Target Sports

Anybody ever handled / fired a TISAS Classic 1911?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    Picked up one a few weeks ago fit and function is on par with the ria. The finish on it is a true black, not blued or parked. Mine needs more rds put through it before i can say if itsinternals are of any quality though

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm sure it's a rebranded RIA/Armscor 1911, just like all the rest of the cheapos. Cheap 1911's just generally never work right out of the box, and usually need some sort of work. Why waste the time, honestly? I mean, it's one thing if a person intends on modifying it, upgrading internals with quality components, etc. but it's my understanding that people have found a lot of these cheap 1911's to even occasionally have out of spec frames, making things considerably more difficult. A Springfield GI / GI Milspec can be had for not much more, and is much more of a known quality for an entry level 1911.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    TISAS 1911 are made in Turkey. RIA products are made in the Phillipines, if I remember correctly. I received a notice from Bud's Gun Store yesterday. One of the items they featured was this TISAS 1911. I did an internet search for information and didn't find any reviews. A couple were listed on GunBroker.com for $374, but they had been sold. They are probably crudely made 1911s which will be fun to shoot but maybe not very realiable. Actual owner feedback would be interesting.

As far as buying one to modify, I say don't waste your money. Take the money you would spend on a cheap 1911, add in the cost of the upgrades and just go buy a production 1911 in that price range. You will never get your money back when you upgrade a cheap 1911s. I found out the hard way on a Colt 1911 a few years ago. I bought a Colt 1911A1 Combat Government model then upgraded it with a Barsto National Match Barrel and bushing [gunsmith fitted], Wilson Combat ignition parts, and finally had the slide refitted. Once I was finished, I had about $1,200 invested in the pistol. Best offer I got when I thought about selling it was $750. The pistol shoots great, but I should have bought a Les Baer or something equivalent.

Last edited by a moderator:

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    As far as buying one to modify, I say don't waste your money. Take the money you would spend on a cheap 1911, add in the cost of the upgrades and just go buy a production 1911 in that price range. You will never get your money back when you upgrade a cheap 1911s. I found out the hard way on a Colt 1911 a few years ago. I bought a Colt 1911A1 Combat Government model then upgraded it with a Barsto National Match Barrel and bushing [gunsmith fitted], Wilson Combat ignition parts, and finally had the slide refitted. Once I was finished, I had about $1,200 invested in the pistol. Best offer I got when I thought about selling it was $750. The pistol shoots great, but I should have bought a Les Baer or something equivalent.

Exactly my experience and my advice.

If you just want a cheap 1911, then by all means buy one. But don't buy a cheap one thinking you can upgrade it to the level of a quality pistol and ever hope to get your money back out of it.

droppointalpha

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Santa Ana, Texas
    I remember when people were saying the same things about RIA/Armscor. And yet what is an RIA going for these days? As much as a Springfield? The quality turned out to be pretty good (better than the last Colt I dealt with... Oh, btw did you know Armscor was ISO 9001 certified in 1997? Colt didn't did get their crap together until 2003). And surprise surprise, who uses Armscor frames to build high end race guns? STI. And others but under contracts to not reveal their supplier. The fact of the matter is when I picked up one, I simply wanted a classic GI with no frills (ie no series 70/80 crap, extended this, beaver that, full length whatever) and no extras. Only Armscor supplied that and in a package with a reasonable price.

If you just want a cheap 1911, then by all means buy one. But don't buy a cheap one thinking you can upgrade it to the level of a quality pistol and ever hope to get your money back out of it.

As far as buying one to modify, I say don't waste your money. Take the money you would spend on a cheap 1911, add in the cost of the upgrades and just go buy a production 1911 in that price range.

And what the heck is this all about? First, I would hope if you are going through the effort of modifying your gun to suit you that selling it is generally off the table... And if you were wanting to sell it, why not restore the gun to its original configuration and keep the parts you put in to perhaps go to the next gun? Armscor frames are top-tier. Period. Any arguing against this is telling me that every STI gun in competition is inferior and since STI seems to be making a pretty decent race gun, b%lls#*t flag on the play. Further, I'm not sure what cost you guys imagine goes in but a beaver tail, replacement barrel, and say some adjustable sights does not come out that costly. When I acquired a RIA, the price difference between it and a Springfield was more than $250. For that, I could buy most of the gun's internals. And this right here...

