• ...and so much more!
  • Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Don’t forget the noise! They are loud. Be sure to put them in the side of your house with the neighbors you don’t like.
    Noise wasn't a problem when I lived in memphis, I had a loud, obnoxious neighbor and aimed the muffler at his bedroom windows. Now I have great neighbors that I have to consider and hopefully a more reliable grid.

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    I think I paid about $75 for a tri-fuel carb for a 18HP DUROMAX engine for a 8kw generator I built.

It will run on the gasoline tank (which I will likely NEVER DO) and then you can choose LP or Natural gas.

I have a bunch of propane so that is what it is set for.

Gasoline and carbs that sit do NOT mix well.
    Neighbors that have old gasoline tractors always call me in the Spring. Can you get my carb fixed, it is clogged.(I hate gas engines that sit)

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Gasoline and carbs that sit do NOT mix well.
    Neighbors that have old gasoline tractors always call me in the Spring. Can you get my carb fixed, it is clogged.(I hate gas engines that sit)
    I use ethanol free gasoline from Buc-ee's and run them every month to keep them ready if needed. My previous use with regular gas required starting every few weeks and use of a stabilizer in the fuel.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    I use ethanol free gasoline from Buc-ee's and run them every month to keep them ready if needed. My previous use with regular gas required starting every few weeks and use of a stabilizer in the fuel.
    Ethanol free with marine stabilizer for my only gasoline tractor, which sits for many months at a time. The saw mill, ATV /UTVs get the same for off season storage.

Wudidiz

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 8, 2022
    Tomball
    Noise wasn't a problem when I lived in memphis, I had a loud, obnoxious neighbor and aimed the muffler at his bedroom windows. Now I have great neighbors that I have to consider and hopefully a more reliable grid.

I guess I lucked out. I have 2 old hens that live on my generator side and neither one of them could hear a firecracker go off if you stuck it in their ear.

gamboolman

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    Spring, Texas - Retired
    Here is our numbers for a new Genset installed. Maybe helpful for folks considering a whole House Auto Start Stand By Genset.

Once I retired, we got a 26KW Generac Powered by Natural Gas. $14,436

We had to get a new Main Breaker Panel as ours had some wiring that was in bad shape. So some rewiring also was done and The Automatic Transfer Switch. They also did some other Electrical work on the House $6,000

And Centerpoint to replace the existing Gas Regulator with a larger Volume one, and Generac crew ran the underground fuel line from the Regulator Inlet to the Genset ~$300

So total installed cost for us was ~$20,736 - I had not ever added it up. But be aware that most folks will not have to replace the Main Breaker Panel

We had a Power Failure of about 80 hours earlier this summer and it was nice as it got up into the 90's. We ran extension cords to our neighbors to keep their Freezer going and run some fans.

We can't hear it upstairs. So that's nice.

We also have the App on the phone to get notifications of when the Genset comes online. and it keeps up with Run Time Hours for Routine Maintenance required.

For ms gamboolgal and I, at this stage in our life - we are glad we have it. We are fortunate that we could afford the thing..... We had budgeted for the cost prior to retiring. But I had underestimated by about $10K.... ha

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    That's a pretty hefty total bill, but it's not too far off what I have been hearing. Sounds like the average is around 15k turn-key. Regardless of the price, once you have it it's sure nice when the utility power goes down and the generator takes over.

I shopped things aggressively and saved quite a bit by hiring the trades directly. But, if something doesn't work from the install forward, the fingers can only point at me. I was fortunate on a couple big items. I already had a 5 psi meter and a gas run for a pool heater. The generator went next to that, so all I needed was another regulator, a valve, and a short 3 foot run. I poured my own generator pad. The electrical run was only about 13 feet, but he did it right and ran the feed underground for a nice tidy install. I did the generator setup and activation (takes a few minutes, super easy) as well as the break in and load testing. Total installed ended up just under 9k.

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    My little brother moved down to Blanco from Chicago a few years ago and after having his house built plus pool and wellhouse, included a Generac, uses propane. He knew they were on the end of the line as to power service outage and restoration. It's an automatic come on and has used it a few times. I recall him saying it was around $10k at the time. As an aside, he went all out on insulating his attic and walls using that fancy dancy stuff. His a/c seldom comes on and he went into his attic recently it was only 85 degrees. "Get out of here", I told him as he and I had crawled around in plenty of attics in Texas summers running telco wiring.

larcat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2023
    Orange
    We budgeted in an automstic kickoff when we moved down here because this area gets hammered by storms. 23kw, 15k all in, including a 15 foot gas run, 20 foot electrical run and a powdercoated tube steel stand to raise it up a bit from the pad.

It's come on several times, including at least a couple of days I would have had to take PTO without internet connectivity to keep working.

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    I started mine for the first time last week. Made sure it would start on Propane . Then I switched it to natural Gas to make sure it will run on that. It took a bit to start cause I had air in the lines.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2023
    Lakeway
    Just changed the plugs and oil in the generators yesterday. All started just fine. I run a bit of that synthetic fuel from Home Depot in them before storage, just enough to make sure the carb bowl is filled. I do it for outboard motors too.

Never really considered a whole house generator, if power goes out we just move into the camper that has one built in.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    ERCOT has issued a warning that grid conditions are expected to be very tight tonight, 7-9 p.m.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Yep, looks like it'll actually be upside down according to the forecast. Hopefully everyone with their smart thermostats set to allow for conservation actions can save us all. ;)

1692893643779.png

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Still early in the day, and we're already below 6MW reserves.
    Normally doesn't hit this low so early.

ETA: We're at 107°.

ETA: Now 108°.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom