Join TexasGunTalk

AK

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by CodyK, Dec 9, 2019.

1. CodyK

CodyK Member

Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    An AK style rifle has been on my wish list for a while and I have been looking pretty hard the last couple weeks hoping for a good deal around the holidays. Only problem I’m having now is, after watching several videos and reading different reviews, I don’t know what to believe! One review says WASR’s are garbage and the next says they’re great entry level rifles. The Zastava ZPAP is another one I looked at. Not sure who or what to believe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Southpaw

Southpaw The High Holy Mufchetet TGT Supporter

Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Agentgruer, CodyK and TreyG-20 like this.
  3. TreyG-20

TreyG-20 TGT Addict

Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I don't have any experience with the ZPAP, but Zastava rifles are usually pretty good. I do own a WASR though and it has also been a great rifle. I would lean towards the WASR myself. Or spend a little more and get into an Arsenal. I definitely would be watching the AKOU videos on both to help me decide.

CodyK and Southpaw like this.
  4. easy rider

easy rider Carbide Precipitator TGT Supporter

Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Although I didn't end up either (I went with the M+M M10x), I did a lot of research on those two. There were some failures in the 2000 round test with the WASR, and none that I found on the ZPAP. The NPAP on the other hand, there were many problems.

CodyK likes this.
  5. gshayd

gshayd Ugliest house on the block.

Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    My WASR. All pretty now and shoots good. WASR.jpg

CodyK likes this.
  6. majormadmax

majormadmax Úlfhéðnar

Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Unfortunately, the consistency in the builds of mass-produced AKs has fluctuated over the years. For one, early WASRs were great deals, then they tended to get sloppy. Not sure about the most recent production, but given the increase in price (about double of what they used to be), I would research them carefully before buying sight unseen.

Zastavas as the same way, they too went through a period with questionable quality (NPAPs mainly, but also some OPAPs), but again I cannot tell you what the current crop are like.

I would be wary of US-made Kalashnikovs, the Century ones have had problems. I would steer clear of any RAS-47s, and even the C-39 even though I have an early one and love it; but the bolts were questionable and could do damage to the receivers and carrier channels. Many avoid them altogether but mine is a great shooter. I just need to put a Bulgarian bolt carrier in it; but it's very accurate (for an AK) and while it's showing some early signs of internal issues, I believe it will be OK once I get the new bolt into it.

So, as I stated, it's up to the individual rifle; but Jim Fuller probably provides the best advice on what to look for when buying an inexpensive (relatively speaking) AK...

CodyK and Southpaw like this.
  7. Woohog1

Woohog1 New Member

Thursday
    College Station
    Fwiw I have a Yugo m70. It's built like a tank!!!
    I've had the opportunity to handle Romanian, Chinese, and polish AKs. As long as you put your hands on the one you want, and not just but but from online out of a crate, you should be ok, at least in my experience. YMMV

majormadmax likes this.
  8. MTA89

MTA89 The Mulleteer TGT Supporter

Mar 10, 2017
    Texoma
    I have an Arsenal SLR95 I am going to be selling soon if you are interested

9. CodyK

CodyK Member

Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    I’m way over my “gun budget”, and an Arsenal may be outta my league price wise, but you’d be surprised at how creative I can be when it comes to justify buying a gun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk