is clear and reticle is nice (can be illuminated if you need to). Shot steel poppers @160 yds with 1 round each on a local carbine match yesterday. Works feally good for me