Military Camp

Ankle pain/swelling when walking. Any ideas?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Willy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    Ellis County
    Gout maybe?

I'll second that.

Gout started in my big toes when I was 30. I also found when I started jogging, after about 1 1/2 miles, my ankle started swelling and I had to limp home. I have now been dealing with gout for 17 years. I have flare-ups about 2-4 times/year. Flare-ups are usually in my big toes or ankles. I gave up on running, and I used to run marathons. I take allopurinol every day to keep it in check and do colchrys or steroids when it flares up. After a while Indocyn started making my stomach upset.

You had it nailed on the OP. Gout is a buildup of uric acid in the blood stream. When your blood is saturated with the acid, crystals form in the joints of your lower extremities. When I break it up with medicine, I can feel cramping and burning in my calves at times. Get a blood test for uric acid and you will know for sure.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    How long has this been going on? Any injury prior to this? Rolled ankle, step funny, fall... You start a running regimen for your workouts? Increase intensity of work outs?

Could be 1 of a million things. Simple like shim splints from over use to stress fractures to heart disease. If it's been ongoing for a while and you have tried the rest, ice .... routine it's time to go see a doc. Google may be a helpful for a lot of things, medical advise isn't one of them.

It just happens every once in a while for a few days when I work out a lot. I started regularly walking 3 miles every day and sometimes 2-3 times its only when Im walking to work out which is weird I can walk around the store all day with no problems. It starts in my shin muscles and goes into the ankle ligaments its not the bones. I don't have any injuries, but I am a fat ass so I figured its just that honestly.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Way back, when I was physically able to, I used to do a Lot of running, jogging, and walking. And I used to get shin splints and cramps fairly often. The "cure" for me, was to cut way down on red meat, eat higher potassium laden foods, more fruits of the citrus type and watermelon. I also started drinking Gatorade more often to replenish the electrolytes and sodium, etc. I was losing. And I added a LOT more water to my diet and some stretching exercises as well. Along with those was a change in footwear that was designed for running and jogging. And Not the cowboy boots, work boots, or beater tennis shoes I usually wore.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Ive been eating a ton of chicken and turkey so maybe the change could be doing something? I know I need more potassium though I have electrolyte pills I take so maybe they'll start working here pretty quickly.

Also I'm sure being 6'6 340 has nothing to do with it....

Last edited:

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    I used to pretty much live in my cowboy boots as well, unless I was running or jogging. With the swelling you're speaking of, and I'm Not a doctor, I'd say a trip to the doc IS in order. Just to be safe and or in case.

Or it just might be heel strain /stress of the raised heel of the boot. Might ask the doc. when you're there.

Top Bottom