ammo shortage

Texsun

Feb 26, 2009
I spoke with the manager of the gun counter at my local Academy today who said his Winchester rep had been in and was saying there may be an ammo shortage later this summer because the banks weren't lending enough money to big box buyers to purchase large quantities of ammo. He had zero 40 cal. in as of now...

mjohnson6565

Nov 7, 2008
Something else s going on... There are selling out as soon as they get shipment. So stores would find a way to by more if more was available.

Another thing to note is that wholesalers are out of handguns.. almost every brand , every caliber of semi-auto hand gun out out of stock.

JKTex

Well-Known
Mar 11, 2008
DFW, North Texas
Big retail like most business lives and breaths on credit, and for anyone that's been sleeping the last 6 months, lending has been a bit of an issue for business. It's the #1 driver behind businesses that have failed or just closed up, and construction that's sitting not doing anything. It's not always easy to see, especially in most places in Texas where local economies are fairly healthy, but if you look, you'll see the aftermath of the credit problems.

schertztx

Nov 14, 2008
I was just at the academy in san antonio at 1604/281N and they must have just gotten in a shipment of ammo. They had LOTS of 5.56/223 7.62X39 5.45, and most all other rifle calibers. They had in four different kinds of 9mm, and several kinds of .45 including two different brands of 100 count boxes.

awmp

Jun 15, 2008
I was just at the academy in san antonio at 1604/281N and they must have just gotten in a shipment of ammo. They had LOTS of 5.56/223 7.62X39 5.45, and most all other rifle calibers. They had in four different kinds of 9mm, and several kinds of .45 including two different brands of 100 count boxes.
Tell them to ship it to the Temple Academy, they have nothing.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Feb 17, 2009
Rockport
I purchased 300 rounds 9mm at my local (rockport) wally world bout a week ago, 2 weeks before that i picked up 400 rounds 9mm in corpus off greenwood. Today my wife picked up 700 rounds .380 at walmart in corpus off greenwood. Clerk told her people are driving in from San antonio for ammo

wayneside

Feb 14, 2009
Good pick up TxEMTP69...I need to start stocking up again as soon as I get back from California...I typically make early morning visits to Walmart and have great luck!

garza1290

Feb 23, 2009
Texas
Here in my neck of the woods the Wal Marts and Academy's usually have better selections in the mornings. I can't make it every day but try at least every other day if possible.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Feb 17, 2009
Rockport
Good pick up TxEMTP69...I need to start stocking up again as soon as I get back from California...I typically make early morning visits to Walmart and have great luck!
I couldn't beleive she found it in the afternoon, was a real good find. Have a safe trip to Cali...

Ruggles

Nov 24, 2008
I work for the big box retailer and credit has nothing to do with what we order or can get in ammowise. I have given up finding it locally. Buy online, the prices are better so that makes up for the S&H. And you can find some instock!

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
Texas Gun Forum Ad
silencers
third coast
Ranier
Tyrant Designs
DK Firearms

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members