Texas SOT

Anyone actually have experience with HiPoint?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tonyt915

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2020
    Houston
    Want to hear from people who have actually shot one or have one. I know it’s crazy talk To want one but I’ve watched the Demolition Ranch video and a couple others that torture tested the HiPoint and it just took it and kept firing. Makes me want one for a truck gun, where I wouldn’t give two shits about what happens to it. My collection has turned in to mostly high end HK and other collectible guns and with current status of the country if something was to happen I wouldn’t want to turn it over to the police. I know they are heavy, ugly, not ergonomic but I want to know if it actually goes bang every time and accurate up to 20yards. Not going for competition here just defense. I always hear,” I wouldn’t trust my life with one” but the same people have never actually shot one and are only regurgitating what they have heard from friends of friends.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Former Hi-point owner here.
    Just like you I was curious so I bought one to experiment with. I had the Compact 9 model.
    Yes, it worked. Not 100% every time but pretty close.
    Accuracy was decent at 30ft. Mine even had adjustable sights. LOL.
    Trigger sucked but then again it isn't a tuned 1911 either.
    Gun isn't friendly to tear down. Held together by a roll pin that is a pain to get out. So cleaning is normally done with slide on the frame. Tolerances are sloppy as hell so gun doesn't really need a lot of cleaning. Just bore-snake the barrel and you're good to go.
    I never shot any good HP ammo in mine. Just plain old 115grn FMJ's. It ran pretty good.
    I gotta tell ya the ergonomics on them are odd. It sure doesn't point like a Luger. Think of them as a clod.LOL.
    Overall it worked better than I thought it would.
    Hi-Point customer service is good but getting your parts is sloooow.
    For a throw down they're hard to beat.
    The best part is handing it to your snob gun friends at the range and watching them curl their lips while touching it. LMAO!
    After messing around with it, satisfying my curiousity, I decided to sell it. Resale value is very poor.

What do a Hi-Point and a big fat girl have in common?
    They're both a lot of fun to play with but you don't want any of your friends to see you doing it.

Last edited:

Mills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2020
    Texas
    I have actually shot a few, reliability seemed to be marginal.
    Visualize holding a brick with a spongy plastic trigger.
    Better than nothing.

Tonyt915

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2020
    Houston
    Former Hi-point owner here.
    Just like you I was curious so I bought one to experiment with. I had the Compact 9 model.
    Yes, it worked. Not 100% every time but pretty close.
    Accuracy was decent at 30ft. Mine even had adjustable sights. LOL.
    Trigger sucked but then again it isn't a tuned 1911 either.
    Gun isn't friendly to tear down. Held together by a roll pin that is a pain to get out. So cleaning is normally done with slide on the frame. Tolerances are sloppy as hell so gun doesn't really need a lot of cleaning. Just bore-snake the barrel and you're good to go.
    I never shot any good HP ammo in mine. Just plain old 115grn FMJ's. It ran pretty good.
    I gotta tell ya the ergonomics on them are odd. It sure doesn't point like a Luger. Think of them as a clod.LOL.
    Overall it worked better than I thought it would.
    Hi-Point customer service is good but getting your parts is sloooow.
    For a throw down they're hard to beat.
    The best part is handing it to your snob gun friends at the range and watching them curl their lips while touching it. LMAO!
    After messing around with it, satisfying my curiousity, I decided to sell it. Resale value is very poor.

What do a Hi-Point and a big fat girl have in common?
    They're both a lot of fun to use but you don't want any of your friends to see you doing it.
    Haha thanks for the reply. That’s pretty much what I wanted to know. I see them used for >150 and heard the warranty transfers to the next owner and can’t really think of anything else at that price that goes bang. The probability of it spending its life anywhere else besides the floorboard of a vehicle are slim, but would probably take it out with friends to see their reactions.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    My cousin had one and took it apart, then put it back together. But when he put it together, he did something wrong and could not disassemble it to get it right. I have taken a ton of guns apart, but I could not get it apart either. He had to send it to the factory.

Hippie Farmer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2020
    Atascosa County
    I bought one for a Birthday present for a friend. I told him about it and said I was going to play around with it a little until he had a chance to come and visit or me go to Amarillo to see him. I was really impressed with it. it was a lot more accurate than I expected. It was the 9mm model. I shot a hog with it at about 100 yards. It didn't kill it stayed on the ground long enough for me to hit him again. I ended up kind of customizing it with some accessories and decided to keep it for myself and just buy him a new one. It took me about 90 days to find another one in stock anywhere. So it became a Christmas present.

If you can get over the feel of a cheap, plastic trigger, I would recommend it for the purpose you mentioned. I've never had a problem with mine and my friend has never mentioned any problems with his, and that's been 5 or 6 years now.
    2nd am.jpg

Attachments

• 2nd am.jpg
      2nd am.jpg
      49.6 KB · Views: 524

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I have a friend that spends a lot of time fishing on the border between the US and Mexico. He keeps a Hi-Point on his boat, so that if he accidentally drifts onto the Mexico waters he can drop it overboard as the Federales are making their approach and not be out any serious money.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Not worth it. Cheap pot metal slides are fragile, and require the slide to be super bulky

Magazines are junk

Get a canik or a police trade in glock, S&W, etc.

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    I have owned several Hi Points over the years. They are heavy, bulky, ugly...but, they work. If you find a Hi Point pistol that won't run, the magazine lips are bent. With a good magazine and good ammo, they will run.

The Hi Point carbines are a hoot. Stick a cheap red dot on one and give it to a new shooter. He will be grinning ear to ear in no time.

Most of the people that like to bash a Hi Point have never shot one, let alone owned one.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Used to say my carbine was so ugly it was cute. But its not. it is just ugly. Son put 200 rounds thru it the other day. Cheapo steel cased trash ammo. Everything went well

DyeF9

In Thrust We Trust
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    My buddy had one, had a lot of failure to feed issues. Had a gunsmith polish the ramp and never really had any problems with it. It was a piece of crap, but it worked.

Top Bottom