Texas SOT

Anyone else get random phone calls constantly?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    On my cell phone I down loaded a free App which maintains a database of “problem” phone numbers. It seems to work mainly in the background. Occasionally it’ll ask me to preform a manual update. Any phone calls that get through to me, I block them (they get added to the App’s database). The App I use is called “Hiya”.
    ARJ Defense ad

Reactions: AKM

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    On numbers I suspect of being a real person I don't want to talk to I'm going to answer like this it's done they're dead there's a lot of blood send a clean up crew and then hang up
    Waiting for someone to call the cops on me I like to be fun.

Noggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2016
    I guess I get about 5 a week on my cell. I never answer them, one persistent caller keeps leaving voice mail messages telling me (referring to me by a name I have never heard of) that they have attempted to contact me many times (true) and that unless I contact them to take steps to resolve an outstanding debt, that they know where I live and will contact me by other means. Early on I left them a couple of voice mails to tell them they were "barking up the wrong tree" but it did no good now I just laugh at all the time they keep wasting following a dead trail.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    On my cell phone I down loaded a free App which maintains a database of “problem” phone numbers. It seems to work mainly in the background. Occasionally it’ll ask me to preform a manual update. Any phone calls that get through to me, I block them (they get added to the App’s database). The App I use is called “Hiya”.
    Yep, I use the app "Mr Number".

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I guess I get about 5 a week on my cell. I never answer them, one persistent caller keeps leaving voice mail messages telling me (referring to me by a name I have never heard of) that they have attempted to contact me many times (true) and that unless I contact them to take steps to resolve an outstanding debt, that they know where I live and will contact me by other means. Early on I left them a couple of voice mails to tell them they were "barking up the wrong tree" but it did no good now I just laugh at all the time they keep wasting following a dead trail.
    Use reverse look up to backtrack the number, the get the address and leave him a voice mail:

You call one more time and 1201 Maple St will be the new crack house on the block, in addition I am coming over sometime when you least expect it and take that fone of yours and shove it so far up your apex that every time it rings you are gonna chit uncontrollably in between farts.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I get 3-7 unwanted calls a day during the week. Sometimes 1 or 2 on the weekends. 90% of the calls display as Out of Area on the caller ID. Many of them have my same area code and exchange. Some have my area code and an illegitimate exchange. Never the same full number twice.

I've been getting these unwanted calls since 2009, when we got the phone number we have now. Back then, it was mostly debt collectors looking for the previous owner of my number. They pretty much stopped after 4 years. Now it's IRS scams, police and fire benevolent associations, lower your credit, switch energy companies, Cancer foundations, political polls, veterans relief aid, Direct TV, Research foundations. The Do Not Call list seems to only keep the honest businesses from cold calling.
    If not for the Digit One call blocker, we would have gone mad by now. :beat: I have my own area code blocked, plus about 40 other area codes and 20 or so individual numbers. Got a call Wednesday that showed "Illegal Scam" in the caller ID. Haven't figured that one out yet.

/Rant

Last edited:

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    It varies on my phone.
    Might go three/four days without and then BOOM, ten calls in one day. Usually its three or four a day.

PhulesAu

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 26, 2013
    Texas, Mostly
    I think it also has to do with your carriers policies. With Verizon I very rarely ever got calls like this, had to go cheap for service and use Cricket. everything works porting my phone and number, But I too am getting spammed. I think somebody sold a new customer list.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    I spoke too soon, now I have a debt collector calling. My phone isn't in my name(company plan) and I've never bought anything I didn't pay cash for.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Which came from the number of anyone who answers a robo call being harvested and added to a "Live Fresh Meat" list, then sold to other robo callers in the industry.

So, when my answering machine picks up on a robo call, does that count as someone answering it?

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    So, when my answering machine picks up on a robo call, does that count as someone answering it?

Yep, any working number that is answered is a target for more calls and ultimately goes into a "for sale" database to other spammers.

I switched my land line to Vonage (VOIP) about ten years ago then, signed up for nomorobo.
    That service, plus keeping the land line on an answering machine, has cut the robospam down about 95%.

Also have nomorobo on my iPhone. Doesn't work nearly as well because any incoming robo call, even it if is recognized as spam, still goes to voicemail after the number of rings in the device's Settings - that is due to the way the device itself handles phone calls, and no fault of nomoromo - making the app basically useless on an iPhone, don't know about Android.

Top Bottom