Anybody got HDPE I can buy? Looking for some about an inch thick...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by M. Sage, Sep 14, 2009.

1. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    For a little test. I'll let you know what it's about if you've got some 1" thick HDPE you can sell me at a reasonable price. :happy0001: 8x8x1 would probably suit me for now, I'd definitely buy some more depending on how the experiments go.

It'd be nice to get some before this weekend, as I'm planning on hitting the range then.

2. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Sounds like I'm not the first to try this. Thanks for the heads-up.

3. ConnRadd

ConnRadd Active Member

I'm a branch manager of a plastic distribution company. We sell HDPE all the time. I'm not the guru on this stuff, but I have a couple sales reps. that will forget more than I'll ever know about HDPE...

4. ConnRadd

ConnRadd Active Member

Thanks....
    Just last week I was talking to one of my sales reps. and he informed me that HDPE can and has been used as bullet resistant for these quickie marts.
    We had a guy come in and spend $3000.00 on the same product that I shot in to a month or so ago. His store has been robbed at gun point several times and said his life is worth the $3k. Well, the common mistake that people make is, they put BR polycarb (which is clear) above the counter, but nothing but plywood below. So, to have "low cost" BR product below the counter, you could use HDPE... So, I learned something and made me want to test it was well...

Just remember, if anyone plans to test HDPE or BR Polycarb; this is a "Bullet Resistant" product... Sometimes the bullets may come back. So, I would recommend a shield of some sort. I built one out of 3/8' polycarb, put a 6" window to shoot out of.. One of my reps. tried shooting into BR Polycarb years ago and end up getting hit in the chest by a ricochet. He was luck and it only left a nasty bruise.

5. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I'd probably shoot at a slight oblique, and at the very least from a distance that's considered safe for shooting at steel targets.

6. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
  7. ConnRadd

ConnRadd Active Member

8. Fisherman777

Fisherman777 Well-Known

Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    Thanks ConRadd! I'm sure most of the members here would rather buy from you any day than a company who may or may not be 2nd Amendment friendly. Good price too!

9. Wolfwood

Wolfwood Self Appointed Board Chauvinist TGT Supporter

May 12, 2009
    hmmm
    while we are ont he the topic conradd, what would be the best choice for a BR/BP sheild that is still fairly lightweight? like im thinking riot sheild carry around and stuff type thing...

?
    just curious...

10. ConnRadd

ConnRadd Active Member

No Problem... Just returning the help that others have given me... :happy0001: