• ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

I’ve noted that many here mention the hand difficulties we Elders experience.

I began as a 1911 Guy, but always had some revolvers. Lately for CC, we have settled on 9mm GLOCK 26 & 19 models.

My hands are very weak from two different processes of aging; and, this never gets better.

Tried tip-up bbl Berettas & didn’t like them. Keep seeing that many buy the S&W E-Z’s, but don’t like them.

Would anyone here very familiar with modern handgun developments, like gunshop owners or active instructors, please comment, even with an update review ?

I’d bet that many would appreciate it.

Merci en avance.

leVieux

<>
    Lynx Defense

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    For me, with aging hand issues similar to what you describe, the S&W Equalizer 9mm was a God send. Easy to rack, balanced, and seems to absorb the recoil, if that makes sense... i.e., it doesn't hurt my wrists or hands to shoot, which I now can do often. Good luck! :)

Edit: Oops, I forgot the OP has me on Ignore. I'll leave my post up incase someone else finds it useful.

Last edited:

WilyRobin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2024
    Houston Texas
    Glock 43 and 43x. Hi viz { Ameriglo} ft sight 147 gr JHP. Extended mag+2 grip for 43-better grip. Apendix carry leather holster. Just my opinion.

red442joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2022
    Michigan
    ^^^Good God no! +1 on heavy for caliber bullets.
    I have been doing a lot of loading 9mm in 147 lately.
    My p35 prefers heavy subs for accuracy.
    I have been working on a G43x for my sister. She loves it, I very much dislike shooting it.
    I did get the trigger from 7-1/2 lbs to 4-1/2 lbs with Glock parts.
    I have a competition G17 that is very soft shooting, reliable, and easy to rack. With all Glock parts.
    My recommendation, for Glocks, is to work with heavy subs, re-spring with Glock springs, and add very coarse traction tape or a "racker" to the slide. Even having the serrations re-cut; it's amazing how much easier it is to cycle the slide when you don't have to "grip" it.

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    Maybe not for the same reasons, maybe so, but I have had the similar problem lately. For many years J frame bodyguard or PPK have been my get dressed in the morning guns. I wanted to rotate magazines in my PPK once recently and realized I could not unload the chamber. Had to use the kitchen counter to do so.

Unlike you though I didn't mind the tip up barrels on the Beretta 3032 but did want something a little larger and more potent for a carry gun. I suggest you check out the Girsen tip up 380. It's a slightly improved version of the old discontinued Beretta 86 cheetah and is in 380, which is what I feel to be a minimum self-defense carry.

I decided to kill two birds with one stone and I bought the Sports South exclusive model with the gold plated slide and controls. So I got something I could operate as well as I got my first “BBQ gun” at the same time. I like it a lot.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

‘’For many years J frame bodyguard or PPK have been my get dressed in the morning guns.’’

Me, too, 1980 - 2000. I’m still able to work a PPKS, but it is getting very difficult.

Problem was the Beretta tip-up‘s were very WIDE for calibers.

I often carry two 9mm GLOCKS, anyway.

i’ll relay your GLOCK suggestions to my ‘’GOCK’’ Guy.

Thank you !

leVieux

<>

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    Maybe not for the same reasons, maybe so, but I have had the similar problem lately. For many years J frame bodyguard or PPK have been my get dressed in the morning guns. I wanted to rotate magazines in my PPK once recently and realized I could not unload the chamber. Had to use the kitchen counter to do so.

Unlike you though I didn't mind the tip up barrels on the Beretta 3032 but did want something a little larger and more potent for a carry gun. I suggest you check out the Girsen tip up 380. It's a slightly improved version of the old discontinued Beretta 86 cheetah and is in 380, which is what I feel to be a minimum self-defense carry.

I decided to kill two birds with one stone and I bought the Sports South exclusive model with the gold plated slide and controls. So I got something I could operate as well as I got my first “BBQ gun” at the same time. I like it a lot.
    Should you find yourself over near Houston, you’re more than welcome to borrow my Grison and take it to the range and run it through its paces.

Otto_Mation

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2020
    Montgomery, TX
    For me, with aging hand issues similar to what you describe, the S&W Equalizer 9mm was a God send. Easy to rack, balanced, and seems to absorb the recoil, if that makes sense... i.e., it doesn't hurt my wrists or hands to shoot, which I now can do often. Good luck! :)

Edit: Oops, I forgot the OP has me on Ignore. I'll leave my post up incase someone else finds it useful.
    Quoted here because I think that the OP would find it useful also. I am assuming that OP can see it if I quote it.

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    Either carry a carbine, or ...

shutterstock_1909034227_1000x.jpg

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Forgive my ignorance, but I genuinely want to know ... even prepare, if possible. What causes the weakness in the hands with age, is it universal, is it avoidable?

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    Forgive my ignorance, but I genuinely want to know ... even prepare, if possible. What causes the weakness in the hands with age, is it universal, is it avoidable?
    In my case it's a combination of several factors. I'm on a medication cocktail of 13 pills in the morning and 9 at night. I forget which ones the but several of them loss of muscle strength is one of the side effects.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Robertmb3
    Top Bottom