• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    got a couple of cheap chinese 2 watt dualband handsets on the way, anyone have a suggestion on a decent (not super high end) base set?

or better yet, anyone have an old set for sale? if so drop me a PM
    Texas SOT

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    2 hours and 12 minutes till test time!

jsut scored 3 - 97% scores on online practice tests...

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Charlie Called it.

didn't realize if you passed you can just keep taking tests, i would have studied for the General at least a little bit.

my pal Vash actually passed the Tech, and then turned around and passed the general. I needed 4 more questions right i think to pass that one.

but yep, got my Tech. once my call sign posts online i'll be trying to make my chinese handset do tricks. I think i've got it properly programmed for all the repeaters near here, but cant test till i get the Call sign

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    Interested in getting licenced myself, anyone in the BCS area that would be willing to help me out, not sure what i need to do or where to get the materials to study.

tango5seven

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    DFW
    Radio shack has a couple of books that are good.

There is a big hamfest in belton every year but i am not sure of the dates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk when i should have been doing something useful

BigHoss

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2011
    East Texas (Brownsboro)
    Good for you RetArmySgt (and, BTW...if I've never told you, thank you for your faithful service for our freedoms!). I don't live local to you, but it is rather easy to do. If interested, begin looking at info on QRZ.com and ARRL.org. You will want to join once you have earned your call sign.

Pick up the Ham Radio License Manual Revised 2nd Edition (ARRL :: Licensing, Education & Training :: Ham Radio License Manual Revised 2nd Edition) from Barnes & Nobel or order it online. The info is spot on, the tests are great...and when you are ready to take your test, if you don't find someone there to give it to you...let me know and I can probably find someone there that can.

Please let me know if I can be of any other help...

bcannon87

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2011
    East Texas
    Interested in getting licenced myself, anyone in the BCS area that would be willing to help me out, not sure what i need to do or where to get the materials to study.
    As BigHoss said it is very easy today and on top of the ARRL.com license manuals check out QRZ.COM Practice Amateur Radio Exams after you have studied and take some of there practice tests. And if you have any questions at all do not hesitate to let me know. I sent ya a PM BTW.

KF5KEA

Radioman93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Texas
    I am not in the BCS area but kinda close. I am on the Northern Outskirts of Houston. If you have a lot of questions or whatnot we can always meet somewhere in the middle for lunch or dinner some weekend.

As far as study materials, I used the ARRL study manuals. I looked at some of the others but I was never really impressed with them. ARRL study guides and manuals are pretty well written and have explanations that most people that are not technical can understand. If you do not have any experience with basic electronics (cant figure out how to wire in a car stereo) then you might want to also pick up a basic electronics handbook also.

Once you are studying and getting ready to take your test go ahead and order the ARRL Handbook ARRL Operating Manual and ARRL Antenna book. Once you have these three books they usually dont change a whole ton but I would suggest that you update them every 5 years or at a minimum every time you renew your license (10 yrs). Those three books cover pretty much everything a little bit, the handbook also has a good section on RFI and how to get rid of it. This is something that you will need if you setup a base station at you house. Then if you want to say go more in depth in packet or PSK31 or any other digital mode you could research it on the internet and/or pick up the ARRL book for that specific area. It will go into more depth than the Handbook and some even come with some free software to help you get started. The Operating Manual will give you a good overview of all the modes currently published and some good do's and don'ts to operating most modes. The Antenna Book will give you a good selection of antenna projects for every band and at the front of the book an overview of antenna theory and how to check an antenna for proper operation. All three are good to have around your station.

No I dont work for the ARRL either. I just like some of their products. If you need a hand or have questions let me know.

Radioman

Top Bottom