• ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

I’ve noted that many here mention the hand difficulties we Elders experience.

I began as a 1911 Guy, but always had some revolvers. Lately for CC, we have settled on 9mm GLOCK 26 & 19 models.

My hands are very weak from two different processes of aging; and, this never gets better.

Tried tip-up bbl Berettas & didn’t like them. Keep seeing that many buy the S&W E-Z’s, but don’t like them.

Would anyone here very familiar with modern handgun developments, like gunshop owners or active instructors, please comment, even with an update review ?

I’d bet that many would appreciate it.

Merci en avance.

leVieux

<>
    DK Firearms

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    For me, with aging hand issues similar to what you describe, the S&W Equalizer 9mm was a God send. Easy to rack, balanced, and seems to absorb the recoil, if that makes sense... i.e., it doesn't hurt my wrists or hands to shoot, which I now can do often. Good luck! :)

Edit: Oops, I forgot the OP has me on Ignore. I'll leave my post up incase someone else finds it useful.

Last edited:

WilyRobin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2024
    Houston Texas
    Glock 43 and 43x. Hi viz { Ameriglo} ft sight 147 gr JHP. Extended mag+2 grip for 43-better grip. Apendix carry leather holster. Just my opinion.

red442joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2022
    Michigan
    ^^^Good God no! +1 on heavy for caliber bullets.
    I have been doing a lot of loading 9mm in 147 lately.
    My p35 prefers heavy subs for accuracy.
    I have been working on a G43x for my sister. She loves it, I very much dislike shooting it.
    I did get the trigger from 7-1/2 lbs to 4-1/2 lbs with Glock parts.
    I have a competition G17 that is very soft shooting, reliable, and easy to rack. With all Glock parts.
    My recommendation, for Glocks, is to work with heavy subs, re-spring with Glock springs, and add very coarse traction tape or a "racker" to the slide. Even having the serrations re-cut; it's amazing how much easier it is to cycle the slide when you don't have to "grip" it.

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    Maybe not for the same reasons, maybe so, but I have had the similar problem lately. For many years J frame bodyguard or PPK have been my get dressed in the morning guns. I wanted to rotate magazines in my PPK once recently and realized I could not unload the chamber. Had to use the kitchen counter to do so.

Unlike you though I didn't mind the tip up barrels on the Beretta 3032 but did want something a little larger and more potent for a carry gun. I suggest you check out the Girsen tip up 380. It's a slightly improved version of the old discontinued Beretta 86 cheetah and is in 380, which is what I feel to be a minimum self-defense carry.

I decided to kill two birds with one stone and I bought the Sports South exclusive model with the gold plated slide and controls. So I got something I could operate as well as I got my first “BBQ gun” at the same time. I like it a lot.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

‘’For many years J frame bodyguard or PPK have been my get dressed in the morning guns.’’

Me, too, 1980 - 2000. I’m still able to work a PPKS, but it is getting very difficult.

Problem was the Beretta tip-up‘s were very WIDE for calibers.

I often carry two 9mm GLOCKS, anyway.

i’ll relay your GLOCK suggestions to my ‘’GOCK’’ Guy.

Thank you !

leVieux

<>

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    Maybe not for the same reasons, maybe so, but I have had the similar problem lately. For many years J frame bodyguard or PPK have been my get dressed in the morning guns. I wanted to rotate magazines in my PPK once recently and realized I could not unload the chamber. Had to use the kitchen counter to do so.

Unlike you though I didn't mind the tip up barrels on the Beretta 3032 but did want something a little larger and more potent for a carry gun. I suggest you check out the Girsen tip up 380. It's a slightly improved version of the old discontinued Beretta 86 cheetah and is in 380, which is what I feel to be a minimum self-defense carry.

I decided to kill two birds with one stone and I bought the Sports South exclusive model with the gold plated slide and controls. So I got something I could operate as well as I got my first “BBQ gun” at the same time. I like it a lot.
    Should you find yourself over near Houston, you’re more than welcome to borrow my Grison and take it to the range and run it through its paces.

Otto_Mation

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2020
    Montgomery, TX
    For me, with aging hand issues similar to what you describe, the S&W Equalizer 9mm was a God send. Easy to rack, balanced, and seems to absorb the recoil, if that makes sense... i.e., it doesn't hurt my wrists or hands to shoot, which I now can do often. Good luck! :)

Edit: Oops, I forgot the OP has me on Ignore. I'll leave my post up incase someone else finds it useful.
    Quoted here because I think that the OP would find it useful also. I am assuming that OP can see it if I quote it.

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    Either carry a carbine, or ...

shutterstock_1909034227_1000x.jpg

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Forgive my ignorance, but I genuinely want to know ... even prepare, if possible. What causes the weakness in the hands with age, is it universal, is it avoidable?

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    Forgive my ignorance, but I genuinely want to know ... even prepare, if possible. What causes the weakness in the hands with age, is it universal, is it avoidable?
    In my case it's a combination of several factors. I'm on a medication cocktail of 13 pills in the morning and 9 at night. I forget which ones the but several of them loss of muscle strength is one of the side effects.

Top Bottom