• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Red Army is correct. If the quick and simple methods didn't work, A GM technician is going to have to hook the scan tool to relearn it. The can also check to see if there is an updated software package for the ECM as well.

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    I plan to call tomorrow morning and make a one way trip to somewhere to have reset. Sure miss the good old days with lots of room under the hood and no computers.

Try a local mechanic, it shouldn't cost you much and they'll be able to do it quickly if they're not too busy. I'd try to avoid a GM dealership, most good shops will have that tool. Avoid chain shops like Firestone etc. unless you happen to know they have a good mech.

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    Try a local mechanic, it shouldn't cost you much and they'll be able to do it quickly if they're not too busy. I'd try to avoid a GM dealership, most good shops will have that tool. Avoid chain shops like Firestone etc. unless you happen to know they have a good mech.
    I'm going to check out 3 sources. Neighbor around the corner is former mechanic, but think he's on vacation. Going to walk the dog around the block and check. Guy across the street had mobile mechanic come to him a couple of weeks ago. Going to get his number and find out his fee and if he can do it. Lastly, I will drive it to a small shop a few miles away and see if they can do it (after calling of course). I hate cranking the engine over and having it hit those high rpm's while cold. Prefer if I can get someone reasonable to come to me.
    Thanks for all the tips/info. Was hoping @TexMex247 would chime in :)

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    See if vatozone or o really's has the scanner in their loan a tool thingy.
    The one they have will just read the codes. The one needed has the ability to manipulate the ECM (computer) to reset the idle and throttle. Had thought about buying one, but don't have the necessary 4-5K lying around. If I did, sure would get a nice thermal instead :)

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    The one they have will just read the codes. The one needed has the ability to manipulate the ECM (computer) to reset the idle and throttle. Had thought about buying one, but don't have the necessary 4-5K lying around. If I did, sure would get a nice thermal instead :)
    Well. Dangit!

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Did you disconnect the battery while you did all this? Check all connections?

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

Then they just have the glorified code reader scan tool. You need the "bi-directional" scan tool that can change different parameters within the ECM.

As Red Army mentioned, most decent auto repair shops should have one. Snap-On, Matco and Mac tools carry them. My brother has the older Snap-On scan tool at his shop.

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    Then they just have the glorified code reader scan tool. You need the "bi-directional" scan tool that can change different parameters within the ECM.

As Red Army mentioned, most decent auto repair shops should have one. Snap-On, Matco and Mac tools carry them. My brother has the older Snap-On scan tool at his shop.
    Road trip!

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Well I would start with a hard reset, which is disconnecting both terminals and holding the negative and positive terminals together for at least 10 seconds. Neither touching the battery itself.

Also, it truly would never hurt to pull codes. You very well could have a vacuum leak. Last option would be a snap on or other scan tool with the relearn option .

Last edited:

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    Well I would start with a hard reset, which is disconnecting both terminals and holding the negative and positive terminals together for at least 10 seconds. Neither touching the battery itself.

Also, it truly would never hurt to pull codes. You very well could have a vacuum leak. Last option would be a snap on on other scan tool with the relearn option .
    I will give the hard reset a try. I only disconnected the negative throughout. Will pull them both.
    Keep you posted if any change.

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    Cheapest tool with throttle body relearn is $235.00. I would advise against buying one unless you plan to use this tool regularly. It's even possible that the tool won't work with your truck. Make a few phone calls to local shops and I'll bet you'll be on your way for less than the price of the tool. There could also be other unknown factors involved since none of us are actually looking at cvgunman's car in person. I'm going with the manual throttle body relearn being required. Those old ECM's are pretty clunky compared to todays electronics.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Love to shoot
    Top Bottom