I found out the hard way on a Colt 1911 a few years ago. I bought a Colt 1911A1 Combat Government model then upgraded it with a Barsto National Match Barrel and bushing [gunsmith fitted], Wilson Combat ignition parts, and finally had the slide refitted.

WHY?! What was the point? You no longer have a combat gun. It seems you never wanted a combat gun. So why select a combat gun base?

Here's that down a dirty OP. You want a race gun? Go buy a race gun. Trying to hone and fit tight-fitting competition parts is a PITA and not really worth the effort if you don't build 1911's regularly. (Ask me how I know).

You want a gun that will run and perhaps change some parts out to suit you? Get the inexpensive 1911 (it is not cheap... Jennings is cheap). The savings versus the overpriced stuff will be worth it. When you end up replacing the safety for a beaver tail model and up-grading the sights because the tiny GI sights are too hard to see (that is the complaint I get) and perhaps an extended slide release or some other minor part, you will still be FAR below the cost of other guns. If the Turk guns are anything like the RIAs, they ARE quality guns. No, they are not ultra-tight race guns but then again, if you are looking at a GI, race should be far from your mind.

All the hate on RIA (which every single one I've seen.. and that is 5 or 6 personally) ran fine right out of the box (no break in period... you'd think for $800+ they'd have a machine to wear in the gun for you) is just that. Hate. Why? No idea. Perhaps the anger comes from range sessions where people have jams with this ammo or that while the RIA next to them is eating whatever (Let you in on a secret- it is the looser tolerances like the original. Over tight guns like Sig, Les Baer, Wilson, Kimber, etc have issues here and there because there is no play to let the gun find its way... imagine what dirt and grime will do). Maybe it is simply a "Made in America" versus "import" thing. Perhaps when certain American companies stop slapping a extra $100 just because their name is on the slide, I'll buy American again. (Actually, the Caspian frame build up I am doing is all-American.. But I don't suppose that counts). Perhaps it is that evil MIM (metal injection molding). News flash, nice clean up buffing and sanding on American guns hide the fact they use a bit of MIM too. MIM is perfectly acceptable for numerous parts, imcluding non-load bearing components like ALL of the controls. These parts do not need or warrant being milled/machined from the start. A MIM with final clean up will do.

I have a feeling that these Turkish guns will be the next RIA and within 3 or 4 years will be going for $450-550, depending on model.. just like the RIA is. And everyone will be adding them to the list and whining about the next inexpensive import to hit the market. That is, until Springfield and Remington, and Colt (et al) figure out that a GI 1911 should not be $500 for no frills. (and stop with the series 70/80 crap... the 1911 never needed a firing pin block or collet bushings). Quality and simplicity... I wished the American companies had figured that out years ago when I was in the market. Maybe then I would have bought a "quality" gun Texasjack was refering to.

(PS I have noticed some American companies producing a GI spec no-frills in the last few years and the price points come down. However, I have not been in the market and thus don't remember any Pre-Sandy Hook prices)

Last edited:

droppointalpha

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Santa Ana, Texas
    Introduction? What would it matter? This is the internet. I could say anything. The truth is that I used to compete in collegiate pistol, placed in the top 100 (83 or 85), and I haven't competed seriously in years.

Second, numerous demostrations of the RIA's capability are available. Only gun snobs with their over-priced guns or competitors (w/ an obsession for absolute maximum everything-see gear head) cannot wrap their minds around the idea of a $325 (when I purchased mine) 1911 that simply works. It does not shoot match level. It does not have name-brand barrel or sights. And you know who you are. You are the douche on the firing line coming over to tell me I wasted my money and how I need this part and that brand and this other thing. You are the fool on the forums telling people that if they do not spend XXX dollars or select Y brand or whatever, they are making a bad choice. Never mind most of you will never shoot better than average RIA or Springfield. Never mind most people never put 500 rounds through their gun in their lifetime. Never mind that "top tier" guns are not needed for SHTF situations nor are they suggested (back to that tolerance thing again).

I got here just looking for some honest reviews of the Turk 1911 because I had a friend inquiring about whether it would be a good buy since he could not find a RIA like mine or my wife's. Dutifully, I set out to see what has been said so far before I go hunt one down to handle for myself. Instead, I find the same stupid commentary I read five years ago; all I needed to do was change the names in question. Why can't you people be honest? Or just shut up and not comment at all? I'm no Glock fan but when people ask, I can answer honestly.

