• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    It’s tough, but you can do it. I myself quit April 24, 2017, and I know how hard it is. Stick with it. The first 3-4 days are the worst; once you get past that, it’s much easier. Some night sweats and interesting dreams if going cold turkey, but those are short lived. I smoked for 27 years prior to that, so it was ingrained in all I did. Coffee in the morning without a cigarette took some getting used to. You will feel better. If there was a propensity for “allergies” sinus infections or bronchitis, you may see those infections subside. Plus, the $ saved will be like a pay raise.
    Coffee with Kahlua & heavy cream will get me to forget cigarettes.

Jarine88

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 24, 2018
    Tomball
    Quitting tobacco is difficult. I dipped for decades. After, trying to quit and telling a lot of folks I had, I snuck it for years. I was finally able to quit and haven't had a dip in 4-5 years.

Now, gin - that's another story! Hmmm. Is it five o'clock, yet?

I have quit dipping a few times over the last 35 years. The last dip I had was Dec 30th, 2019. I still miss it.

Just 1 dip and it will be years before I try to quit again. Hanging in there.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Numerous times I tried to quit, using various methods. None worked. I'm convinced there is no way that I can successfully quit, so instead, I have placed limits on how much I allow myself to smoke. So I took a 3+ pack a day habit to about half a pack and that is about as good as it will ever get for me.I can live with that. I'm not going to complain, because I knew the dangers of smoking when I started, and knew they would shorten my lifespan at the end anyways.

FNORD

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    HOUSTON
    Four packs of menthols a day for twelve years.

I was was either going to have to buy another carton or quit. I threw the last five cigarettes in the pack at the Kountze Silsbee Y on October 5, 1985.

No cravings.

But I do remember the where and when. Hmmmm

I did having a compelling reason however.

Oh, I’m betting on you.

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    Smoked my last one around 7:30 this morning. Just starting to look for one.

If I stay out of bars when drinking it’s easier. The wife smokes Marlboro Black and they just plain stink.

For lots of years I only smoked during the renfest. Most of those that really knew me could predict it pretty go just watching me.

I always tried to stop the last day I worked renfest by running out.

Stopping ain’t hard not restarting is hard.

I was finally able to stay quit, so you csn do it too.
    If you could get your wife to quit at the same time that would make it a lot less difficult.
    Be prepared to buy a longer belt, but that's still better than smoking.
    ... It funny, (not ha ha funny) one doesn't realize how awful they stink until one quits.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Quitting chewing and dipping Copenhagen was tough. But it’s doable. My mouth is happy about it. Breath is better, no sores on my gums.

But I was an angry dude for about 3 weeks. Started to get easier after 3 weeks.

Jarine88

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 24, 2018
    Tomball
    Be prepared to buy a longer belt, but that's still better than smoking.

Yeah. I packed on 35lbs in 3 months this last time and have been loosing the battle to lose the weight for the last 2 years. I didn’t gain weight during Covid, but I couldn’t drop the rapid weight I added just before lockdowns either.

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    The Big Town
    As others have said it ain't hard to quit. Once you really make the decision it is easy. At least it was for me. Smoked for 40+ years and decided to quit when I retired. I had my last smoke on December 9, 2018, sometimes I miss it a little but not enough to restart. So once you have decided to quit the rest is easy. Getting over addiction is hard to do but mostly mental.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Four packs of menthols a day for twelve years.

I was was either going to have to buy another carton or quit. I threw the last five cigarettes in the pack at the Kountze Silsbee Y on October 5, 1985.

No cravings.

But I do remember the where and when. Hmmmm

I did having a compelling reason however.

Oh, I’m betting on you.
    How do you have time to smoke 4 packs a day?!

Congrats.

Top Bottom