• 80 - 89

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • 90 - 99

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • 100 or higher

Votes: 3 2.2%

• Total voters

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I really liked pre-2016 Youtube. They seem pretty intent on making it Theirtube, tho... It's still hanging on for now, but a replacement is needed.

When you need to replace something arcane, like a frozen back flow preventer on a sprinkler system, YouTube is hard to beat; and you're right, most of those are a few years old.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    FidoNet -> UseNet -> Web Based Forums -> FaceBook, et al -> Twitter -> Instagram -> ??

Folks gravitate to first, what technology allows; secondly, what they've become used to; and third, where their interest/information is;

I'll agree with the second paragraph. I missed out on Fidonet or usenet. I'm out in the sticks, and internet access was slow coming, and when it did it was slower than anything. I remember getting a free upgrade to a 33.6k modem in the computer when it became available. The phone company told me don't bother, the lines won't handle that much bandwidth. Until the town a few miles away received a grant and got a line of sight tower for internet, we were stuck with around 12kbps for internet. Enough for my daughter to use those yahoo chat rooms, and then a bit of myspace. I never had the patience to spend that much time on the computer waiting.

I found internet forums when we finally got bandwidth to be an interesting place to discuss topics of interest. I haven't gotten around to signing up for yahoo messenger, myspace, facebook, twitter, instagram, etc. yet.

If I hit the lotto, I'll sing up for all of them just to see what all the hoopla is about. If I don't, I guess I'll never know.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I
    I found internet forums when we finally got bandwidth to be an interesting place to discuss topics of interest. I haven't gotten around to signing up for yahoo messenger, myspace, facebook, twitter, instagram, etc. yet.

If I hit the lotto, I'll sing up for all of them just to see what all the hoopla is about. If I don't, I guess I'll never know.

I have gig speed internet, and I still don't do any of those...

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I have gig speed internet, and I still don't do any of those...

I have 25 Mpbs now. I can finally watch youtube without buffering. But I've gone this long without relying on it, so why start now?

I can't even imagine gig speed internet. But I also can't imagine being happy with neighbors closer than 1000 or 2000 feet or more.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    When you need to replace something arcane, like a frozen back flow preventer on a sprinkler system, YouTube is hard to beat; and you're right, most of those are a few years old.

You Tube's been pretty profitable for me......LOTS of folks watch part of the video, think they're an expert - and promptly ball up everything! My personal favorite are the idiots that show you to use a stick to break up a salt bridge in a brine tank - I've sold a LOT of brine tanks over the years to the ones that do that!

Me? I pour 3-4 gallons of tap water into the tank.....it dissolves the salt (and, ergo, the salt bridge), I don't break a sweat - and the brine tank doesn't get punched!

Dancing Heretik

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 8, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    I'll see your James Gang concert and raise you a live Peter Paul & Mary concert in their early years.
    My mother took me to see Peter, Paul, and Mary and James Brown when I was too young to know who they were.
    I actually think TGT is more classically liberal than many other gun forums. I'd like to think I helped shape that... Of course classical liberalism isn't mutually exclusionary to American conservatism, so that helps.
    Classical Liberalism, I like that term. From back when there were hippies? The opposite of modern liberalism!

Dancing Heretik

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 8, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Oh, so it's an official philosophical term. In that case, I don't know what it is. I'll have to look it up.

But, one has to admit, the liberalism of the 60's bears no resemblance to the 'liberalism'/fanaticism of today.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Pretty disappointing on the lack of 20-39 year olds here. I see just as many gun enthusiasts in that age range as any other in the real world, tho. Wonder if forums are just a dying media.

You tend to get a bit wiser with age......over time, you learn to appreciate dealing with known entities. During the heyday of the FB gun pages, I was admin on about 20 different pages. The sheer volume of con jobs and scams was mind-boggling. Here, you can see how long someone's been a member, look at their past posts, and generally get a pretty good feel for the kind of person they are - because morons get run off pretty quick.

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    I went to the Beatles concert at the Hollywood Bowl in 65 with my father. I was 8 and all I remember was the screaming.
    I saw the Beatles when they stayed at the Shamrock Hilton (we lived a block behind it). Thousands of people there. I was with my older brother and his girlfriend. Even chased their limo down the street in the car. I musta been around 8.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Dad_Roman,

One of the fondest memories of my undergrad college days/DAZE that occurred at The Shamrock Hilton in the Fall of 1965, when I was a freshman at UT, newly engaged to my then/late fiancée (Rachel Wise) & was a "near full-time employee" of the Texas GOP. = Rachel & I were assigned (with a group of other Young Republicans) to assist in the preparations of a huge GOP Rally that was in Houston, with the Rally HQ at the Shamrock.

After working most of the preceding night & all day on Friday, we were "released by the boss" to go rest & eat at about 4PM. - We were also told to "Go up to the Hospitality Suite & get you something to eat." & "Be ready to return to your assigned duties at 9PM & meet the bus at the front door."

When we arrived at the hospitality suite, we were met & welcomed by George H. W. Bush, who said, "You kids look beat. Get in line, get yourselves a plate & then find a place to sit."

A lady's voice said, "No George. I'm claiming these two. I know where they've been & what they've been doing."
    (We were wearing the bright red golf shirts with an Elephant motif & name badges to get in & out of the rally venue, that the YR Staff had been given.)
    The lady told us that, "I'm Barbara Bush" & she "took us in hand" & led us over to a sofa, saying, "You sit RIGHT HERE. I'm going to serve you."
    (KNOWING that "tone of voice" as "a Mom's", we said, "Yes Ma'am." & sat down to rest.)

Mrs. Bush brought us each a HEAPING platter of food, silverware & napkins & said, "Eat."

A "man behind the bar" then said, "What do you want to drink?'
    (I said, "I'd like a beer" & Rachel said, "Me too.")

Mrs. Bush said to the bartender, "They may have a soft drink or iced tea." & to us, "Which do you kids want?"
    (Again KNOWING her tone of voice, we asked for soft drinks.)

After, we finished our plates, Mrs. Bush brought us slices of pie & asked if we wanted, "anything else".
    (We finished our dessert/drinks & left. - As we went out the door, Mrs. Bush told us that we could return to have more food anytime that night, if/when we "got off shift".)

We then left the suite & went to my room to "flop down & rest" until 9PM.
    The next afternoon, Mrs. Bush saw us in the lobby, came over & asked us if we had gotten any sleep, if we had eaten anything & if we were "off to enjoy the rally".
    (We said, "Yes, Ma'am" & she hugged us & said, "Have a great time" & left.)

My memory of Mrs. Bush was that she was an UTTERLY LOVELY LADY & what a Texas woman is supposed to be. - I was & AM proud to have met such a nice/wonderful person.

ADDENDA: When "Miss Barbara" (AKA: "The Enforcer") passed away on 17APR18, I sent flowers to her memorial service. = TOO BAD that she was never the 1st female POTUS.

yours, satx

Last edited:
    Top Bottom