Frankly I have never seen one. Anybody know anything about them?

The exact question. Not...
    I want to buy one and upgrade the $*&^ out of it. Is this a good idea?
    or
    I'm looking for a medium grade gun with some bells and whistles but not match grade. Would this be ok?
    or even
    I'm looking for a gun I can eventually upgrade with match components if I like it and it shoots well. Should I get this one?

Notice anything? Clue in yet? You want Gospel? Fine. Failure to answer the question. Hell, most of you don't even have the answer, as it seems (Mr. Chubbyzook being the exception). Even the admin couldn't even be bothered to do a quick search before blurting out that the gun was likely another brand of Armscor. That doesn't even make sense. Their production is going full tilt and their RIA brand is worth nearly twice what I paid for it 5 years ago. WHY would they set up a front through another country to market their guns at a lower price? Never mind some quick research shows the company-
    TÄ°SAÅž - TRABZON GUN INDUSTRY CORP.
    TÄ°SAÅž - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    -has been producing quality firearms for years in Europe and sports a pretty decent facility (ISO 9001 certification is just handed out.. surprisingly enough).

So, enough ignorance to fill a five gallon bucket and one individual with an initial impression that the gun compares well to a RIA. Given that RIA guns have an established reputation, no matter their detractors, for being quality, functional firearms, I hope that the testing Mr. Chubbyzook does bears out the internals are good to go and I welcome the news of another quality firearm on the marketplace.

And btw, post count means jack. If an admin with 5,541 posts can make such a grossly ignorant statement, then no one is immune to idiocy by post count alone.

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    Introduction? What would it matter? This is the internet. I could say anything. The truth is that I used to compete in collegiate pistol, placed in the top 100 (83 or 85), and I haven't competed seriously in years.

Second, numerous demostrations of the RIA's capability are available. Only gun snobs with their over-priced guns or competitors (w/ an obsession for absolute maximum everything-see gear head) cannot wrap their minds around the idea of a $325 (when I purchased mine) 1911 that simply works. It does not shoot match level. It does not have name-brand barrel or sights. And you know who you are. You are the douche on the firing line coming over to tell me I wasted my money and how I need this part and that brand and this other thing. You are the fool on the forums telling people that if they do not spend XXX dollars or select Y brand or whatever, they are making a bad choice. Never mind most of you will never shoot better than average RIA or Springfield. Never mind most people never put 500 rounds through their gun in their lifetime. Never mind that "top tier" guns are not needed for SHTF situations nor are they suggested (back to that tolerance thing again).

I got here just looking for some honest reviews of the Turk 1911 because I had a friend inquiring about whether it would be a good buy since he could not find a RIA like mine or my wife's. Dutifully, I set out to see what has been said so far before I go hunt one down to handle for myself. Instead, I find the same stupid commentary I read five years ago; all I needed to do was change the names in question. Why can't you people be honest? Or just shut up and not comment at all? I'm no Glock fan but when people ask, I can answer honestly.

The exact question. Not...

or

or even

Notice anything? Clue in yet? You want Gospel? Fine. Failure to answer the question. Hell, most of you don't even have the answer, as it seems (Mr. Chubbyzook being the exception). Even the admin couldn't even be bothered to do a quick search before blurting out that the gun was likely another brand of Armscor. That doesn't even make sense. Their production is going full tilt and their RIA brand is worth nearly twice what I paid for it 5 years ago. WHY would they set up a front through another country to market their guns at a lower price? Never mind some quick research shows the company-
    TÄ°SAÅž - TRABZON GUN INDUSTRY CORP.
    TÄ°SAÅž - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    -has been producing quality firearms for years in Europe and sports a pretty decent facility (ISO 9001 certification is just handed out.. surprisingly enough).

So, enough ignorance to fill a five gallon bucket and one individual with an initial impression that the gun compares well to a RIA. Given that RIA guns have an established reputation, no matter their detractors, for being quality, functional firearms, I hope that the testing Mr. Chubbyzook does bears out the internals are good to go and I welcome the news of another quality firearm on the marketplace.

And btw, post count means jack. If an admin with 5,541 posts can make such a grossly ignorant statement, then no one is immune to idiocy by post count alone.

