almost arrested for "falsifying government documents"

Discussion in 'Texas Concealed Handgun (CHL)' started by SilverStone641, Oct 9, 2009.

1. SilverStone641

SilverStone641 New Member

Oct 9, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    Hey all. I had a bit of a harrowing experience last night. background, i live in texas and took my texas CHL and my Utah CHL, but for financial reasons i only sent in my Utah documentation. anyways, i get pulled over in rockwall for running a stop-sign and failing to signal intent to turn. The office requested my DL and naturally i gave him my CHL as well. he later told me he assumed it was a second drivers license and didn't pay it any attention. he came back to my car nearly 20 minutes later and asked if i had my weapon on me, i said that i did.

by now there were three cars and four officers on scene. thats when things took a turn for the worse. i had some paintball guns lying on the floor of the back seat. the secondary officer noticed the butts sticking out and immediately went into threat mode. they drew weapons and pulled me and my brothers from the car, frisked us all and sat us on the curb. they took my gun and pocket knife away at this time and put it in the squad car.

by now their sergeant had showed up on the scene, now we're looking at four cars total. they talked amongst themselves for a long time and finally an officer came over and said "look, we can't verify that your CHL is valid or even legit. theres no swipe-strip on the back. we called utah and there is no record of you(it's 0130) at this point you're looking at falsifying government documents(my brother told me later that he overheard the officers ask each other if they were gonna need the cuffs. they said thats what it looks like.

they asked me exactly how i obtained the CHL and if i had ever lived in utah(they asked this at least 3 times) i told them i had taken the dallas course and that the instructor had offered the Utah class and i thought it was a good idea. he claims that utah is NOT reciprocal with texas and that the CHL isn't even valid without a Utah ID. they then went on to tell me that my utah CHL was most like a fraud and that i was taken. even though i told them that my CHL instructor stamped it with his licensing stamp and that i sent off all application documentation myself and not him. they still said that all this could be faked. They went on to say that i had been carrying a gun this past year illegally(this scared me greatly)

finally they told me i was free to go, but they kept my weapon, two spare mags and the Utah CHL.(which i thought was against the law if i wasn't under arrest, but i wasn't about to argue)

>basically my question is this. is a CHL that i recieved while living in texas(even though i've never held residence in utah) valid for carrying a weapon in texas? was i taken?

any help or advice would be excellent.

2. TxEMTP69

TxEMTP69 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
  3. okie556

okie556 Well-Known

Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    I know this is probably a moot point now but why if you were strapped for money would you not send in the paperwork for TX CHL and not UTAH? Not up on the law but Reciprocity agreement to me is you as a resident of TX holding a valid TX CHL can conceal carry in Utah or any other that has a reciprocial agreement with TX. Sorry for your hassel but I can see why the officers were concerned with you holding a UTAH CHL if you never lived there. Good Luck.

4. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    INteresting first post.

You need an attorney. If the story is accurate you should sue Rockwall PD for a violation of your civil rights. They had NO authority to seize your personal property, IMO. In fact, contact the local FBI and ask about a Federal Civil Rights violation.

You might even contact the Texas Rangers about a Texas violation.

And please people, can we please stay ON TOPIC and not turn this into a cop bash. We were not there, and don't know if the story is even partially true.

5. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Yes, it is.

And besides, you were in a motor vehicle, and if this happened after Sept 1 of 2007 you don't NEED a CHL to carry in your car.

6. okie556

okie556 Well-Known

Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    I believe he stated the weapon was on him....not just in car.....so CHL was needed.

7. SilverStone641

Oct 9, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    that is correct

8. SilverStone641

Oct 9, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    I've always been the type to try to not cause waves and just live under the radar. i really don't want to pursue legal action. i just want my weapon back and to prove the my Utah CHL is indeed valid. thats it.

9. TxEMTP69

TxEMTP69 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    Good possibility you might have to make waves to get it back. Good luck. If it were me and my rights violated, it would be known far and wide.

I reallly need to contact those prepaid legal guys

10. randmplumbingllc

randmplumbingllc Active Member

Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    Someone correct me, if I'm wrong, but there is nowhere in the Texas law that states that if you are a texas resident, that you have to have a "Texas CHL".

I know Arizona has that stipulation in its statutes, but I am not 100% sure on Texas.