• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Cheapest tool with throttle body relearn is $235.00. I would advise against buying one unless you plan to use this tool regularly. It's even possible that the tool won't work with your truck. Make a few phone calls to local shops and I'll bet you'll be on your way for less than the price of the tool. There could also be other unknown factors involved since none of us are actually looking at cvgunman's car in person.

For something as simple as this procedure, most shops would probably just charge about an hours labor to do the relearn. Maybe even less.
    Military Camp

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    By the way, you can thank the EPA for the buildup in your throttle body. In the old days we had valve cover breathers, along with the PCV system (check valve) they vented the acidic oil vapor and pressure to the atmosphere. The EPA has decided that those vapors can no longer be released into the air and now they require that the vapor is vented into your intake manifold and burned along with the fuel. This is why you have that build up around the throttle body, it's oil. If you look inside your intake it will be coated with oil along with the valves and piston crowns. Honestly, I guess it's better for it to end up there than us ending up with major smog and pollution in the air.

I run an oil accumulator on all of my vehicles. This is on my 18 Silverado 5.3. It's just a simple mesh accumulator that catches the oil before it gets to the throttle body, it won't stop all of it but it gets a lot.
    rfnbEGO.jpg

Here's what's in there now after just checking, all of that would be in my engine if not for this little guy. The more you put your foot in it the more oil will be ingested into your intake. As you can see, I have a bit of a lead foot. ;)
    4S8Oqz3.jpg

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Try a local mechanic, it shouldn't cost you much and they'll be able to do it quickly if they're not too busy. I'd try to avoid a GM dealership, most good shops will have that tool. Avoid chain shops like Firestone etc. unless you happen to know they have a good mech.

Around here, all the non-dealer shops have raised their rates to match the dealers.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    By the way, you can thank the EPA for the buildup in your throttle body. In the old days we had valve cover breathers, along with the PCV system (check valve) they vented the acidic oil vapor and pressure to the atmosphere. The EPA has decided that those vapors can no longer be released into the air and now they require that the vapor is vented into your intake manifold and burned along with the fuel. This is why you have that build up around the throttle body, it's oil. If you look inside your intake it will be coated with oil along with the valves and piston crowns. Honestly, I guess it's better for it to end up there than us ending up with major smog and pollution in the air.

I run an oil accumulator on all of my vehicles. This is on my 18 Silverado 5.3. It's just a simple mesh accumulator that catches the oil before it gets to the throttle body, it won't stop all of it but it gets a lot.
    rfnbEGO.jpg

Here's what's in there now after just checking, all of that would be in my engine if not for this little guy. The more you put your foot in it the more oil will be ingested into your intake. As you can see, I have a bit of a lead foot. ;)
    4S8Oqz3.jpg

Those actually work pretty good. Makes you wonder why the factory hasn't done it. Keeps the oil and other gunk out out of the environment, but also keeps most of it out of the throttle body as well.

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    Around here, all the non-dealer shops have raised their rates to match the dealers.

Yeah probably $50.00 plus an hour. That's why I still do all of my own mechanical work, that and I don't trust most of the guys doing the work these days. Not that you can't find a good mechanic but I've worked with these guys and seen some stuff, let's just leave it at that, lol. A lot of people just don't take pride in the work they do anymore. I do it myself so I know it's done correctly and I've gone the extra mile to keep things clean and tidy.

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    Those actually work pretty good. Makes you wonder why the factory hasn't done it. Keeps the oil and other gunk out out of the environment, but also keeps most of it out of the throttle body as well.

I'm thinking they don't include them due to the fact that it's another system that could go wrong. If someone were to forget to empty the accumulator it would backflow into the engine and cause rough idle problems. It's also possible that the oil lines could leak as well and that could cause a fire hazard. Just not enough of a benefit for the auto makers to risk their reputations. Most people today don't even keep a car past five years anyway and aren't concerned about engine longevity, it's all about the latest and greatest thing.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Yeah probably $50.00 plus an hour. That's why I still do all of my own mechanical work, that and I don't trust most of the guys doing the work these days. Not that you can't find a good mechanic but I've worked with these guys and seen some stuff, let's just leave it at that, lol. A lot of people just don't take pride in the work they do anymore. I do it myself so I know it's done correctly and I've gone the extra mile to keep things clean and tidy.

Totally agree. At least in a smaller town, the "shade tree" mechanics are pretty well known, and decent shops won't even hire them. Word of mouth still carries a lot of weight in smaller towns too.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I do as much as I can and have time for. But if it requires that $10k computer...

Thankfully, other than oil changes (which I do myself on the personal vehicles) my cars/trucks seldom require any repairs.

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    Well I finally got it fixed!
    Called around and found a guy a mile from home. He used to work at the dealership and is on his own now. He hooked up his Snap-on machine and cleared the codes, but there was nothing to adjust he idle. Must be on newer vehicles. Anyhow, it seemed to be a vacuum leak, but he could not find one. Finally he checked the throttle position and it was at 3 degrees open (hence a vacuum leak). There is a screw that he backed out to allow the butterfly valve to close to 0 degrees and the vacuum leak went away and the idle came back to normal. I don't think anything else I could have tried would have netted this conclusion. In the end, I offered him $100.00 for his time and help and he only would accept $50.00 (and was hesitant to accept that). We stood around and BS'd for another hour or so after. Glad I found him and he's close so any future problem/issues I know where to go.
    Thanks to all for the help! @RedArmy I like the oil catch you have there. As you pointed out, the intake is full of gunk. I may put one of these on. My initial quest in all of this was to clean all the crap out of the intake along with the throttle body. All in a days work :)

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    Well I finally got it fixed!
    Called around and found a guy a mile from home. He used to work at the dealership and is on his own now. He hooked up his Snap-on machine and cleared the codes, but there was nothing to adjust he idle. Must be on newer vehicles. Anyhow, it seemed to be a vacuum leak, but he could not find one. Finally he checked the throttle position and it was at 3 degrees open (hence a vacuum leak). There is a screw that he backed out to allow the butterfly valve to close to 0 degrees and the vacuum leak went away and the idle came back to normal. I don't think anything else I could have tried would have netted this conclusion. In the end, I offered him $100.00 for his time and help and he only would accept $50.00 (and was hesitant to accept that). We stood around and BS'd for another hour or so after. Glad I found him and he's close so any future problem/issues I know where to go.
    Thanks to all for the help! @RedArmy I like the oil catch you have there. As you pointed out, the intake is full of gunk. I may put one of these on. My initial quest in all of this was to clean all the crap out of the intake along with the throttle body. All in a days work :)

And this is precisely why I recommended to not do anything rash like buying a tool that would not have worked in this case. That was a simple fix that was only able to be diagnosed in person. Glad you found a good honest mechanic too. Not wanting to accept a payment is the mark of a good mechanic and a good person to boot. Glad you're back on the road!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    This whole situation had him perplexed and quite honestly, I don't think he wanted to charge me, he just wanted to figure out what the f was going on. He likes to hunt too, so may end up hog hunting soon. Glad this happened to the truck, need to meet more folks.

Get him to join the forum!

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I plan on going by his shop next week, will talk to him about it.
    Stay tuned for my next endeavor...going to change out the transmission fluid and filter. Seems straight forward, but with me, anything's possible :)
    Unless you have been changing the transmission fluid on a regular basis, this may not be a good idea with that many miles on it.

Top Bottom