Dude, your out of line referring to someone here like that. Were not a bunch of folks hiding behind a computer and spouting off in the dark. We eat together, go to shows together and shoot together. We respect each other, and appreciate new folks joining us. But your out of line talking like that...

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    You do know that the only STI with an Armscor frame and slide is the Spartan, which is their lowest priced "budget" 1911, right?

The race guns and all others are made in house, IIRC, so your "if armscors are crap then STI race guns are crap" logic doesn't work out, since only one of their lowest price guns use Armscor parts and not their 2011 race gun. By the way, I have faith in RIA products.

Last edited:

droppointalpha

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Santa Ana, Texas
    You do know that the only STI with an Armscor frame and slide is the Spartan, which is their lowest priced "budget" 1911, right?

The race guns and all others are made in house, IIRC, so your "if armscors are crap then STI race guns are crap" logic doesn't work out, since only one of their lowest price guns use Armscor parts and not their 2011 race gun. By the way, I have faith in RIA products.

'Budget'.. $800-950 pre-Sandy Hook or used post-Sandy Hook is a budget gun? Like Kimber and others I see in IPSC vids running about the same price tag? Either it is a common enough gun in competition (and arguably meant and sold for such use) or it is not. Since I don't see much of the gun outside of competitive sphere, I postulate that, given STI's history and marketing, it is built and meant to be a competition gun. And yes i did know the frames off the RIA line did only go straight off into the Spartan. I had meant "high-end" to refer to the price tag, not the place of the RIA frame in STI's line up. From that viewpoint, most certainly you are correct.

Dude, your out of line referring to someone here like that. Were not a bunch of folks hiding behind a computer and spouting off in the dark. We eat together, go to shows together and shoot together. We respect each other, and appreciate new folks joining us. But your out of line talking like that...

You are going to have to get specific. Though if you are referring to-
    And you know who you are. You are the douche on the firing line coming over to tell me I wasted my money and how I need this part and that brand and this other thing. You are the fool on the forums telling people that if they do not spend XXX dollars or select Y brand or whatever, they are making a bad choice. Never mind most of you will never shoot better than average RIA or Springfield.
    -then I evidently did not distinguish my use of "you know who you are" well enough to refer to individuals who do all of the above and haunt forums like these. I will not retract the statement as it is true. I've shot ASC and Arms Room as well as a few others in Houston and met people from the various gun forums. Some good. Some bad. Many with opinions based solely in the land of make believe with little basis in fact, testing, or demostration. I liked a few of them (good people with just il-founded ideas) and more than a few I didn't like (the douches-see above description).

As far as you eating together, going to shows together, and shooting together, congrats but it does not mean a dang thing. My one statement-
    -referred only to me... Actually, since we have likely never been introduced, it becomes even more so true. My qualifications to comment on other's statements is no more verifiable than a bunch of you stating you've all hung out together and know each other and agree on the previously mentioned statements.

Certainly you can't be referring to-
    If an admin with 5,541 posts can make such a grossly ignorant statement, then no one is immune to idiocy by post count alone.

In fact, it strikes me as a circling of the wagons, especially in light of the fact my statements go unanswered except one jab at whether or not the lowest-priced STI still counts as a race gun. That is a matter which may be subject to some debate and I consider it at least a fair challenge. A sampling of prices and volumes could be made and some simple math done to assess, though I think $400-600 would have been fair prior to the shooting.

But I digress. And I'm sure the comment is coming along the lines of "you know everything?" or "you never said anything ignorant". So, to head that one off at the pass, yes, when I was younger I said a lot of stupid $#*!. Now, I don't generally comment without some research (ain't the internet grand) and examination of who says what and why along with personal experience to verify. If you will notice, I have not commented on the Turkish Tisas at all, except to express hope that the quality is the same or better than RIA. I have not voiced opinion regarding its suitability for modification, upgrading, etc. (By MR. TXSUT's accounting, I would figure the OP's 4,629 posts would at least imply an understanding regarding sinking money into a budget platform, especially if he's not doing his own gunsmithing, is probably not the wisest of endeavors when a similiar investment from the outset may net a superior product for such a purpose).

