Guns International

Anybody ever handled / fired a TISAS Classic 1911?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shuutr

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 29, 2012
    austin
    Ummmm. I have am RIA and two Spartans. Great guns. Very reliable. I'd appreciate it if people wouldn't discard inexpensive 1911s. And the rating on the Tisas looks good. For $400 take a chance. If its not what you want sell it for $350 and consider it a lesson, but I don't think you'll have to worry about it. If it were a dud, someone will rate accordingly on Buds.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    ISO standards are involved in much of what you buy, consume, and use every day. It is not a government agency.
    Educate yourself. And no, I am not affiliated with ISO either.
    ISO Standards - ISO
    lol, I'm very familiar with ISO, I've written many an ISO spec. It's bureaucratic non-sense. That we did, simply to qualify to bid for a contract in Europe. We got the cert, filed the specs. And never looked at it again...

ISO standards mean nothing, when it comes to judging the quality of a product...
    If anyone asks this dude another question, I'm gonna knock their teeth out.

sorry

rgwalt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Houston Heights
    Tried a Metro Arms Amigo... thing was a jam factory, though I'm sure the issues could have been worked out by the US importer or by a gunsmith. I'm interested in a RIA Tactical, but I have a Sig Gov model that i love, and an STI Spartan Officer that is also quite nice. Not sure that the RIA would add much to my collection. The STI needs to be smoothed out, and needs a new recoil spring, but I think it is going to make a great carry gun. However, the Spartan uses STI internals on an Armscor frame.

I don't know much about Tisas, but for $400, it wouldn't be a bad gamble if you are looking for an inexpensive 1911. Just keep in mind that it is a gamble. You are an early adopter. If you get a "good one" (and they may all be good ones), then you got a great deal on a basic 1911. However, if you get problematic firearm, what is your recourse for getting the issues fixed?

Shuutr

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 29, 2012
    austin
    Buds now has 117 reviews and they're mostly great (one review less than 4 stars.... I think I'm talking myself into one

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston

i was mainly referring/joking with Acera. Trust me, I wanted to take him to task on STI using Armscor frames in their race guns....I'm sure those frames get just a wee bit more quality control and fitting than the Spartan frames do. Lol!!!

As an aside, I have enough ISO experience to know that your assessment is spot-on. It doesn't mean dick.

JMB is my Hero

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Wichita, Ks
    Just got a Tisas 1911 in last week from Buds.
    100_2091.jpg 100_2082.jpg 100_2083.jpg
    1. Basic plain jane 1911A1 with wood grips.
    2. Speaking of grips, they fit very tightly on the bushings, which are very tight on the frame.
    3. Stripped the pistol and found the trigger bow had half the side finished on the right side, will clean this up.
    4. At least there are no plastic parts on this 1911 (Spartan mainspring housing)
    5. Firing pin stop slipped out a little too easy, hope it doesn't slip on rapid fire. I like a snug fit.

Haven't got it out yet. My wife has just got her left knee replaced with new parts. Maybe this week, she can hobble around enough for some range time.

Thanks guys....GBT.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Is there a "Cheap 1911 Overly Sensitive Owners" message board that's pointing its members to this thread or what?

Shuutr

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 29, 2012
    austin
    Cheap 1911's just generally never work right out of the box, and usually need some sort of work. Why waste the time, honestly?

This line is what drew the ire of fans of inexpensive 1911 owners. People that have bought RIAs and others similarly priced 1911s in the past would likely be interested I reading about the Tisas offered by buds. Then someone posts something to crap on "cheapos" that others on this forum own. The people who may not have had an issue with their cheapos. I mentioned earlier, I own some and haven't had issues. I didnt waste time or money to get them to run. they just worked. I don't get oooohs or aaaaahs around friends about my pistols, but I hit where I aim and that's what works for me. I would rather spend $400 on a pistol and $1000 on ammo instead of the other way around. Then again I don't spend more than one day every other week at the range so your needs, wants and desires would differ from mine. I would prefer to start reading about a new option without someone taking a steaming dump on what I own.

Last edited:

duns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    lol, I'm very familiar with ISO, I've written many an ISO spec. It's bureaucratic non-sense.
    My experience is the same. Everyone works to the principles of ISO 9001 because they are just commonsense. No perceptible difference in most cases between certified and non-certified companies.

jdubb750

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Humble, Tx
    You do know that the only STI with an Armscor frame and slide is the Spartan, which is their lowest priced "budget" 1911, right?

