• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ElevenBravo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    Is there a restriction on any types of ammunition that can be used for hunting? Specifically for varmints- I'm checking out various loads for for my .223, but concerned that the best ammo for the rifle may be 77gr Matchkings or something not intended for hunting.
    Texas SOT

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I've never hunted in Texas but it's common to have specific calibers like the .223 prohibited as deer hunting rounds. It would be wise to check for sure.

On your bullet selection, 77 grain is a heavy bullet for .223. A 1:7 barrel twist may be needed for that bullet. I shot 69 grain bullets in a 1:8 twist with good results.

Sierra Match Kings are hollow points but they are not recommended for hunting.

Flash

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Texas doesn't allow rimfire for game animals, no restriction for varmints.

ElevenBravo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    I've never hunted in Texas but it's common to have specific calibers like the .223 prohibited as deer hunting rounds. It would be wise to check for sure.

On your bullet selection, 77 grain is a heavy bullet for .223. A 1:7 barrel twist may be needed for that bullet. I shot 69 grain bullets in a 1:8 twist with good results.

Sierra Match Kings are hollow points but they are not recommended for hunting.

Flash

barrel has a 1:9, but I'm testing various bullet weights. 53gr VMAX seems to be 1 MOA, but I'm expecting better results from the rifle than this. I'm not deer hunting with this, just taking varmints. I would never take anything of appreciable size with anything smaller than .30cal.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Which rifle/barrel is it? Is the chamber actually .223, or is it 5.56? As Roger implied, I don't think you're gonna get the accuracy you want with anything above 55gr.

ElevenBravo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    Which rifle/barrel is it? Is the chamber actually .223, or is it 5.56? As Roger implied, I don't think you're gonna get the accuracy you want with anything above 55gr.

chambered for 5.56 with 1:9 twist. most of the reviews of the rifle suggest that it wants slightly heavier bullets. shooting .223 53gr VMAX has only gotten me 1 MOA of accuracy.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    chambered for 5.56 with 1:9 twist. most of the reviews of the rifle suggest that it wants slightly heavier bullets. shooting .223 53gr VMAX has only gotten me 1 MOA of accuracy.

Have you tried any premium ammo in 5.56? Generally speaking. .223 ammo will be less accurate from a 5.56 chamber than 5.56 ammo.

ElevenBravo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    Have you tried any premium ammo in 5.56? Generally speaking. .223 ammo will be less accurate from a 5.56 chamber than 5.56 ammo.

Haven't tried it yet, .223 is more plentiful out here than 5.56 that isn't just FMJ or milsurp.

Rifleman55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    I would think that 1moa would be accurate enough to take any varmint out to the effective range of the .223.
    I have shot many crows and groundhogs with a rifle that would do about 1moa.
    I think that most of the 1/2 moa groups people talk about on the forums were shot with the keyboard.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I would think that 1moa would be accurate enough to take any varmint out to the effective range of the .223.
    I have shot many crows and groundhogs with a rifle that would do about 1moa.
    I think that most of the 1/2 moa groups people talk about on the forums were shot with the keyboard.

Zing!!!!!!! :)

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    You have a 1 in 9 barrel, but how long is it? A heavier than 55gr bullet in a 16" will probably lose accuracy, however if you have say a 22" barrel then you may be able to pull it off.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Maybe it's just a 1 moa rifle.

Aside from that, what are your groups sizes with other rifles.

Are you as comfortable behind this one? Is the trigger as good?

I think limiting to 55gr is a bit of a stretch, bout I seriously doubt there is any possibility of stabilizing a 77gr MK out of a 1/9 twist. I would test up to 62gr, but varmint rounds tend to be longer because of the cavity.

Have you tried Fmj or M855. I've heard of some people getting real good results. Won't get the "explosive" expansion that varmint rounds offer, but will do the job.

What type of varmints do you plan to hunt?

I'll also agree that as long as your not hunting something particularly small, 1moa should be fine out to 200 yards or so. That's still only 2" and good enough to lay down coons and possums on up to coyotes.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Maybe it's just a 1 moa rifle.
    good?

I think limiting to 55gr is a bit of a stretch, bout I seriously doubt there is any possibility of stabilizing a 77gr MK out of a 1/9 twist. I would test up to 62gr, but varmint rounds tend to be longer because of the cavity.

I agree could just be an moa rifle.

What bullets are longer? A lot of varmint bullets are light jacketed and light weight for caliber even. Only bullets that are typically longer for given weight is monolithic or guilding types.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    A lot of ballistic tips because the material is lighter than lead. I'm not saying they all are, many varmint rounds are stubby and more blunt faced with a large cavity, but with the popularity of long range varmint hunting more bullets are coming out with Higher BCs as a goal which can and many times does equal "long for weight" bullets.

Still don't really think a 55gr would be stretched to a length that 1/9 couldn't handle. Just not enough to work with.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    You may lawfully harvest deer in Texas with a .223/5.56 rifle/carbine. It is up to you choose the correct ammunition for the task. Using a lightweight varmint round would be a poor choice for a larger animal. Let your conscience be your guide and be ethical in the harvest of game.

MrBigIron

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2014
    I dunno if the rules have changed or are different here in Texas, but in the mid-'80s in eastern Oregon you could hunt varmints with whatever you wanted. I've seen .300 Win Mag used on rock chucks, and .22 LR used on coyotes. I never had much sympathy for varmints, so I'd even shoot ground squirrels with a shotgun occasionally (or crows with the the Model 94). As long as it killed the varmint I didn't much care. Although cost would be a factor nowadays (probably not for the .223 though).

Then again, we had plenty of wide open space with canyons and rolling hills as backstops.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Midway dogtown bullets in 55gr hp work well in my rifle.
    Usually out of stock though.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    A lot of ballistic tips because the material is lighter than lead. I'm not saying they all are, many varmint rounds are stubby and more blunt faced with a large cavity, but with the popularity of long range varmint hunting more bullets are coming out with Higher BCs as a goal which can and many times does equal "long for weight" bullets.

Still don't really think a 55gr would be stretched to a length that 1/9 couldn't handle. Just not enough to work with.

True most "varmint" labeled bullets aren't that long the 1:9 won't stabilize it. It could be the rifle just doesn't like the particular bullet which happens at times.

Top Bottom