APOD Firearms

Alright! SB 299 passed the house & senate. We are getting "imprinting" in Texas!!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dustycorgill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Garland, Texas
    Oh dear dear...if we only had a Speaker of The House in Texas that helped Pro Gun Laws......this discussion would not be happening. We would be like Arkansas, Arizona, and the other states that are light years ahead of us on this matter.

BJG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Plano, TX
    I can tell you're new to this. Printing is not a concern in Texas. Unless you shrink wrap a t-shirt to yourself your gun will not be so conspicuous as to violate the current statute. The Police do not arrest people for a shirt blowing up or a jacket riding up. This is nonsense perpetuated by gun store commandos and worthless CHL instructors.

SB 299 does give us liscensed open carry in private locations not owned or controlled by the carrier, which is something we don't currently have. After Sept 1 you can have your friends over (assuming they have CHL) and hang out in your backyard or your house with your handguns openly displayed.

I can say that although I am relatively new to Texas, I'm certainly not new to concealed carry, law enforcement, or the court system. It's always best to have a specific law in place to protect one's rights instead of relying on a police officer's discretion and/or the DA's office making the proper decision not to pursue a prosecution. Although it may be redundant, this new law probably clears up some of the perceived gray area for those who are against concealed carry and might be alarmed if a handgun were unintentionally exposed. Still though, because open carry is not legal in public locations here in Texas, it can come down to officer testimony and witness statements as to whether or not a handgun exposure is unintentional. Some police officers fudge reports, and some witnesses lie. (And I'm saying this as a former Chief of Detectives).

Some people on this discussion thread are very confident that printing of a concealed handgun in a public location is not illegal and/or will not get them in any trouble. While I agree that a simple bulge is not enough to cause a problem, something that clearly resembles a handgun under clothing probably will cause a problem. I'm defining "printing" as something more than a simple bulge in one's clothing. If I'm on the wrong track with all of this, then I apologize. I would rather be safe than sorry when it comes to potentially violating the law and having to deal with being stopped/questioned/arrested, etc. For those who are steadfastly confident that printing (more than a simple bulge) is acceptable in the eyes of the police and courts, then put your money where your mouth is and test your theory. That's all I'm asking. Me...I'm not so confident that the law is clearly defined, so I'll pass on becoming a test case.

GRAYWOLF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    Where I really see it being advantage is on ranches and such. If I invite some friends over for hiking or 4-wheeling or horseback riding, they can now legally OC.

Isn't this already legal? As long as one has the land owner's permission they can open carry...hunters do it all the time.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Isn't this already legal? As long as one has the land owner's permission they can open carry...hunters do it all the time.

Expanding on what bithabus said, they can OC if the activity uses that gun. Hunting does, target shooting does, etc. Other things like BBQ, 4-wheeling, hiking, etc do not. In summary, a landowner can not give permission to OC on their property, just as they cannot give permission to DUI on their property.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Alright! SB 299 passed the house & senate. We are getting "imprinting" in Texas

Hell, I figured it would help the city folks have an OC BBQ more than it would help the country folk on a 4 wheeler. I don't think anybody would give a rats rear end if I had 20 people at my house eating BBQ OCing their favorite chime and gold desert eagles( other than the guns being ugly). Sheriffs department may show up.......for some BBQ.

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    Imprinting

I expect my friends to have a pistol on their hip when they are on my property if they are out in the woods. All snakes and pigs are always fair game 24/7.

Driller

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I can say that although I am relatively new to Texas, I'm certainly not new to concealed carry, law enforcement, or the court system. It's always best to have a specific law in place to protect one's rights instead of relying on a police officer's discretion and/or the DA's office making the proper decision not to pursue a prosecution. Although it may be redundant, this new law probably clears up some of the perceived gray area for those who are against concealed carry and might be alarmed if a handgun were unintentionally exposed. Still though, because open carry is not legal in public locations here in Texas, it can come down to officer testimony and witness statements as to whether or not a handgun exposure is unintentional. Some police officers fudge reports, and some witnesses lie. (And I'm saying this as a former Chief of Detectives).

Some people on this discussion thread are very confident that printing of a concealed handgun in a public location is not illegal and/or will not get them in any trouble. While I agree that a simple bulge is not enough to cause a problem, something that clearly resembles a handgun under clothing probably will cause a problem. I'm defining "printing" as something more than a simple bulge in one's clothing. If I'm on the wrong track with all of this, then I apologize. I would rather be safe than sorry when it comes to potentially violating the law and having to deal with being stopped/questioned/arrested, etc. For those who are steadfastly confident that printing (more than a simple bulge) is acceptable in the eyes of the police and courts, then put your money where your mouth is and test your theory. That's all I'm asking. Me...I'm not so confident that the law is clearly defined, so I'll pass on becoming a test case.

Intent is a culpable mental state here. The code defines it as when it was your conscious objective to engage in the conduct or cause the result. Also, a violation is a class a misdemeanor. One for which must occur in an officer's presence or view for a warrantless arrest.

Welcome to the forum, BTW. Where were you a LEO?

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    :p how do you know, ever been here? lol

Is this it?

jbh1.jpg

Top Bottom