The race guns and all others are made in house, IIRC, so your "if armscors are crap then STI race guns are crap" logic doesn't work out, since only one of their lowest price guns use Armscor parts and not their 2011 race gun. By the way, I have faith in RIA products.

you beat me too it

JMB is my Hero

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Wichita, Ks
    Range Report:
    1. Ran 130 rounds through the little beast today. No FTF or FTE's. Actually the MecGar mag worked quite well, even with a few hollow points. I also ran some rounds through an old Colt mag. Used a mix of reloads, factory ball ammo from several manufacturers, and some Hornady hydrashocks. No problems with reliablilty, so far.
    2. This is a plain Jane 1911, so the sights are are really small and dark. Not so good for old eyes. You young folks should have less of a problem picking up the target.
    3. Grouping wasn't bad. I did not personally care for the smooth wood grips. At 10 yards, 4 inch groups were the norm, and shoots a bit low.
    4. Sig_Fiend made the comment that inexpensive 1911 need work right out of the box. In a way, I have to agree with him. Change the sights and grips and spring for a trigger job, then I'd give it a full 5 stars. As is, I still wouldn't hesitate dropping it in the night stand drawer, but I have other toys for that job.

Thanks Gentlemen, and GBT.

OldFart81

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    Barn, SE San Antonio
    My 1911s, Girsan and Tisas, have been running flawlessly...I hope these Turkish guns are up to par as my 5000 round Turkish Stoeger Cougar...love em so far, all steel....my Colt and Springer been sitting around lately...

jtrade

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    This is the Tisas I got on 3/13/2013, appears and feels very well made... Grips will be swapped as well as changing the safety to a ambi but happy with it for less than $400. Plan on running a few 100 rounds through her this weekend...

Tisas_Zig_1911_01.jpg

Tisas_Zig_1911_02.jpg

My 1911s, Girsan and Tisas, have been running flawlessly...I hope these Turkish guns are up to par as my 5000 round Turkish Stoeger Cougar...love em so far, all steel....my Colt and Springer been sitting around lately...

JMB is my Hero

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Wichita, Ks
    Here's a follow up on the Tisas project:
    100_2122.jpg 100_2120.jpg 100_2114.jpg 100_2112.jpg
    1. Cleaned up the trigger pull from a gritty 7 pounds to a much smoother 4 pounds 11 ounces. (Free)
    2. Changed the arched mainspring housing to an alloy checkered flatback unit from Fusion. ($26.00)
    3. Swapped out the grip bushings for slim units, also from Fusion, with hex head screws ($10.00)
    4. Pulled the thick smooth grips and replaced them with RAASCO thin Crimson Ironwood colored Dymondwood grips, with mag release cutout. ($48.95) I have small hands.
    5. Had some Snap-On tool box touch up paint, so I painted some orange dots on the rear sights and on the front sight ramp. (Close to free, Snap-On stuff ain't cheap!)
    6. Populated the mainspring housing with left over parts from an Ed Brown rebuild kit. (I'd estimate about $4.00)

Hopefully your triggers were better than mine. I did not stone the sear/hammer surfaces, but cleaned up rough surfaces. And the Ed Brown spring did help too. Will get some trigger time next weekend. I tried to keep the budget down, but spent a few more $ on the grips. Nothing goes as planned.

Again, Thank You gentlemen, and GBT.

jtrade

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Thanks for the update, I may take some of the things you did to yours and do to mine as well. I like the grips and mainspring housing...

What did u use/do to get darn near perfect dots on the rear sight?

J

Here's a follow up on the Tisas project:
    View attachment 20038 View attachment 20039 View attachment 20040 View attachment 20041
    1. Cleaned up the trigger pull from a gritty 7 pounds to a much smoother 4 pounds 11 ounces. (Free)
    2. Changed the arched mainspring housing to an alloy checkered flatback unit from Fusion. ($26.00)
    3. Swapped out the grip bushings for slim units, also from Fusion, with hex head screws ($10.00)
    4. Pulled the thick smooth grips and replaced them with RAASCO thin Crimson Ironwood colored Dymondwood grips, with mag release cutout. ($48.95) I have small hands.
    5. Had some Snap-On tool box touch up paint, so I painted some orange dots on the rear sights and on the front sight ramp. (Close to free, Snap-On stuff ain't cheap!)
    6. Populated the mainspring housing with left over parts from an Ed Brown rebuild kit. (I'd estimate about $4.00)

Hopefully your triggers were better than mine. I did not stone the sear/hammer surfaces, but cleaned up rough surfaces. And the Ed Brown spring did help too. Will get some trigger time next weekend. I tried to keep the budget down, but spent a few more $ on the grips. Nothing goes as planned.

Again, Thank You gentlemen, and GBT.

Top Bottom