• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Freedom1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    Saint Louis
    Bersa Thunder HiCapacity 9mm Pro is an aluminium frame 9mm and have had no problems so far. Granted I have not had it long, but she works just fine.
    ARJ Defense ad

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Forgot to add, all of the Sigs, Kahrs, etc. at work in the rental counter with aluminum frames have over 50 - 100,000 rounds through them and they are just fine. That's without regular cleaning and spring maintenance.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    That depends on the gun. There are many Sigs, with alloy frames that have over 50,000 rounds on them and are still going strong. Aluminum 1911's I doubt would stand up to that much just due to the design and troque of the .45 ACP

Then explain the P220 - Sig's aluminum-framed (except for the stainless version) .45. :p

Recoil isn't all that different between 9 and .45, truth be told. You can safely and happily build a .45 on an aluminum frame and get more lifetime out of the frame than you'll ever be able to use up.

The only reason the 1911 was built on a steel frame was because aluminum was a lot more exotic at the time.

The barrel is what supports the chamber pressure, so that is the limiting factor.

As far as the frame, if you run a proper spring for the gun it will be a non-issue. If you underspring the gun, then subject the frame to battering, then any of the materials are going to show wear. Aluminum is softer, so it will show accelerated wear. Even the standard aircraft grade T6061 Aluminum is about 1/2 to 2/3rds as hard as most of your gun steel.

Aluminum is harder than polymer, but polymer is elastic. Aluminum is 3 times as elastic as steel.

Ask yourself this ... have you ever seen an AR15 wear out it's aluminum components? It's got a forged aluminum lower and upper receiver, and is subject to considerably more deposits and rough conditions.

Forget forgings. I know there are ARs out there with extruded aluminum uppers on them! The DPMS .308 rifles (without forward assist, don't know about with) use an extruded upper. If it's good enough for .308, I don't think .45 is going to hurt it.

Hell, I've even read that some companies (S&W?) produced .38 revolvers with aluminum cylinders.

There were a few years when the Camaro used aluminum drums on the brake system to shave weight, too.

Aluminum - it ain't as weak as you guys think.

res1b3uq

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    The only reason the 1911 was built on a steel frame was because aluminum was a lot more exotic at the time------I disagree. In terms of concealed carry, in which you might need to pull the pistol once in your lifetime, the alloy pistols are perfect. I have owned three, and still have one to carry. If I were a police officer, or a soldier, I would want a steel pistol. I just do not think the alloy would hold up too well in the mud, blood, and beer.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    ROFL, just don't tell Sig-Sauer that their pistols are supposed to only last long enough to use once.

Got a few thousand through mine - it's still tight. Can't wait to send thousands more.

And yes, aluminum was a much more exotic material back in 1911. Metallurgy has come a looong way since the early 1900s.

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    Thanks for the replies. When I held the Defender, it did feel good in my hand. I would change the fat rubber grip out for something a little more, slimming though. LOL

I still wonder about that guy who described a gouge like scratch in his feed ramp by an empty hanging up after firing. He said it happened a couple of times and each time made the "gouge" worse. He had to send it back and get another gun.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I don't see how an empty could come in contact with the feed ramp after firing - it's going to extract and eject up not down. And again, most feed ramps are integrated into the barrel anyway.

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    I don't see how an empty could come in contact with the feed ramp after firing - it's going to extract and eject up not down. And again, most feed ramps are integrated into the barrel anyway.

Yeah, I know but he said that something was damaged because of a jam that caused a feeding problem. I wish I could remember where I read the thread. I'll do a search on some of the forums that I read and see if I can find it.

Top Bottom