Quite frankly, scarlet my dear, I don't care. I lost my patience with elements of the "gun culture" a long time ago. Bits like-
    They are probably crudely made 1911s which will be fun to shoot but maybe not very realiable.
    As far as buying one to modify, I say don't waste your money.
    -add nothing. Not even germane to the relevant question. Superfluous. Speculative.

As far as any mods/admins who may stumble by, you can go ahead and delete the account. My perusal through here tells me I'm not staying.

Last edited:

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    'Budget'.. $800-950 pre-Sandy Hook or used post-Sandy Hook is a budget gun? Like Kimber and others I see in IPSC vids running about the same price tag? Either it is a common enough gun in competition (and arguably meant and sold for such use) or it is not. Since I don't see much of the gun outside of competitive sphere, I postulate that, given STI's history and marketing, it is built and meant to be a competition gun. And yes i did know the frames off the RIA line did only go straight off into the Spartan. I had meant "high-end" to refer to the price tag, not the place of the RIA frame in STI's line up. From that viewpoint, most certainly you are correct.

You are going to have to get specific. Though if you are referring to-

-then I evidently did not distinguish my use of "you know who you are" well enough to refer to individuals who do all of the above and haunt forums like these. I will not retract the statement as it is true. I've shot ASC and Arms Room as well as a few others in Houston and met people from the various gun forums. Some good. Some bad. Many with opinions based solely in the land of make believe with little basis in fact, testing, or demostration. I liked a few of them (good people with just il-founded ideas) and more than a few I didn't like (the douches-see above description).

As far as you eating together, going to shows together, and shooting together, congrats but it does not mean a dang thing. My one statement-

-referred only to me... Actually, since we have likely never been introduced, it becomes even more so true. My qualifications to comment on other's statements is no more verifiable than a bunch of you stating you've all hung out together and know each other and agree on the previously mentioned statements.

Certainly you can't be referring to-

In fact, it strikes me as a circling of the wagons, especially in light of the fact my statements go unanswered except one jab at whether or not the lowest-priced STI still counts as a race gun. That is a matter which may be subject to some debate and I consider it at least a fair challenge. A sampling of prices and volumes could be made and some simple math done to assess, though I think $400-600 would have been fair prior to the shooting.

But I digress. And I'm sure the comment is coming along the lines of "you know everything?" or "you never said anything ignorant". So, to head that one off at the pass, yes, when I was younger I said a lot of stupid $#*!. Now, I don't generally comment without some research (ain't the internet grand) and examination of who says what and why along with personal experience to verify. If you will notice, I have not commented on the Turkish Tisas at all, except to express hope that the quality is the same or better than RIA. I have not voiced opinion regarding its suitability for modification, upgrading, etc. (By MR. TXSUT's accounting, I would figure the OP's 4,629 posts would at least imply an understanding regarding sinking money into a budget platform, especially if he's not doing his own gunsmithing, is probably not the wisest of endeavors when a similiar investment from the outset may net a superior product for such a purpose).

Quite frankly, scarlet my dear, I don't care. I lost my patience with elements of the "gun culture" a long time ago. Bits like-

-add nothing. Not even germane to the relevant question. Superfluous. Speculative.

As far as any mods/admins who may stumble by, you can go ahead and delete the account. My perusal through here tells me I'm not staying.

If we arent suitable enough for you, then you are welcome to PISS THE **** OFF. Your attitude REEKS of asshole.

sent from my dishwasher

droppointalpha

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Santa Ana, Texas
    Generally, I would have stopped here but since the below inquiry needed answering, I will.

droppointalpha, do you work for or are affiliated with Buds Gun Shop???
    No. Nor am I financially affliated in any way. I have been there before in my travels but no. I once lived south of Houston but now reside elsewhere in the state. Not sure why this would matter. As if Buds would be honestly interested in the mutterings of any one group of forumites on the web.

ol iso 9000? That's just bureaucrap bull hockey used to keep worthless paper pushers in business.
    ISO standards are involved in much of what you buy, consume, and use every day. It is not a government agency.
    Educate yourself. And no, I am not affiliated with ISO either.
    ISO Standards - ISO

If we arent suitable enough for you, then you are welcome to PISS THE **** OFF. Your attitude REEKS of asshole.
    sent from my dishwasher
    Ah.. inserting words in my mouth. Never said you weren't suitable, only that I wouldn't stay.
    (BTW, projection is the second tool of the mind, following shortly after denial)

Top Bottom