• ...and so much more!
  • RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    Yep, I only meant to add info. Wasn’t trying to correct you or anything, hope it didn’t come across that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not at all, heck correct away on me, lol. I don't pretend to be an expert on anything, just another aviation nerd, I enjoy these kinds of conversations.
    Lynx Defense

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Not at all, heck correct away on me, lol. I don't pretend to be an expert on anything, just another aviation nerd, I enjoy these kinds of conversations.

Honestly, I’d know very little if I hadn’t spent so much time in the A10 on Digitial Combat Simulator, and a little bit in the Frogfoot.

Funny enough, it’s the civilian civilian branch of Eagle Dynamics who also do government military simulators, and their development team is in Moscow. But technically based on Sweden IIRC, and the owner of the company lives in the UK.

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    I've got DCS but mostly play IL-2, still stuck in WWII. Eventually I'll get around to learning the systems of one of the DCS modules. The F-15 is one I've been wanting to try, might have to set some time aside over the weekend. All the button mapping looks like a tough job, I'll probably spend most of my time just getting that right from the looks of it.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I've got DCS but mostly play IL-2, still stuck in WWII. Eventually I'll get around to learning the systems of one of the DCS modules. The F-15 is one I've been wanting to try, might have to set some time aside over the weekend. All the button mapping looks like a tough job, I'll probably spend most of my time just getting that right from the looks of it.

Yeah, I mostly like the full fidelity stuff because clicking switches in the cockpit saves a lot of binding.

I started with WW2 but crept in to modern stuff with some other guys I fly with. There’s an online Server that’s all Cold War era that I’ve been enjoying, but usually flying around in a Huey picking up downs pilots. I’m terrible in the Cold War fighters. Maybe slightly less terrible in the others.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Is there still a SR-71 on display at Lackland?

The museum website won’t open on any of my devices. Is the museum even still there and open?

1. Yep. See below.

20201120_144350.jpg

2. What "museum" are you talking about? There is small base museum that follows the history of Lackland and basic training, but if you're talking about the Security Police/Forces museum, it's been closed for a while.

If you're talking about the Lackland Parade Field/air park, it's not only there but the Vietnam-era planes that were standing near the Valley High gate have been added to the northernmost section of the field (they are not visible yet on GoogleMaps, but they are on Bing Maps and GoogleEarth has 3-D versions of them!).
    1657498472444.png

1657498588110.png

However, you will need DoD credentials or a sponsor with a valid DoD ID card to get on base. It is not open to the general public.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    1. Yep. See below.

View attachment 331401

2. What "museum" are you talking about? There is small base museum that follows the history of Lackland and basic training, but if you're talking about the Security Police/Forces museum, it's been closed for a while.

If you're talking about the Lackland Parade Field/air park, it's not only there but the Vietnam-era planes that were standing near the Valley High gate have been added to the northernmost section of the field (they are not visible yet on GoogleMaps, but they are on Bing Maps and GoogleEarth has 3-D versions of them!).
    View attachment 331402

View attachment 331403

However, you will need DoD credentials or a sponsor with a valid DoD ID card to get on base. It is not open to the general public.
    Looking around online one website mentioned a museum for that bird, hence why I said that.

No mil ID these days for me. I’ll have to look into other locations to show the kids.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Looking around online one website mentioned a museum for that bird, hence why I said that.

No mil ID these days for me. I’ll have to look into other locations to show the kids.

This page is your friend: https://www.sr-71.org/blackbird/locations.php

There’s 2 at the National Museum of the Air Force at Wright Patterson in Ohio and that’s open to the public. As is the one at Eglin’s Air Armament Museum and then there’s the one at Udvar-Hazy Center of the Smithsonian.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station

There’s 2 at the National Museum of the Air Force at Wright Patterson in Ohio and that’s open to the public. As is the one at Eglin’s Air Armament Museum and then there’s the one at Udvar-Hazy Center of the Smithsonian.
    Yes sir, saw that. Those are all a pretty good drive, was looking for a day trip with the kids.

Looks like Barksdale is probably outdoors too.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Yes sir, saw that. Those are all a pretty good drive, was looking for a day trip with the kids.

Looks like Barksdale is probably outdoors too.

Barksdale will also require a DoD ID card (or sponsor) to get on the base. Not only do they have a nice little museum, but an array of bombers to include a British Vulcan!

1657502760627.png

I forget they also have a SR-71, as well as some other nice static displays including this beaut!

1657502616204.png

For bonus points, can you tell me what makes this Hog so special?

Best to find a retiree who will be willing to sponsor you on base!

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas

also one at Boeing Field Seattle which you can climb into the cockpit!

Top Bottom