• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I run one of the little Cobras (Cobra 75 WXST) in the Jeep with a remote speaker. It lets me save space and I can lock up the handset in my vault. It kinda sucks for the price, but I only usually use it when caravaning to camping locations off the beaten path. I don't have to reach out real far with it so it fills me needs.

I used to leave it on all the time on 19 but got tired of the ridiculous and constant banter by idiots out there.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I used to be into that stuff, but it kinda got set aside. Too many hobbies I guess... Will keep an eye on this thread, tho. It still interests me.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    I keep a CB radio running in the cave.

Can hear chatter on I-35 and I-10 north of SA.

Can't believe what I hear: Fore Sale: Hookers here, and DVD's there.

There is one fellow, "Radio Ranger" who gives hell to all the "Diesel Dummies" on the road.

Rock On.

Be well.

n5wd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2011
    Foat Wuth
    ...decided to ask if anyone on here runs a CB or a HAM station.

Yup - been a ham since high school days, more than 40 years ago. Talking with the guys/girls up in the Station is pretty cool. I've had three such QSOs, two with Russions operating RS0ISS (the ham rig in the Russian segment of ISS), and once when I was attending a conference at the Johnson Space Center - chatted with NA1SS (the ham station in the American segment) in a three-way QSO for almost 25 minutes real late at night. It was so cool - nobody else was on, apparently - though it helped that the guy who trains the astronauts on ham techniques and manages the ham operations on ISS was the third party in the QSO and we had coordinated the QSO earlier that night.

Wayne N5WD

Radioman93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Texas
    Back in Junior High my dad made me get my novice HAM license. No clue if thats still good or not. Anyone know if you lose it if you don't use it?

The license is only good for 10 years then you have to renew. If your license is expired more than two years then you have to restart the testing from the beginning. If it has been expired for less than two years you just need to file the renewal paperwork. Its free to renew unless you have a Vanity call sign then there is the vanity call sign fee. I happen to be an Extra (highest license class).

If you are not sure about the year that you got your license or you know when and its been expired less than two years but you do not remember your call sign you can go to the FCC website and do a license search for your full name and you should find all of the information that you need to renew or verify if you are more than two years past expiration. If you want that link PM me and I'll send it to you. Hopefully you renew or retest and get your license back. It really is an interesting hobby and with the sunspot cycle on the increase HF is really getting to be fun.

Radioman

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Yup - been a ham since high school days, more than 40 years ago. Talking with the guys/girls up in the Station is pretty cool. I've had three such QSOs, two with Russions operating RS0ISS (the ham rig in the Russian segment of ISS), and once when I was attending a conference at the Johnson Space Center - chatted with NA1SS (the ham station in the American segment) in a three-way QSO for almost 25 minutes real late at night. It was so cool - nobody else was on, apparently - though it helped that the guy who trains the astronauts on ham techniques and manages the ham operations on ISS was the third party in the QSO and we had coordinated the QSO earlier that night.

Wayne N5WD

that is probably the coolest thing posted so far on TGT that i have read.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    In the ham radio world, the conversations are standard English (unless you're proficient in some foreign language). NOT CB lingo. They'll run you off the the air if you start talking goofy CB crap! Or you can always communicate CW (continuous wave) which is morse code.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    In the ham radio world, the conversations are standard English (unless you're proficient in some foreign language). NOT CB lingo. They'll run you off the the air if you start talking goofy CB crap! Or you can always communicate CW (continuous wave) which is morse code.

Yep! i can believe that.
    Stands to reason when you are trying to make a contact across the damn globe you don't want to be googling wtf a "concrete fox" is.

BigHoss

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2011
    East Texas (Brownsboro)
    Amature Radio Oper (Ham) here . . . PM me if you have any questions or need anything!

Good luck on the test soon, you will enjoy it and any reading prior to should help you master the quiz . . . !

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Amature Radio Oper (Ham) here . . . PM me if you have any questions or need anything!

Good luck on the test soon, you will enjoy it and any reading prior to should help you master the quiz . . . !

Thanks! i havent scored less that 85% on EHAM.com's practice tech exam the last 15 tries

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    here is the police sketch...

ST-Pile.JPG

Top Bottom