• Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Finally just bit the bullet and bought this:

1688864419361.png

Hopefully will get it all buttoned up before our next extended power outage. Pad is poured and cured, and working on getting the trades lined up for the electrical and gas hookups. Thought about going the portable route, which would be fine if I'm home to fire it up but if I'm at work or something it'll be nice to know it's in place and automatic.

Buy once, cry once right?
    Military Camp

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

View attachment 395236

Hopefully will get it all buttoned up before our next extended power outage. Pad is poured and cured, and working on getting the trades lined up for the electrical and gas hookups. Thought about going the portable route, which would be fine if I'm home to fire it up but if I'm at work or something it'll be nice to know it's in place and automatic.

if you can afford it an automatc standby generator is the better option imo

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    It's definitely a beast. Power goes down a bit by fuel, but it'll run 22.5kW at full load on natural gas. That's likely overkill for what I need, the house only has a 150A service. But when I looked up the specs, the larger model somehow had a lower half-load fuel consumption than the smaller generators.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot

View attachment 395236

I know people if you need leads.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I know people if you need leads.
    I appreciate that, I might if things don't work out. I'm currently working with an electrician, waiting on his quote. I called a plumber for a quote on the gas line, but so far radio silence. Thankfully gas and the electric panel are close, that will help keep costs down on the install side. Already have a larger gas meter because of the pool heater, and the generator is going right next to it.

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    My brother had a house built on land in Blanco area. He chose the propane unit because he already has a big tank on property. He too chose a Generac and was around $10k with auto come on. He knows out there he will be one of the last ones to have power restored, same with his well. I keep wondering, if the Left (AOC) does away with natural gas like they want, all those generators will be useless.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    I would love to have a standby generator. But costs associated with the ATS is what kills the deal for me. I can find 22kw generacs on marketplace all day long for 5 - 6k. After you add in the ATS and the cost for wiring and plumbing you're at 12 - 13k minimum.

What I want is a standby generator that doesn't have the ATS. Lights go out, I want to go outside flip a switch, turn the genny on myself, have it power my entire breaker panel and save that 7k for something else. If you travel a lot, or physically incapable or turning on the genny, I can see the value of the ATS.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I would love to have a standby generator. But costs associated with the ATS is what kills the deal for me. I can find 22kw generacs on marketplace all day long for 5 - 6k. After you add in the ATS and the cost for wiring and plumbing you're at 12 - 13k minimum.
    That part right there has been the 15 year struggle. I'm trying to prepare myself for the electrical quote, and the likely headache dealing with the power company. Gas should be pretty cheap, it's literally a 3 foot run.

What I want is a standby generator that doesn't have the ATS. Lights go out, I want to go outside flip a switch, turn the genny on myself, have it power my entire breaker panel and save that 7k for something else. If you travel a lot, or physically incapable or turning on the genny, I can see the value of the ATS.
    You should still be able to do that, we did a similar install at work. We had a break-before-make manual transfer switch installed on the exterior of one electrical panel, with a 50A inlet. That runs critical systems in one area. It connects to a shore power box installed on the wall where the generator connects outside. That allows us the ability to manually plug in a handful of additional loads at the wall.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    We moved in sure the2021 ice storm & were without power for 2-3 weeks. I thought about a generator. If I were to do it I'd have to bring in a propane tank for added cost. While it add value to the property, I have yet to justify it.

Want an ATV or small cc murdercycle to drive around in. An AVT might get my fat ass back out I the woods. to slay some hogs at night.I actually see more value in this.

Wudidiz

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 8, 2022
    Tomball
    We have a 22k Generac on a cement pad with ATS. It came with the house 5 years ago. I would never have a home again without one. When the juice goes off (which is quite often in my neighborhood) it immediately starts up and runs the entire house just as though the power was on. Spoils you big time and makes me feel sorry for the neighbors. We're the only house on the street that doesn't go black. I service it myself. Just oil changes annualy and battery replacement every few years.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    After Harvey, the first utility shut off was the gas...those running propane or gasoline were fine.....power outage no problem...natural disaster however........

We were on the generator for 6 weeks post storm.......

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    During the '21 winter storm when our power was out for 5 days, all I had at the time was a ~4k generator that I had to run extension cords into the house with. It had enough juice to run 2 small portable heaters and TV and not much else. Kept having to refill it twice a day. NOT fun. After that I looked into a whole house generator, but there's no natural gas lines in my neighborhood, and the property is not large enough to put a propane tank far enough from the house to be legal, so I opted to get solar with battery backup.

Top Bottom